Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I went fishing Wed. 2-11-15, with Lal on Lal’s 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am, our beginning destination being Izor’s Reef. The harbor water looked like a mirror, just plain flat calm. The skies were clear and the morning Sunrise consisted of a light red hue.

We stopped at Izor’s for a quick Sand Bass frenzy, and then planned to move on to the Horseshoe to look for Yellowtail. When I fished on Sat. with John on his 25’ Parker “Horndog”, we listened to numerous reports of Yellowtail being caught at the Horseshoe and had wished we had given it a try?

The forecast called for little wind in the morning, with the majority of the day being in the 8 to 10 knot range. We ran out to the Reef at a good pace, with maybe 6 knots of wind and little swell.

We arrived in the beginning of grey light just after 6am. The seas carried a small wind ripple, and drift was rapid. The meter lit up with plenty of bait and fish, no matter where we went. Every Stone was loaded, and the bait on the meter was obviously red crabs, as every Sand Bass we caught puked up tons of them! With a fast drift we covered a good portion of the reef in no time ad had to reset several times.

In a about an hour we caught a dozen Sand Bass and three Calico Bass. It was quality over quantity, as most of the Sand Bass exceeded three pounds.

Lal had the big boys dialed in with some 3+, 4+ and 5 lb. brutes:

100_3729680x510_zps992f7c31.jpg

100_3728680x485_zpsc781db01.jpg

100_3735596x680_zps104e09b3.jpg

My first Sand Bass of the day, over 3 lbs.:

100_3730680x510_zps43bf1ac7.jpg

How about a 4 pounder:

100_3731680x510_zps47dc53f0.jpg

At 7:15 we headed over to the Shoe. There were very few boaters on the water. We spent about an hour looking around. The birds were out in force, I mean Thousands of birds, where do they all come from? Off in the distance we watched a Humpback Whale do several complete breaches! Not often you see them in our waters? We metered lots of bait, yet no predators that we could see? Yes we circled both the outer Green and Red Buoy’s. There was absolutely nothing to write home about. None of the birds were really working, lots of movement everywhere, and huge colonies of Cormorants sitting on the water with nothing under them?

Well maybe later in the day, so we moved on up to Palos Verde. The wind was picking up, and it was capping good. By the time we reached the Golf Course, it was blowing 20+ with gusts over 30? It was 9am and we stuck it out until 10 am when the wind backed off. We caught a few Calico Bass and a few Sand Bass on crazy fast drifts.

When the wind subsided, we managed a decent bite on the Bass on the bigger stones. We caught a mixed bag of Calico and Sand Bass from 1 to 2.5 pounds. As the conditions improved Lal headed back to the Shoe. We fished a number of stones in the area and picked away at the Bass. We continued to find birds everywhere and none working!

It was so nice out, Lal decided to head out to the 150 spot. Once again we metered a lot of bait and nothing else wanted to play, as our jigs were not hit. We even surrounded the Rigs and found nothing. So back to Izor’s we went on our way home.

The conditions remained fishable with a ripping current. The many stones at Izor’s remained loaded with what we believe were Red Crabs? The fishing was slow, but the quality was excellent!

My biggest Sand Bass of the day:

100_3740680x510_zps0035505a.jpg

Lal with a 5+ pound Sand Bass:

100_3737680x560_zpse37908c3.jpg

We had a number of doubles going and here are a couple of pic’s:

100_3732680x464_zps47d585ad.jpg

100_3733680x422_zps7caf6de7.jpg

As we took a picture of our latest double, Lal’s rod holder went off:

100_3734680x510_zps3317e66e.jpg

A few more Pic’s:

100_3738680x510_zps772d6305.jpg

100_3739680x510_zps771da85d.jpg

100_3736680x530_zps869b4f02.jpg

Water temps were between 60.4 to 62.5 degrees, still awesome for this time of year. We called it a day at 3pm, having released 30+ Sand Bass and 10+ Calico Bass. All fish caught on plastics.

Thanks Lal, we missed again on the local Yellowtail, yet caught some quality Sand Bass!

A fun day on the water.

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
Good job out there...we've all got a little spoiled with the the number of yellows still roaming around but bass are still a blast too!
Big Hammer baits I'm guessing?

Upvote 0

grader 2750

Aug 9, 2009
hesperia
Name
brian
Boat
searay
Great report Cory as always ,you guys know how to get it done in all conditions ,we're heading to dana point this weekend ,but still want to spend a day with you soon ,hope your feeling better and take care

Upvote 0

ctmfish

Almost A Member
Feb 2, 2010
Downey
Name
Cameron
Boat
Wellcraft V20
Great pics and a great day on the water. You guys know how to get it done. Them yellows are elusive, makes you appreciate when you do find them.

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
I'll take 40+ quality bass any day over a single yellow, that's epic February bass fishing right there. Reminds me of the good old July-August days of slamming turd rollers, you know, back when everyone and their Mom caught full limits of spawners day after day only to throw away badly freezer burned fish at the end of the year.

I'm personally digging the new regs on the bass and hope the fishery rebounds in the coming years. Great job and thanks for releasing all those breeders Cory!

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

There's a couple hog-sized sandies! That one is as long as Corey's arm. Nice report, Lal.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I'll take 40+ quality bass any day over a single yellow, that's epic February bass fishing right there. Reminds me of the good old July-August days of slamming turd rollers, you know, back when everyone and their Mom caught full limits of spawners day after day only to throw away badly freezer burned fish at the end of the year.

I'm personally digging the new regs on the bass and hope the fishery rebounds in the coming years. Great job and thanks for releasing all those breeders Cory!

We certainly agree with you Scott, a five Bass mixed limit works best for the the future preservation of both Calico and Sand Bass! The lack of a Sand Bass Spawn last year had to be an eye opener?
Cory

Reactions: steelhead88
Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Nice job Lal and Cory, sounds like a great day. Those yellows are sure frustrating this time of year. Biting one day, then off the bite the next.

But I guess at least we should be thankful that we have local yellows to even target this time of year.......how long has it been since we had that?

Reactions: 26grumpy
Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Nice job Lal and Cory, sounds like a great day. Those yellows are sure frustrating this time of year. Biting one day, then off the bite the next.

But I guess at least we should be thankful that we have local yellows to even target this time of year.......how long has it been since we had that?

Jonathan I can't ever remember Yellowtail in February or January out of Long Beach or Dana Point and I have been fishing for over 55 years! I do remember winter Tails at the Coronado s many years ago! We used to use 3 lb. Mackerel for bait on the big Home Guards off Pukey Point. We also caught White Seabass on the middle grounds if we could get Squid? I also remember a day on the Holiday when we made daytime squid, floating on the surface and whacked the White Seabass?

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Cory, I love reading your reports. Thanks for taking time and providing us all with stellar information we can always use.

Upvote 0