RR III 25SEP-01OCT 6 day

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by The Chad, Oct 1, 2015.

1. The Chad

The Chad Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chad
    Boat:
    SOLD
    We got back this morning and here is the short report.

Fishing was a challenge. Weather was rough a few days. Overall I had a blast. The boat is very nice and the crew was awesome. Traveled half the day and woke up the first day of fishing down to Jeronimo Island for what turned out to be wide open yellow tail in the 20 pound range with the occasional 25 pounder. Day two produced very few fish as we hunted around offshore a bit for tuna and wahoo. Day three we anchored at Bonita Island and scratched close to 100 YFT for the day with a few mixed in others. Of note, one of the deckhands hooked a 400 pound plus Black Sea bass which was released. I also landed a mako around 5-6 feet. Day four was back looking for tuna and wahoo and we landed 2 wahoo and a handful of tuna (I got a 35 pounder). Last day as we head home we stopped and found a few more yellows where the jackpot yellow was caught (33 pounds). Like I said it was a lot of fun and I managed to get decent numbers for what I wanted to keep that I passed off and gave away some.

Water was 78-80 degrees in most places. What worked as light line and small hooks (20-25 pound test with #2 to #6 size hooks). This meant many pulled hooks and brakoffs. Both wahoo hit the cowbell style lure. I'll try to post a few pictures later tomorrow.

LONG VERSION:
    Day 1

Great bait at the receivers, took a few hours to load up on 6-8 inch cured sardines. Held a safety seminar and then Gary Teraoka representing Calstar (trip sponsor) and Izorline and Accurate reels. Gary had great give away’s with everyone getting a Calstar T-shirt and a few other items.

Dinner was steak and asparagus

Day 2

Woke up at Jeronimo Island and started looking around. Water was greenish blue and around 73 degrees. Had 2 or 3 stops on yellowtail with only 2 or 3 coming over the rail. Around 9, Derrick moved the boat and set the anchor on what ended up being close to limits of Yellowtail coming over the rail over the course of the day. We caught them every way possible (fly line, yoyo, dropper loop) with the Bonito getting on use really bad as well. A few Calico Bass were caught and released along with white fish. The yellow tail we from 15-30 pounds with most being 20-25. We got back on the move around 5 after everyone had plenty of yellow tail. We left to look for Dorado and tuna and found water around 80 degrees and a few paddies. We stopped on a few paddies for a small number of Dorado and set course for the wahoo hunt tomorrow. Of note, Leo caught approximately an 80# black seabass (and promptly released it) – and won a Calstar 800 MH for the biggest fish of the day (non-shark or billfish).

Breakfast was eggs to order, toast, and potatoes.

Lunch was bratwurst with peppers and onions

Dinner was chicken with rice and broccoli

Day 3

Started off looking around Cedros looking for signs of life and onoly found tons of bonito. Much of the water had rolled and turned green. Left there and headed to Benito and saw good signs of life with some scattered tuna, but no biters. We caught very few fish today. There were signs of tuna, but only one was caught (Gary on the kite). Less than 10 yellowtail came over the rail. A few calicos, sheepshead, and other rock fish were caught and released. Highlights were another 80# black seabass (released) – and won a Calstar 700 L for the biggest fish of the day (non-shark or billfish). I caught a 5 foot Mako which will be dinner tomorrow. Anchored at Benito over night with hopes with the currents will shift and the fish will bite.

Breakfast was blueberry pancakes, sausage, and eggs

Lunch was enchiladas with black beans

Dinner was ribs with spicy beans, corn, and corn bread

Day 4

We woke up to scattered yellowfin around us. It was far from wide open but we managed around 100 YFT in the 20-30 # class with a few at 40#. There were a few yellowtails that came over the rail as well. We got to us the kite today and 11 people got to catch a YFT on the kite setup. It was pretty cool to see it all work. I landed 6 decent YFT and threw back a few. The theme of the day was light line and small hooks because the fish were line shy. Because of this, we farmed a bunch (I lost 10 personally to hook pulls and breakoffs). We had a few wahoo show up and run off just as fast. 2 of them were hooked and both got away. The highlight of today was one of the deckhands Nick caught a huge black seabass (estimated around 500 pounds). We are now almost out of bait and running to make bait tonight and then back to anchor at the same spot we fished today to try it again. And as a bonus I just found out that my 30# YFT was the largest fish of the day (deckhands are not included) so I won a 500 yard spool of spectra, a spool of 40# XXX in smoke color, a T-shirt, a hat, some floro, and a 50 dollar gift card all from our trip sponsors Izorline and Baja fish. Pretty cool!

Breakfast – chorizo and eggs

Lunch – very good yellowtail fish tacos

Dinner – lasagna.

Day 5

Started trying to make bait at about 2200 then again at 0300 with very limited results. Never got good greenies and ended up with a lot of larger Spanish macs and big bait overall. Got back to our spot a little late back at Benito and just never found any fish. We trolled and looked around a bit and got 2 wahoo on the troll. Headed offshore and found many dry paddies. Overall we pulled 5 yellowtail, 2 wahoo, 4 YFT. I managed a 35 pound YFT on the troll when everyone walked away from the rods and no one was present to watch the troll. When I walked by the entire trolling team was gone and the rod that was hit was very close to being spooled. I yelled hook up and still no one came to the rod to as the boat stopped I unclipped the rod and reeled in the fish. It ended up the guy was my roommate and was not feeling well so he went to take a nap. The ride is a bit rough tonight as the sea state kicked up and we are heading into it. A few folks are sea sick.

Breakfast – French toast and bacon

Lunch – burgers and fries

Dinner – corned beef and cabbage.

Day 6

Circled Benito and then headed for San Martin Island. Wind picked up a lot so we were very slow heading up the line. Made a few drifts over the high spots for some decent yellowtails (the jackpot yellowtail was picked up here). After a few hours the captain called it and we broke down our gear and headed home.

It was a very fun trip for me and I hope to go back on it (or a longer trip) next year. Great boat and great crew.

DSC01149.JPG DSC01152.JPG DSC01153.JPG image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. rockfish123

rockfish123 Newbie

Name:
    Stan
    Boat:
    None
    Sounds like you caught enough to hand off and give away, but there was a bit of tough fishing involved. Wide open yellowtail sounds like fun to me. I just picked up my yellowtail from 5 star from my trip and it looks gooood. Get some sleep and I look forward to some pics!

jimbo450 and The Chad like this.
  3. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Thanks for the report Chad. Sounds like you did ok...

The Chad likes this.
  4. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Thanks for the report, Chad! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Yes, there is some tough fishing out there right now depending on conditions. The YT take work, Wahoo is a gift, but most YFT are tiny!

- Jeff

The Chad likes this.
  5. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    You scored in some tough conditions, congrats

The Chad likes this.
  6. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Chad, when you say hook size #2 to #6, I gather you only had anchovies and no sardines?

7. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Thanks for the report. I saw the pictures of Nick's Black Sea Bass, man, that thing was a monster! Congrats on a fun trip.

-Connor

The Chad likes this.
  8. The Chad

Name:
    Chad
    Boat:
    SOLD
    Nope, this was with sardines. The tuna were very line/hook shy. I tried almost every combination but it was my 25 pound setup with #4 hooks that gave me a balance of getting a bite and being able to land the fish. And this is what the captain recommended us to use. 25 pound tunas on this setup were lots of fun.

9. Paul Dennis

Paul Dennis Member

Name:
    Paul Dennis
    Boat:
    26 ft Boulton
    Great recon. I got on the nov. 2 8 day and will bring some light gear just in case.

The Chad likes this.
  10. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Great report and pictures! For next time, if you are in a bite where the bonito are getting to the bait before the yellowtail, try cutting a small slab off the side or belly of the bonito and dropping it down, chunk-bait style. The bonito don't seem to want to eat their own, but yellowtail love those big chunks!

The Chad likes this.
  11. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    I just got real hungry for some reason.

Lake and The Chad like this.
  12. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Sounds like another successful and fun Long Range trip. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

13. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Say Chad was Mike & Cheffy in the galley? There a great team. That boat has a great crew.Wih Nick back I booked (2) 15 day trips on the Rooster. Wow a 10+ on those pic's and the report.

14. The Chad

Name:
    Chad
    Boat:
    SOLD
    It was RJ and Cheffy in the kitchen this trip. Nick, Nate, Ferdando, and Matt as deckhands and Derrick as captain. It was a very great crew that went out of their way to make everything a great trip

Pangamaster likes this.
  15. Looney37

Looney37 Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    190 montauk
    Great report man thanks. Bet you are beat.

16. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Derrick knows what's he doing. I haven't fished a #4 hook in many years, but I have them. Glad you were able to put fish on the deck. I saw Nick's Black Sea Bass. I'm glad it was able to get back down to live more years.

Soda Pop and The Chad like this.