Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I went fishing Wednesday 02-04-15, with Bill Fisher, on his 18’ Trophy, “Toad Hall”. I have been drooling over all the Yellowtail being caught along the coast and Bill said I have a fix for you, as he had just caught 5 Yellowtail on Monday and we might find some willing biters if I came down.

The run to the fish was not too far, and they were holding in a depth of 160 to 200 feet. The water temp was 62.5, wow, is it really February?

All Bill’s fish caught Monday were on the iron, 10 to 20 cranks off the bottom. Bill was using a 6X Jr. Blue and White, while I just can’t get off my favorite lure, the CP105 Scrambled Egg. We metered tons of bait on the spot, most likely Red Crabs, they seem to be everywhere!

We cranked and cranked iron and only caught a few Rockfish, some of which the seals stole. They were on us thick, so we made a move about a mile away.

It was a little deeper here. Same deal, lots of marks and we guess, mostly bait of some kind. We again had a seal steal a Rockfish off the jig? Normally seals don’t like certain Rockfish, like Bocaccio, but not today, they were on their menu? After an hour of moving and cranking, we went back to our starting spot.

This time the marks looked like the right kind with little bait amongst them. Sure enough Bill got bit just off the bottom. I wasn’t bit and dropped my lure back down to the bottom. About 7 cranks up, game on, we have a double going. Bill gets his Yellowtail to the boat and gaff’s it. I had deep color, and he slid over to stick mine. We are both on the board, hoorah!

My first Yellowtail of 2015 was 16 to 17 lbs.

100_3721680x510_zps594ff286.jpg

100_3722680x510_zps529fb22f.jpg

Being that Bill is camera shy, I held up his too!

100_3723680x510_zps59d98f4a.jpg

We spent another couple of hours of looking for fish, marking some, with no luck until I finally got bit again. This fish was a bigger variety, and unfortunately while transferring my rod from my arm to my belly as the big Tail was trying to pull the rod out of my hand, something weird happened and somehow the line seemed to get stuck somewhere on the guides or reel or somewhere, and whack the 50 pound Spectra snapped right at the reel? Darn!

That was it for the day, as all the bait and most of the fish marks went south. I can tell you my arm will need some rest for a while with all the cranking causing cramps and aching! That two month lay off from fishing took its toll?

Bill, thanks a bunch, you can sure find the fish on the chew, fine job again! Can’t wait until our next adventure!

Hook up!

Cory

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
If there are fish to be caught you get them. Thanks for sharing another great report and pics.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Good day!

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Beautiful pics, love the deep blue sea in the background.

Upvote 0

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    Don't be fooled, Cory is a fishing machine and he'll be on the rail longer than the young gun fisherman fishing til he can't fish no more! True ol boy fisherman and I learn something new every time I read his post and just a great person to talk too. Really a good person and fantastic fisherman! Thanks for the report Cory!

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

I went fishing Wednesday 02-04-15, with Bill Fisher, on his 18’ Trophy, “Toad Hall”. I have been drooling over all the Yellowtail being caught along the coast and Bill said I have a fix for you, as he had just caught 5 Yellowtail on Monday and we might find some willing biters if I came down.

The run to the fish was not too far, and they were holding in a depth of 160 to 200 feet. The water temp was 62.5, wow, is it really February?

All Bill’s fish caught Monday were on the iron, 10 to 20 cranks off the bottom. Bill was using a 6X Jr. Blue and White, while I just can’t get off my favorite lure, the CP105 Scrambled Egg. We metered tons of bait on the spot, most likely Red Crabs, they seem to be everywhere!

We cranked and cranked iron and only caught a few Rockfish, some of which the seals stole. They were on us thick, so we made a move about a mile away.

It was a little deeper here. Same deal, lots of marks and we guess, mostly bait of some kind. We again had a seal steal a Rockfish off the jig? Normally seals don’t like certain Rockfish, like Bocaccio, but not today, they were on their menu? After an hour of moving and cranking, we went back to our starting spot.

This time the marks looked like the right kind with little bait amongst them. Sure enough Bill got bit just off the bottom. I wasn’t bit and dropped my lure back down to the bottom. About 7 cranks up, game on, we have a double going. Bill gets his Yellowtail to the boat and gaff’s it. I had deep color, and he slid over to stick mine. We are both on the board, hoorah!

My first Yellowtail of 2015 was 16 to 17 lbs.

100_3721680x510_zps594ff286.jpg

100_3722680x510_zps529fb22f.jpg

Being that Bill is camera shy, I held up his too!

100_3723680x510_zps59d98f4a.jpg

We spent another couple of hours of looking for fish, marking some, with no luck until I finally got bit again. This fish was a bigger variety, and unfortunately while transferring my rod from my arm to my belly as the big Tail was trying to pull the rod out of my hand, something weird happened and somehow the line seemed to get stuck somewhere on the guides or reel or somewhere, and whack the 50 pound Spectra snapped right at the reel? Darn!

That was it for the day, as all the bait and most of the fish marks went south. I can tell you my arm will need some rest for a while with all the cranking causing cramps and aching! That two month lay off from fishing took its toll?

Bill, thanks a bunch, you can sure find the fish on the chew, fine job again! Can’t wait until our next adventure!

Hook up!

Cory
    Congrats on popping the 2015 cherry, Corey!!! I'm next!

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Don't be fooled, Cory is a fishing machine and he'll be on the rail longer than the young gun fisherman fishing til he can't fish no more! True ol boy fisherman and I learn something new every time I read his post and just a great person to talk too. Really a good person and fantastic fisherman! Thanks for the report Cory!

Wow Shon, I appreciate the feedback, thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    too bad it was so cold wind and choppy out there....is it really feb?

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    the signs are there for sure!!

Upvote 0

queenfish

Nov 21, 2003
    OB
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
    On Saturday we were rockfishing in 300' and a f ing seal stole half of our baits and 10 nice rokfish off our lines at the bottom. Hadn't seen that before

Upvote 0