Rpt.-Wed.-12-07-16 a 1.5 day on the O-95 No skunk this time!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tunaslam, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    So disappointed in striking out last week while targeting the big Bluefin, I just couldn’t stand it anymore, when I heard the Fortune had scored 20 Bluefin today, Tuesday. So I booked another trip on the Oceanside 95, which departed on Tuesday night at 8pm, fishing Wednesday 12-07-16 and returning Thursday morning at 8am.

My relationship with Mother Wind this year has been on the worse of terms, and nothing changed for this trip, in fact she was more of a Bitch than usual on this trip! As Tuna Ron keeps saying, I am a wind magnet!

Departure Tuesday 12-06-16.

I left my home in Diamond Bar at 4:45 pm and headed south to Oceanside; first stopping at the Longfin Tackle store to pick up some Glow in the Dark sliding sinkers in the 3oz. and 2oz. range having only 1.5 oz. in my tackle box. I arrived in Oceanside at 6:30 pm.

I was second in line; with Hot stick Steve ahead of me and then Jackpot winner Patrick was soon to join us in line. The boat began boarding at 7:30 pm. There were 18 anglers booked for the trip. We shoved off right at 8:00 pm, facing a 90 mile drive to the Tanner Bank.

Captain Rick gathered everyone in the galley to cover the game plan. We would arrive at the bank at around 4:30 am, if all went well, although the windy forecast was an obvious obstacle? We will be fishing with live or fresh frozen Squid, as they had a 8 to 10 scoops of live squid on board. Captain Rick suggested that no one use anything less than 60 pound test, as the fish were not line shy and very mean! Glow in the dark Flat Falls, Glow in the dark sliding sinkers in the 2 to 3 oz. range were the keys to success. Although some anglers have been successful using 8 oz. torpedo sinkers.

Fishing Wednesday-12-07-16.

The ride out started very calm until we reached an area about 30 miles from the bank, at 1am, when the seas and wind became very nasty. It was a long and bumpy ride for the next 30 miles and then got worse.

Captain Rick said we would be arriving at the bank around 6am. With the wind blowing around 20 to 25 knots, and with 7 to 8 foot seas very close together, the conditions were again ugly.

We started a drift just after grey light and I hooked a Bluefin on my 100 pound dropper loop outfit with an 8 oz. torpedo sinker just minutes into the drift. I heard shouts of several other hook ups, as my fish took a good first run. Gad these fish are mean in this cold water? I was fortunate as my fish was content in staying in the same general area during the entire fight.

I used the rail as much as possible, as this heavy outfit was not to my liking in stand up fishing. I put a lot of pressure on the fish, and declined to increase the drag beyond strike position, set at about 60 pound line pressure and would only go to more drag if necessary. After about a 15 minute battle, I worked the fish from deep color quickly to the surface, where Murecio and another crew member stuck the fish inches apart in the head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think big Bluefin was in the 50 pound range. We lost our other three hookups. I had the honor of first fish on deck. Later in the same drift several more fish were hooked and landed. One was caught on a Flat Fall that was seal bit, and here Tyrone caught his on a 3 oz. sliding sinker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried a Flat Fall, more Dropper loop, and sliding sinkers and could not buy a bite on anything the rest of the day. I dropped down to 50 pound and still didn’t get a sniff. This is the toughest fishing I have ever experienced, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how to get bit. Lady Luck plays a big role, and just being in the right place at the right time.

Hot stick Steve had four hookups and landed three Bluefin, he caught two on Torpedo sinkers and rubber bands, with one caught on the slider. Patrick hooked three Bluefin, one on the Flat Fall, one on a slider and one on a Torpedo sinker. Eddie caught two on the slider.

Here is Patrick with one of his two Bluefin, he won the jackpot with about a 55 pounder:

[​IMG]

Our best drift was I think four fish, out of the eventual 12 landed, a bloody mess:

[​IMG]

We probably had 25+ hookups to land 12 Bluefin. Late in the day Blanca, Tyrone’s girlfriend who had lost her first hook up to a pulled hook, landed this beauty:

[​IMG]

We made drift after drift where most of the hookups were on 3 oz. sliding sinkers. The scope out was ridiculous, as I dropped down with a 12 oz. sinker a number of times could not hold bottom for ½ a minute. The weather never improved. The seas had numerous 10 to 12 footers, as we rocked and rolled all day and into the night.

The sunset was very nice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hooked no fish between 11:30 am and 2:30 pm, when on back to back drift’s we hooked two on each drift. That was it. Two of our Bluefin were in the 15 to 25 pound class. We also lost about four Tuna to the seals and several others were badly bitten.

We made several ½ hour drifts in the dark, with very few fish metered. Captain Rick called it at 7pm. The night bite has not reappeared for several weeks now. All during the day the meter contained fish, with Captain Rick calling out the depths which varied from 70 feet to 270 feet. We were the only Sport boat out there today.

We arrived at the dock at 6:00 am Thursday morning.

The crew and Captain worked their tails off and considering such lousy weather, we did well. Cook Doug continued to serve tasty food, with dinner consisting of Pork Tenderloin, mashed potatoes, creamed corn and for desert Vanilla Ice cream and homemade brownies.

This is most likely my last trip this year for Bluefin, just too much work. This old body of 69 years does not like standing at the rail for 12 hours without a single hook up! Sore back, sore legs and aching arms! I need an occasional adrenalin rush to sustain such effort! Darn it sucks getting old. Certainly I was not alone as other anglers on the boat faced the same scenario, and those that lost a fish hard earned; what a bummer.

Yep tough fishing, but the thrill of catching these magnificent fish is beyond words and keeps us coming back for more abuse! Hat’s off to those with the skill and endurance to hook multiple fish and land them.

Good luck to all and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Hook up! Cory

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Nudle

Nudle Member

Name:
    SONNY
    Boat:
    NONE
    Thanks for the report and nice fish.

Matty Be~all and Tunaslam like this.
  3. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Bangarang

Name:
    flyhigh123
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    congrats cory! i've been there too... tough

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Great report Cory and congrats on scoring. I gotta say, my hat is off to you for your perseverance. Already at my age (34) I have no interest in fishing the Tanner in those conditions.

5. Baller

Baller Lives for fishing the surface iron..!!!

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Way to tough it out..!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Nice work Corey, way to not let the last trip get you down and then end on a high note!

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Jonathan, much appreciated, coming from a diehard and skilled ffisherman such as you!

Cash Money likes this.
  8. larry dickson

larry dickson Member

Name:
    Chuck Roast
    Boat:
    20' Skip
    Thanks for the great report, made me feel like I was there on the boat with you, and preserving pays off, never give up! And heck yea I would be out there after those fish to, however I just had a prostratectomy 4 weeks ago. How often do we have this opportunity in our own backyard in December on tuna of this quality. WTG!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Gotta love December bluefin

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. brokenseal

brokenseal I'm not surprised MFrs

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    67 Silverline
    Its always a pleasure reading your reports!! Its like I was there. Just awesome!
    congrats on well deserved success.

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. Joefisherman

Joefisherman Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    none
    Nice going Cory -

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. furgus

furgus Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    I finally landed a fish at 10pm on my trip. i could barely turn the handle at the end. it was a long day at the rail.
    Nice report, thanks

Foss and Tunaslam like this.
  13. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Way to go! BIG congratulations, well deserved victory! Yeah, the standing and rocking is horrible on an older back, I wear kneepads to brace into the side of the boat, and a weightlifting back support, and STILL require max doses of ibuprofen pills to hang in there.
    I have a friend who is still clean from heroin after over thirty years. He shakes his head at me and tells me that offshore fishing is desperately in need of a 12-Step Program and ongoing support group meetings.

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    I told you not to throw in the towel last week, their is a fish out their with your number on it. You won the battle, Very nice fish and not giving up!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Great report as usual Cory. Nice seeing you today, and THANK YOU for the fish!

Aggro and Tunaslam like this.
  16. Maverick

Maverick Member

Name:
    Bart Hyter
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack
    Good meeting you Cory, glad you caught that tuna right off the bat. That weather sure was ugly.

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR

18. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Cory you are the man nice report

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. fish&snow

fish&snow lurker

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Reel Freedom
    Nice catch!
    :rockin:

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. soulwinner

soulwinner jeremiah 9:23,24

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    cobra
    along with being a good fisherman Youve got some writing chops too! I appreciate the details & try to do the same when I make a report. the last couple trips out to the tanner bank has me recently shopping for some good foul weather gear. thinkin maybe grunden bibs or something that offers more warmth not sure yet.

funny when winter offshore fishing some people born in cold climates wearing shorts & tshirt guy next to him wearing a arctic snow suit:eek: . These fish are still hanging around looks like friday might be ok weather wise & good moon phase too.

Tunaslam likes this.