Rpt.-Two Day Blue Horizon ending 06-19-18 SCI & Cat.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I got a last minute invite to fish on the Blue Horizon for a 2 day trip leaving Sunday 06-17-18 at 9pm. Got the green light from the wife and the Boss, as short notice for work is not advised, however the slate was clear of any must do agenda.

Departure Sunday 06-17-18.

I arrived at Pierpoint Landing at 8:15 and loaded my gear on the boat. Was greeted by Charter Master Earle the Pearl, and we have both fished together numerous times over many years! There is not a nicer guy on this planet! And he can fish incredibly well too.

Our departure time was scheduled for 9pm and we left the dock at 10:00 pm. Parking was raised to $6 per night, bummer.

We stopped for bait, but I was down for the count. We had live Sardines and live squid (decent size) too!

This was a great group of fishermen, lots of talent, and with only 11 total for this trip. Bunks were a little tight, otherwise this a quite a nice fishing platform, my first time on the boat.

Crew was Captain Dan Connelly, second ticket? I’m not sure, I think Dave? Deck crew was Adam and Christian. Cook was Mellissa. Food was plentiful and excellent the whole trip. The ride over to the island was very smooth, once we cleared the harbor and out four miles.

Day 1 Monday-06-18-18.

The forecast called for morning winds under 10 knots and I never believe the afternoon forecast, as it is almost always wrong? The engines shutdown in the grey, and I was up at 5:05 am, and poured myself some fresh brewed coffee which was awesome! The Captain looked around in Pyramid Cove at San Clemente Island. He claimed water temps were near 70 degrees, however, water clarity was an off green color.

So far the weather was incredible; and soon the anchor went down. We picked away at Calico Bass and Blue Perch, with an occasional White Fish, Rockfish or Sheephead coming aboard. Both baits were working. Earle got the first Yellowtail hookup on a sardine. I grabbed my 30 pound fly line outfit and tossed out a lively sardine and was picked up almost instantly and it was game on.

For a little guy the ten pound Tail put up quite a fight, maybe I was rusty, as this was only my second Tail of the year? Nevertheless, when I checked the drag, it was set properly and this was just a tough fighter. Although it took only about three or four minutes to land after several short runs, it was just stubborn up and down and then from side to side, causing Christian to swing and miss a few times with the gaff, while Captain Dan came to the rescue and nailed it on the first swing.

Blue Hor-06-19-18 2008-01-21 003 (1024x458).jpg

Captain Dan with kudos:

Blue Hor-06-19-18 2008-01-25 002 (1024x789).jpg

We hooked several more Tails and landed them, while Ted in the bow had hooked a monster Tail on his surface iron. He had the right gear with a Tranx 500 loaded with 50 pound Spectra and 50 mono pound leader. Unfortunately after about a 150 yard run, it was hopelessly hung in the kelp. He fought it or more clearly hung on for dear life for about a half hour, before the bite had died and Captain Dan pulled anchor and attempted to save the fish by running up on top of it. No luck as the Tail was down too deep and finally broke off.

I ordered a Breakfast Burrito and it was absolutely delicious, Chorizo, Bacon, Cheese, Egg and potatoes.

We looked around inside the cove for no more positive signs of fish and worked our way down the backside. So far there were no other boats in the area, later we saw the Thunderbird. They had a tough day. The wind came up at 10 am and spoiled everything, as even under anchor we slid back and forth with current going every which way and often pushing our bait up to the bow, conditions sucked!

We caught and released many Barracuda, some legal and many just under. Calico Bass fishing was also constant, however, only an occasional 14 incher was landed and several up to maybe five pounds. I know I released 20+ Calico Bass to maybe 3.5 pounds and at least ten Barracuda.

Lunch was a choice of BLT, Chicken sandwich or casadia, and of course cheese burgers.

We bailed the island at 4pm in miserable slop. A rough ride to Catalina, but a chance for a well-deserved nap, but not before Melissa served up some yummy Spicy Buffalo Chicken wings with ranch dressing. Also there was honeydew melons and watermelons for refreshment.

We arrived at Catalina around 7pm and Earle hooked the first Yellowtail at this island, only to have it stolen by bowser, a huge knot head. I hooked three mud marlins in a row (Bat Rays) and they definitely worked me over.

I enjoyed a glass of Merlot and read a little of my book while sniffing the wonderful aromas coming from the kitchen.

Dinner was served at a little after 8:30 pm, and included a salad, enormous baked potato, and a huge Rib Eye steak, yum yum! Dessert consisted of cherry cheese cake over, and I passed, too much food for me and didn’t even eat the potato. But not a speck of steak was left on the plate. Simply delicious.

With the afternoon nap, It was after 10:45 pm when I crashed hard.

Day 2 Tuesday-06-19-18

I got up in the grey, about 4:55 am. Set up a dropper loop with 8 oz. sinker and pinned on a couple of live squid hoping for a Ghost. Sipped on hot coffee and waited. Then I got hammered and set the hook with a major bend in the rod and as the big fish began to take off it unbuttoned, darn! We baited and got bit again, same deal, set the hook it began to run and immediately unbuttoned. I was using an 8/0 Aki Twist Hook, that should not of happened?

Most other anglers were fishing sliding sinkers. At about 7am the first Yellowtail was hooked and it was a big one. Steve got pulled around the boat a couple of times and was fortunately using 40 pound line, because that Tail worked him good.

Blue Hor-06-19-18 2008-01-26 001 (1024x741).jpg Blue Hor-06-19-18 2008-01-26 002 (718x1024).jpg Blue Hor-06-19-18 2008-01-26 003 (602x1024).jpg

A little later Bruce caught one a little smaller, yet both were 25+. One more Tail was landed a few lost and that was it on Yellowtail. We checked out Farns Worth Bank, but no signs of Yellowtail after several hours. The wind was holding at under ten and only exceeded that in later afternoon, but did not reach anywhere near Monday’s levels.

Captain Dan decided to investigate a few shallow water WSB spots. We caught one short WSB and one short Halibut. Lots of bass and a few more Barracuda. He worked the boat to the west end, and fished west cove and Johnson’s Rock on the front, looked at Starlight for nada and ended up at the Isthmus. Caught a few more Bass and Cuda and bailed at 3:45pm. ETA for home was 6:30 and we arrived at 6:45.

Breakfast and lunch were similar to Monday and for late afternoon snacks pulled pork sandwiches. Oh yeah and Bluefin Tuna sashimi complements of one of the passengers.

It was an awesome group of anglers, and so much fishing space with a light load.

Good job crew and Captain, you worked hard to get us the fish we did, in very difficult conditions at times. Melissa you were spectacular.

Hook up! Cory

2. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Awesome report, thanks a lot!

Tunaslam and HighWildFree like this.
  3. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    2 days at both islands, bueno--too bad the conditions werent better!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. veearesix

veearesix Newbie

Name:
    Will Shaw
    Boat:
    1972 Safari 28
    Great report! Where were you picking up the yellows at Cat at 7 am? Backside west end?

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Killer report. Good to see the home guards are still willing to play!

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report Cory. Been waiting for the wind and seas to calm down all Spring. Now it's Summer. Looking forward to no wind, smooth seas and great fishing this Summer and Fall. It's been a weird season so far at SCI and Cat. Hoping to do well this weekend - most likely at one of the Islands - looking forward to fishing with you again.

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. bassmeister

bassmeister Member

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    17ft astro
    Awesome report TS! Hopefully we can find that grade this weekend.

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    That grade is definitely there, Cory. We had some mid 30 fish a couple weeks ago.

Need to get back out there soon as I was playing the role of Farmer Steve.

Skol!

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Exceptional report, I was looking at that trip, but couldn't skip work. Those 976 trips are also fun with the Pearl

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Backside between Ben Weston and China.

11. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Likewise!

12. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Very nice ,quality report and grade of yellows,thanks!

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Awesome trip!

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Sciaenops

Sciaenops Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    great report and good info on the boat, Cory.

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Brent Lee

Brent Lee Newbie

Name:
    Divebug
    Boat:
    Island Tak
    I've always had great trips on the 976 trips with Earle. He knows how to fish and share great stories. He has a knack for getting excellent photos. Great report Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.