Rpt.-Wed.-07-03-19 Cat. where I violated my Doctor's orders!

PENN

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
So I spent Tuesday evening with Morris at his Townhouse in Huntington Harbor where his boat is slipped. We left the slip containing his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” at about 4:30am.

As we exited the very breezy harbor, the seas were knarly, the skies very overcast, and there was lots of wind, shocking! We stopped at Nachos for a generous ½ scoop of sensational Sardines.

The ride over to Catalina was very unpleasant. There were washing machine conditions, white caps and a very bumpy ride. We arrived at Empire at a little after 7am. There was one other private boater in the area. Water temps were 68 degrees, amazing, but the water color was not Catalina Blue, clear, but off color green/blue. There was some current. There was no wind, which we had left at about three miles earlier.

We drifted in 100 feet of water, with some incredible marks on the meter. I fly lined a sardine on 20 pound, while Morris chunked some frozen sardines and chose to put a chunk on his hook, as he was here last week and destroyed the Calico Bass on chunk bait, choosing not to buy any live sardines.

We picked a Calico Bass here and there, and a few under sized Barracuda. Morris chose to move us into shallower water, where he had caught his best Calico Bass last week. As we moved, I slowed trolled a sardine. It got slammed numerous times and eventually I hooked a nicer size Calico Bass in the 3+ pound range. It was in full spawning colors.

Jugular-Cat-07-03-19 2019-07-02 001 (1024x768).jpg Jugular-Cat-07-03-19 2019-07-02 002 (968x1024).jpg

We chummed frozen squid and frozen sardine chunks and the Calico Bass went ballistic in the shallower water, about 40 feet. It was wide open fishing for Calico Bass, with a few Barracuda mixed in. None of the Barracuda were 28 inches, close, but no cigar. Most of the Calico Bass were 13.5 inches or smaller. This is a very rich resource. No doubt the size and limit change implemented by the DFG has had incredible results for this species.

Morris with a nice Calico Bass

Jugular-Cat-07-03-19 2019-07-03 001 (1024x792).jpg

We moved around in the area looking for the targeted species Yellowtail? We seemed to meter some, but could not get them to bite. The Native Sun moved into the area and anchored up about a 100 yards from our drift. We chose to also anchor up. Both of us were just off the MLPA area.

With the chum from the Native Sun, the Yellowtail began to boil around. They hooked a few that we could see. The darn Calico Bass became a pest. We had Yellowtail boiling off our stern, yet as soon as a sardine hit the water, the Calico Bass attacked it with a vengeance.

Finally after catching and releasing well over 100 Calico Bass, I tossed a bait into the mouth of the right kind. My 25 pound outfit was being tested and the line screamed off my reel. It was a really good fight, as the big Tail took plenty of line, sounded and pulled like hell. I worked the fish hard, not wanting to hand it off, as my Doctor would of preferred? It repeatedly took runs, and didn’t want any part of being near our boat. Finally Morris sunk the gaff, and I landed my first Post surgery Yellowtail in the 20 pound range.

Jugular-Cat-07-03-19 2019-07-02 003 (442x1024).jpg Jugular-Cat-07-03-19 2019-07-02 004 (447x1024).jpg

Jugular-Cat-07-03-19 2019-07-02 005 (768x1024).jpg

We watched Yellowtail boil off the stern of the Native Sun and off to our side and deep into our stern, yet we could not encourage another bite. The Calico Bass were relentless and we released at least 150+. It was Crazy fishing for Calico’s? We ran out of bait at around 1:30 pm and called it a day. The wind had backed off and the ride back home was excellent.

Thanks so much Morris, what a fantastic day.

I can’t wait until we do it again.

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC
Great job Cory! Seriously though, my favorite part of fishing is swinging on a fresh one. Until the doc says go for it, hook em and hand em off. I know that's really tough but it's the right thing to do for now. Excellent report as always.

Upvote 0

boxofrain

The lure of failure is irresistible
Jul 6, 2007
san Juan Capistrano
Name
Ed Schmitt
Boat
Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
Cool report. Glad you were able to get away with vioating Doctor's orders and are feeling well, but be careful you don't unbutton his tailoring.

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

seadancer

Almost A Member
Jul 2, 2007
Westminster, CA
Name
Craig Gilbert
Boat
none
Handing off a big fish can be unnatural.
Could be the jackpot fish.
However, if your drag was set at 8lb or so you were maybe ok.
100+ Calicos = 300+lbs
A warmup for 20# YT
Great report!

Upvote 0

Mickdick

Nov 9, 2014
Thousand Oaks
Name
Jason
Boat
Parker 2310
So I spent Tuesday evening with Morris at his Townhouse in Huntington Harbor where his boat is slipped. We left the slip containing his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” at about 4:30am.

As we exited the very breezy harbor, the seas were knarly, the skies very overcast, and there was lots of wind, shocking! We stopped at Nachos for a generous ½ scoop of sensational Sardines.

The ride over to Catalina was very unpleasant. There were washing machine conditions, white caps and a very bumpy ride. We arrived at Empire at a little after 7am. There was one other private boater in the area. Water temps were 68 degrees, amazing, but the water color was not Catalina Blue, clear, but off color green/blue. There was some current. There was no wind, which we had left at about three miles earlier.

We drifted in 100 feet of water, with some incredible marks on the meter. I fly lined a sardine on 20 pound, while Morris chunked some frozen sardines and chose to put a chunk on his hook, as he was here last week and destroyed the Calico Bass on chunk bait, choosing not to buy any live sardines.

We picked a Calico Bass here and there, and a few under sized Barracuda. Morris chose to move us into shallower water, where he had caught his best Calico Bass last week. As we moved, I slowed trolled a sardine. It got slammed numerous times and eventually I hooked a nicer size Calico Bass in the 3+ pound range. It was in full spawning colors.

View attachment 1043345 View attachment 1043346

We chummed frozen squid and frozen sardine chunks and the Calico Bass went ballistic in the shallower water, about 40 feet. It was wide open fishing for Calico Bass, with a few Barracuda mixed in. None of the Barracuda were 28 inches, close, but no cigar. Most of the Calico Bass were 13.5 inches or smaller. This is a very rich resource. No doubt the size and limit change implemented by the DFG has had incredible results for this species.

Morris with a nice Calico Bass

View attachment 1043350

We moved around in the area looking for the targeted species Yellowtail? We seemed to meter some, but could not get them to bite. The Native Sun moved into the area and anchored up about a 100 yards from our drift. We chose to also anchor up. Both of us were just off the MLPA area.

With the chum from the Native Sun, the Yellowtail began to boil around. They hooked a few that we could see. The darn Calico Bass became a pest. We had Yellowtail boiling off our stern, yet as soon as a sardine hit the water, the Calico Bass attacked it with a vengeance.

Finally after catching and releasing well over 100 Calico Bass, I tossed a bait into the mouth of the right kind. My 25 pound outfit was being tested and the line screamed off my reel. It was a really good fight, as the big Tail took plenty of line, sounded and pulled like hell. I worked the fish hard, not wanting to hand it off, as my Doctor would of preferred? It repeatedly took runs, and didn’t want any part of being near our boat. Finally Morris sunk the gaff, and I landed my first Post surgery Yellowtail in the 20 pound range.

View attachment 1043347 View attachment 1043348

View attachment 1043349

We watched Yellowtail boil off the stern of the Native Sun and off to our side and deep into our stern, yet we could not encourage another bite. The Calico Bass were relentless and we released at least 150+. It was Crazy fishing for Calico’s? We ran out of bait at around 1:30 pm and called it a day. The wind had backed off and the ride back home was excellent.

Thanks so much Morris, what a fantastic day.

I can’t wait until we do it again.

Hook up! Cory
Awesome!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Way to go Cory, please take care of yourself!

Upvote 0

Ed Y

Sep 19, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Ed
Boat
BW Montauk 170
Excellent. Great to see your reports again! Once you get the chum line in that area, it can definitely be non-stop Calicos. The other week I was out was very much the same (only without the YT).

Upvote 0