Rpt.-Wed.-11-19-14 Catalina Tails on the Ducky!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I went fishing Wed. 11-19-14, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Los Alamitos at 5:00 am, our beginning destination being the West End of Catalina, targeting Yellowtail.

We stopped at Nachos for a generous half scoop of cured sardines. There is a lot less demand this time of year? We also wanted to add some mini Macs to the bait tank, so we stopped along the wall in several places to no avail. Lal had metered lots of bait out at the 105 so we headed in that direction to find some, not to be?

The sunrise in crystal clear skies was very nice:

[​IMG]

Our trip included a 1’ wind chop which allowed us to cruise at 20 knots. The forecast called for little wind, 5 to 6 knots in the morning with the afternoon rising to 10 to 12 knots. Well, the weatherman was close, as it was a bit breezier in the morning and nicer in the afternoon? Some 8 miles from the Island it greased up and we increased our speed to 26 knots. We made the west end by 7:30 am.

We passed Eagle Rock and took a look at West Cove in about 95 feet of water. There were lobster pots everywhere. We had some great marks on the meter and elected to drift the area. The water temp was 66.7 degrees and later rose to 67.3 degrees. Neither of us had seen such clear water in quite some time. It was almost Caribbean quality, yet a bit deeper blue in color. You could literally see the bottom in 37 feet of depth, which we entered later in the day.

I setup a dropper loop outfit and began to Yo Yo Iron. Lal elected to fly line and also used the Yo Yo Iron. The marks were driving us crazy, big inverted V’s! I finally got bumped on the Iron, and shortly thereafter Lal had our first hookup. He landed an 8 pound Tail. Then I got bit on Iron and landed about a four pounder. Was going to release it, however, it was hooked deep and was bleeding profusely. Oh well the young ones are sweet Hamachi!

We drifted out of the fish and moved back up the line. Lal got bit on the fly line and landed a 4 pound Bonito. Then my dropper loop outfit got bit and with the typical head shakes of a Yellowtail it was promising. Yep it was about five+ pounds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the current died and we got mobbed by seals. Every bait thrown was eaten by the seals, even the dropper loop, and the meter marks disappeared? Gad, how quickly things can change?

It was a little before 9am and around the corner came the Pursuit, which had been hammering the Yellowtail lately. They continued down the backside of the island and stopped just before Iron Bound Cove. Having nothing but seals to deal with we moved down the island. Before we arrived, the Pursuit had moved on. Another private boater, who had fished on the Pursuit Monday, and they caught 72 Yellowtail, said that the area was just dead? We watched the Pursuit run out towards the Farnsworth Bank. We had no interest in following them.

We fished Iron Bound and the Ribbon for nothing, even though we found some nice marks. So we worked our way back to Eagle Rock. There remained no current and the drift was all messed up. The seals were on us in no time and we said enough of this, so we moved to the front of the Island. We took a look at Johnson’s Rock, Black Rock, Starlight and the Isthmus. We saw nothing of interest. We moved up the Island to Empire and made a drift in 90’ of water. In shallow water of about 45 feet Lal got bit on a fly lined Sardine. It was a very good sized Bonito in the 7 pound range.

Lal with one of the half dozen big Bonito we caught:

[​IMG]

I began fly lining with my Bass gear and 20 Lb. test line. First cast and I had a fish on. It was a total blast of catching the bigger Bonito on lighter gear. We caught a few more between us before once again the seals were on us and every bait was stolen by the seals.

It was still a beautiful day, the water clarity as good as it gets, and the ride back to the dock extraordinary, grease conditions most of the way. Arrived at 3pm.

Thanks Lal, we found and caught the targeted species, although not in size and quantity we had hoped? It was still a fun day on the big pond!

Hook up! Cory

2. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Another excellent report from the master! Great effort, thanks for taking me along vicariously!

Simon Bon Bowery likes this.
  3. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Cory, love the way you guys get out so often. Better yet, that you 2 write up great reports. Thanks

Simon Bon Bowery likes this.
  4. Cheech

Cheech Member

Name:
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Great read... I was in the moment, fishing along, enjoying your day! Thanks for the great report and enjoy that Hamachi.
    Jeff

5. Simon Bon Bowery

Simon Bon Bowery Lizard Fish Hippie

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    X2, love your reports...

Sounds like a day in paradise to me...

6. deathwish0157

deathwish0157 Newbie

Name:
    will
    Boat:
    don mazzetti
    Thanks for the report sounds like you had a blast

7. antdog562

antdog562 Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    22' bayrunner
    nice fish, great report

8. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Another fine report, thanks Cory.

9. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice work boys! Looks like a nice day over there - like most.

10. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Gary quote
    "Another excellent report from the master! Great effort, thanks for taking me along vicariously!"

When I write I attempt to relive the moments, glad you can join me on the ride Gary!

Different Gary quote
    "Cory, love the way you guys get out so often. Better yet, that you 2 write up great reports. Thanks"

Much appreciated Gary!

Jeff Quote
    "Great read... I was in the moment, fishing along, enjoying your day! Thanks for the great report and enjoy that Hamachi.
    Jeff"

Thanks Jeff the Hamachi was outstanding!

11. smidge

smidge Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Stardust, Intrepid, Island Spirit
    Sweet!

12. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Good job guys!!! At trip to the island is always good....regardless of the catch.

13. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Cory, my go to spot for mackerel out of Alamitos is the rig off to your left as you exit. Fish around the navigation buoys about 100 yards off the rigs. I don't even bother with the bait receivers or the break wall anymore.

14. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Nice report!

15. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up SM!

16. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Excellent report as always Cory.

You and Lal are fish magnets!!!

17. peteking

peteking Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana

Name:
    Pete King
    Boat:
    Ohana
    :cheers: Thanks for another great post, Lal and Corey. Catalina is my favorite place on earth. It had to be awesome just to be there!