Rpt-Wed-02-15-17 A short local Bass trip+a Las Salinas adventure.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Planning to go fishing in the winter is always a challenge, and when you cannot rely on a Marine Forecast, even more challenging? Later in this report I will Summarize my 2 day adventure in Las Salinas 02-08 and 02-09, south of the border past Rosarito Beach.

So I went fishing on Wednesday 02-15-17 on Lal’s 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. I met Lal at his house in Cerritos at 5:00 am in dense fog. Lal had advised me as I headed over to his house that we may not be able to get out due to the fog. I said I would gamble we could make it out.

We launched out of Davies in Los Alamitos at 5:45 am. The fog now present contained a ¼ mile of visibility and was doable. The temp in Lal’s truck read 52 degrees, a bit chilly, usably manageable, however, the wetness created by the fog was in fact down right freezing, while in route.

The forecast called for 5-6 knots of wind in the morning and only 6 to 8 knots of wind in the afternoon. As we exited the harbor, the seas were very flat and the wind was as calm as predicted. We slowly made our way out to Izor’s Reef, hoping for no events, given we had limited visibility and no radar.

We reached Izor’s Reef without incident, arriving shortly before 6:30 am. The fog remained dense and we were hoping that Father Sun would quickly provide a warming feeling that could offset the frigid air temps of early morning fog. It was not to be!

We began fishing on the Reef in 85 feet of water. The usual meter marks were exciting, with big stones, hard bottom and lots of hungry fish hopefully feeding on what we presented in enticements. Lal was bit almost instantly and brought up a 1+ pound Sand Bass. I got tapped several times and could not get a solid hookup. Lal told me to quit using rubber hooks? Okay!

Lal was quick to bring in a 1.5 pound Calico Bass. BTW all Bass were released to fight another day. I continued to get tapped and would set the hook and reel up half way to the surface and then unbutton the fish. Lal now caught a very nice Sculpin and I was feeling neglected. Finally I was bit on the fall on a 4” Calico Hunter plastic. It was a decent 2 pound Sandy. On my next cast I was again bit and reeled up a 1.5 pound Calico Bass. On my third cast I was bit again on the fall and was instantly rocked. Yikes my first of three Bitch slaps today.

We continued to move around the reef fishing different stones and hard bottom. Lal caught 3 bass to my one as I played the game of short bites! I also managed to hook and lose five Granite Groupers, donating my terminal tackle to the reef. Lal lost a few rigs but amazingly hooked numerous Granite Groupers and was mercilessly forgiven on most occasions.

Lal caught and released well over 20 mixed Bass, I could not get past nine, as I was teased time after time. The wind came up at 10 am, just as the fog was lifting and Father Sun was providing much appreciated relief from the cold, chilly conditions. Within minutes it went from 4 knots to 15+. The scope out on our 1oz and bigger plastics was ridiculous and we yelled uncle! Home James and on the Trailer at 11am, sad?

Here is a picture of Lal’s jackpot Bass, a little over 3.5 pounds:

[​IMG]

Thanks Lal, a day I wish not to remember, given I lost 8 lead heads and the same amount of Plastics with three Bitch Slaps, darn the big ones always seem to get away? Also Mother Nature was very unkind today!

Hook up! Cory

Las Salinas 2 day Adventure on Wednesday 02-08-17 and Thursday 02-09-17. I crossed the border Tuesday evening at 5pm with little traffic and stopped to pick up a Tourist Visa for fishing. I arrived around 6pm at Bill’s place south of Rosarito, overlooking the water on a seashore cliff. I can never appreciate enough of the beauty of where Bill overlooks the ocean from his Trailer House that he owns.

We enjoyed a few beers and exchanged stories of our latest fishing adventure. At 7:30 pm it was time to visit Charley’s for dinner. The restaurant is less than a mile away and has continued to expand in popularity and size.

I ordered their fabulous shrimp burrito and Bill was into an exotic Quesadilla with numerous ingredients. It was lights out at 9pm and up at 5:15 am.

We launched out of Las Salinas Marina at 6:30 am. At this time conditions were good. A few pictures of the harbor and morning sunrise:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped on a few areas that had previously held Yellowtail, and were usually loaded with Rockfish. There were no Tails and few Rockfish. We moved from high spot to other hard bottom areas for a few Rockfish, including a couple of 5 to 7 pound Lingcod, one Red, plenty of Johnny Bass, where most were released due to size, and the usual number of Boccaccio.

We scratched out a day of fishing until Mother Wind decided the party was over early at 9:30 am. We moved into the shallows to fish, yet the scope out from the wind made fishing difficult at best. We called it a day and docked at 11am.

For me spending the rest of the afternoon sucking up the sun and offshore tranquility from Bill’s Paradise Inn was exceptional. We exchanged the fish we kept for dinner at Charley’s. Once again they proved that good eating was their specialty.

We fished again on Thursday launching at 7am facing a dense fog and confused seas. There was no wind which would have allowed us to go where we would of preferred, however the confused seas with 4 foot swells didn’t provide such an opportunity. We were forced to stay locally near areas previously fished on Wednesday with similar results. We both caught decent Lingcod and a Red each. There were plenty of Boccaccio and Johnny Bass also caught, with most released. Conditions improved, yet the fishing did not follow. It was very slow and due to the tides we had to be in by 12:30 pm.

I am always thrilled to be invited by Bill to share his hospitality and fishing passion. It was not the best of fishing, yet the atmosphere is beyond comparison. I can’t wait to return. Thanks again Bill, it is always special to visit your Paradise Inn.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Always good Tunaslam.

When I first came to BD I though you guys didn't throw fish back. I figured you were supplying the local Widows food or something. Now I know different.

Enjoyed the post Sir.

Tunaslam and BornFisher like this.
  3. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    Another great write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Well you can't always get the 100 fish days, but at least you didn't get skunked.

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Funny how some days you can go through 10 rigs, and other days just one or two. I probably had a ten-rig day yesterday. Ouch! One thing that can be counted on, seemingly, is that the weatherman will get the wind forecast wrong.

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    You got that right on both counts Kurt, building up the rock piles is costly and frustrating. Getting clobbered by Mother Wind early when unexpected is worse! It went from 3 knots of wind to 15 in a matter of minutes at 10am? Marine forecast for the area called for 6-8 at most all day! I want their job!

6. Kman

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    I think one forecast they aren't getting wrong is the super soaking we're in for with this next storm starting Friday. Might be the most rain in 36 hours since 1995.

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Have always released Bass, and most of our by catch while fishing for Bass, such as Rockfish, Sculpin, Lingcod, etc. In fact Lal released several large Sculpin. We have been known for keeping a Halibut, White Sea Bass or Yellowtail by catch though!

the SLIDER likes this.
  8. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    How dangerous would you guys say going out in 4 to 5 feet swell in a 18 boat is? You guys seem to do a lot of fishing in the winter, so I'm curious.

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Bizzy

Bizzy Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    25 Parker
    The size of the swell doesn't mean much, the interval of the wave does. 4 to 5 feet in a 14 second interval is fine, at an 8 second interval it sucks!

Tunaslam and Azarkon like this.
  10. Kman

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Word

11. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Don't think we would go far in a 4 to 5 foot swell unless they were far apart? The Ducky is extremely sea worthy and we have survived in some very ugly sea conditions. 4 to 5 is not much compared to 8 to 10 or higher that we have faced in the past. We rely on the weatherman and stay home when the forecast is bad, yet they often fail to report the correct marine forecast, which is sad? I would love to force them to join us when they say 4 to 5 in the morning and 8 to 10 in the afternoon. when it becomes 12 to 15 in the morning and 18 to 25 in the afternoon! They deserve to be messed up in those conditions that we would of never gone out had we known that was how it would be on the water!

Azarkon likes this.
  12. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    The wind was at least 20 mph, not 15.It wasnt much fun when it was blown 20 from the S S/E on Tuesday.
    Wed it started about 10 and it was 20-24 mph

13. Nice report and good reads!

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I havent fished out of La Salina in years. I kept a boat down there when they were still dredging and building it. Had to run a generator for the house boat. It looks good!

Tunaslam likes this.