Rpt.-Wed.-02-21-18 Deep Freeze Local Bass fishing.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    With the deep freeze in place for sunny California, Lal and I decided that a late start under a full sunrise was doable, forgoing an early start in frigid conditions in an open boat such as the Ducky. It was also a short window of less wind, although the swells could be a concern? So I went fishing Wednesday 02-21-18, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”.

We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 7:15 am. Off in the distance, over the Rigs, the skies were filled with huge threatening dark clouds, obviously dumping rain. It appeared they were headed south, and we were going north, so we dodged a bullet. A shame that on land we need water desperately, yet it is open season on the ocean, not yet short on water?

Fortunately the wind was somewhat calm, with a bit of a breeze out of the Northeast, never good. We exited the harbor at Queen’s gate into an unusual south swell, opposite of normal. Mother wind was forecasted to be very calm at 4 to 5 knots in the morning, with perhaps only a little more wind in the afternoon at 6 to 8, not likely if their record holds true?

Water temps were 55.5 in the harbor and rose up to 56.7 at the Shoe. We stopped on marks where we had success the last several weeks. There is lots of structure and plenty of hard bottom here. The meter was lit up, with bait everywhere from on the surface all the way down. The Bass should have been on fire, yet it was unbelievably slow. Not even a slow pick, there was a ripping current and we drifted quickly with the wind.

With the fast drift we both elected to use “Roddy” our extra outfit in the rod holder. We both used mostly 4 inch Clear Red Flake Plastics. I caught a 10 inch Calico Bass and Lal caught a 1.5 pound Sand Bass in the first hour. In the next hour Lal added a couple more Sandie’s and a Calico Bass, while I landed one Sand Bass and a decent sized Sculpin.

Despite incredible readings on the meter in numerous areas, we could not entice the Bass or Rockfish to bite. Something was certainly off; the Bass had total Lockjaw, as did everything else. There was lots of bird activity everywhere, not surprising as there were acres of bait all over.

Bailing on the west end of the Shoe we moved four miles south into another promising area of good structure and hard bottom. The meter readings remained unreal, yet noting wanted anything to do with our plastics. After three hours we picked up 2 more Bass, and that was it. Somedays you simply have to shake your head and holler uncle. Water temps had risen to 58.5 degrees and the seas were settling down.

The beer was cold; the fresh made Albacore Tuna salad sandwiches by Lal were extraordinary. The weather was chilly and if not for Father Sun, could have been down right miserable. The washing machines conditions unfriendly, with four foot seas out of different directions, colliding with each other, making any movement of the boat held to under 10 knots.

It was a downer day for sure and yes we do have bad days. We were on the trailer by 1:30 pm, having released fewer than 10 Bass, and a Sculpin.

Thanks Lal, better luck next time out. All that bait and fish must have future benefits ahead.

Hook up! Cory

tmines, DrBob89, colemans224 and 8 others like this.
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Guess you can't slam em everytime. Good effort though on winter conditiosn! Next time will be better!

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Thanks Cory. You found them, just didn't bite, Think I'll have one those cold beers when I get home.

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Is there any info on Lal's extraordinary Albacore Tuna salad sandwiches ?

Microbait and Tunaslam like this.
  5. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    He bought fresh Albacore Filets and the cooked leftovers were turned into Tuna Salad. I'll let Lal provide any details, although the usual pickles, celery, sweet onion and spices were present. Neither of us has enjoyed fresh Albacore for quite a long time and no way you can compare to canned!

Hardcor and Workplacesafety like this.
  6. Hungone

Hungone Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Hung One
    Boat:
    Hung One
    I was out there the day before and had the same exact results. It should be turning on in the next month hopefully

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Good effort! You've pounded 'em lately. Maybe they just know the sound of your engine now and felt they needed a day off!

Tunaslam and the SLIDER like this.
  8. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I was out last Sunday and it was similar: meter was amazing, fishing not so much. This is not surprising, though, because with this much bait in the water, the local fish are getting fat and lazy. They're not willing to chase a plastic or a dead squid, when there's tons and tons of live squid all around them. It makes sense. Probably better at night when they're more actively chasing squid but still I wouldn't expect it to be easy.

The squid boats will make a lot of money this season, the rest of us will have to wait until the water warms up and the squid aren't as common.

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    800px_COLOURBOX2072325.jpg
    Or they saw them coming . . .

10. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks Cory for the fishing report update. Seems like the bass, YT and WSB seem to prefer 60+ water temp before they get going. This winter weather and cold wind will keep water turned over and cold and in the 50's. Good news for Squid. Once the weather turns around and water warms up a little with warmer current I'll be ready to head out - preferably to Cat or SCI.

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Looking forward to it!

12. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    We all hope so! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

13. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
  14. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Fresh albacore wrapped in bacon, dusted with Lawrys lemon pepper , add onion , celery, sweet relish, and secret additive-CAPERS , juice of 2 lemons, and Mayo to hold together .!!! Tastes really good on multigrain bread or lettece wraps !!!

Hardcor, Tunaslam and Unassailable like this.
  15. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    Sorry you guys had a slow day, but it still beats my Wednesday!

I think the bass are jugged with squid. Last weekend, we had a few flurries of calicos on the shoe and every fish puked up squid or fish eggs. Nicholas asked to put one of the regurgitated squids on his megabait and it was inhaled by a 4lb calico on the way down!

Tunaslam and ssrmr2 like this.
  16. colemans224

colemans224 Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    seaswirl cc
    Thanks for another great report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    There is an incredible amount of bait around, should prove valuable for the coming months. Sure want the Tails to show up. Once temps get back to over 60, a prime possibility?

18. Flatinfifth

Flatinfifth Newbie

Name:
    Angel Sanchez-Figueras
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21
    Cory........nice report. Days like this make the other days stand out!!

Flat

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. PHT

PHT Member

Name:
    Tedd
    Boat:
    yours, I'll scrub and pay
    Beats working brother!

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Thank you for that Lal. Sounds delicious. Food is a big part of my adventures.

Tunaslam likes this.