Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Fishing with Dave Robinson, on his 28’ Farallon “Hooked”, with friends Jim, Stan and Jeff.. We left Dave’s slip in Newport Harbor at 5:15 am Wednesday morning. Our destination being San Clemente Island, past the East End, and Pyramid Point, around the Navy Destroyer, Warship 104 and on to the backside.

The air was ice cold, the skies were crystal clear, and the wind was out of the North at about 6-8 knots, with the seas having only a minimal bump, allowing us to cruise at 23 knots. Passing the East end of Catalina the seas increased and so did the winds, reaching 10+ knots, reducing our speed somewhat. Arriving at Pyramid Point we hailed Warship 104 and received permission to pass outside of them, some eight miles out of our way, oh well beats the alternative, not fishing?

Finally Dave reached a waypoint that had promising marks, let em go! My first drop with a 8 oz Jax Jig with a shrimp fly resulted in being hammered as I reached the bottom. Up comes the first Red of the day. An immediate drop back down with my duel Lusanus knockoff outfit, hit bottom, a couple of cranks and wham, another good hit. A second Red hits the deck.

My first two Reds of the day:

002.jpg

Dave, Jeff and Stan caught Bocaccio, while Jim added a Red to the Mix. On their second drops a few Santa Marias and a Bank Perch were caught. Dave set us back up and the bite slowed down, with only a few more bait size Green stripes came aboard. Moving up the line another set of good marks came on the screen and we all dropped down. Stan was first to reach bottom and got absolutely smoked. Drag screamed and the rod was bent over double. Some big head shakes, and a slow crank to the surface with several more runs. Has got to be a Lingcod? Yep, a nice ten pounder:

005.jpg

We all caught a mix of fish, with more Reds, Starries, Santa Marias, Bank Perch, Chili Peppers, and the ever extinct Bocaccio.

Captain Dave had a good couple of drops with these two Reds, alongside Stan’s Lingcod:

006.jpg

By10am it was T-shirt weather, the winds had backed off to nil, and it was balmy out. The fishing was far from wide open, although we always managed to catch a few fish on every drop. We hit a good sized rock and the Reds were on the chew. I got hammered on the crank and pulled up a double, while everyone else came up with Reds, except Stan. He once again got belted as soon as he reached bottom and thought he had the bottom, however, the major head shakes indicated he once again had hooked a Lingcod. As he brought the big Ling to the surface Dave made a great Head shot. This Ling was a bit bigger at 12 pounds:

003.jpg

At 1pm the white caps made their appearance, and the hookups became few and far between. Holding bottom was difficult at best. Dave moved us into shallower water, hoping for better results. Not much to write home about. Although I managed to catch one last big Bocaccio:

008.jpg

We moved from big rock to big rock in under 200 feet, but the results remained the same, very few biters. It was now blowing over 15 knots and time to call it a day at 3:10pm, we headed home. We finished the day with 26 Reds, the two Lings, and enough miscellaneous Rockfish to fill our limits.

Thanks Dave, for another fun adventure. Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
WAY TO GOOOOOOOOO CORY AND DAVE,GUYS...nice load of meat there!
Glad you guys went yard to San Clemente and SCORED!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Cory, W-in-TF were you doin' on top of the cabin?
It's the the wind blown look you're sportin'. :rofl:
Nice job on the fish, wouldn't expect anything else/less from you.

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
Cory,
Great job on both the fishing and the report. You guys always do well out there.
What was Stan using when he got the lings? Was he set up differently than the rest of you, or was he just lucky twice to have the ling eat it?

One other question: have you guys ever worked the front side rocks? I've had good luck on the back, but it's nasty back there on a lot of days. I keep meaning to scout the front for rockfish and haven't done it yet. I'd love to know if anyone else has found some good spots on the quiet side of the island.

Thanks for the report. I'm hoping to make a run out there before the end of the month.

JD

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Cory, W-in-TF were you doin' on top of the cabin?
It's the the wind blown look you're sportin'. :rofl:
Nice job on the fish, wouldn't expect anything else/less from you.

Yep John, forgot to put my hat back on, you should of seen the pic before I cropped it? Funny stuff, damn I need more hair, and boy am I getting old, such is life?
Cory

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Cory,
Great job on both the fishing and the report. You guys always do well out there.
What was Stan using when he got the lings? Was he set up differently than the rest of you, or was he just lucky twice to have the ling eat it?

One other question: have you guys ever worked the front side rocks? I've had good luck on the back, but it's nasty back there on a lot of days. I keep meaning to scout the front for rockfish and haven't done it yet. I'd love to know if anyone else has found some good spots on the quiet side of the island.

Thanks for the report. I'm hoping to make a run out there before the end of the month.

JD

Hey JD, we only fish the front when the back is unavailable or unfishable. Much slower fishing on the front, have to work hard to put any quality on board. i'm sure if more time was spent looking you might do better.
Good luck if you get out.
Cory

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Thanks Cory for another great report and catch! That is exactly the trip that I've been trying to plan. Nice fish as usual.... You guys have done well on the front side as well right? Same boat last year? Again, nice haul Cory.

See previous post for comment on front, and yes same boat.
Cory

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
Hey JD, we only fish the front when the back is unavailable or unfishable. Much slower fishing on the front, have to work hard to put any quality on board. i'm sure if more time was spent looking you might do better.
Good luck if you get out.
Cory

Thanks for that info. Any help on the lings? Was Stan using different jig/bait than the rest of you to get those 2 lings? If its top secret, no problem.

thanks either way.

JD

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Thanks for that info. Any help on the lings? Was Stan using different jig/bait than the rest of you to get those 2 lings? If its top secret, no problem.

thanks either way.

JD

Stan was using a knockoff Lusanus tipped with squid! It was just his day, however, both Dave and I lost Lings on Jax Jigs half way up, both fish unbuttoned after violent head shakes. Mine took some healthy drag on 40 pound line when first hooked!

Cory

Upvote 0

Reuben

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 23, 2008
Socal
Name
Reuben
Boat
Boat
Nice Report Cory!

Man, Dave sure has one sweet rig! That 28' is such a nice platform to fish from. Ive noticed over the years that Dave seems to have some very good stones in his GPS.

What engine is in pushing that Farallon?

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Nice Report Cory!

Man, Dave sure has one sweet rig! That 28' is such a nice platform to fish from. Ive noticed over the years that Dave seems to have some very good stones in his GPS.

What engine is in pushing that Farallon?

Volvo Penta Diesel, not sure the HP perhaps 230-260?

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
Stan was using a knockoff Lusanus tipped with squid! It was just his day, however, both Dave and I lost Lings on Jax Jigs half way up, both fish unbuttoned after violent head shakes. Mine took some healthy drag on 40 pound line when first hooked!

Cory

Thanks, Cory. I haven't had much luck on the lings, but maybe I just need to get out more. Nice job.

JD

Upvote 0