Offshore Rpt.-Tuesday 11-19-19 O-95 1.5 day tuna limits!

PENN

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I made a last minute decision to fish a 1.5 day trip on the Oceanside 95, leaving Monday night, 11-19-19 at 8pm. I figured this could be the last hurrah for Yellowfin Tuna, given storm threats this week and next. Why they are hanging around in 65 degree water is a mystery to me? They are generally long gone after the water temps drop below 68.

Leaving my home in Diamond Bar at 7:00 pm, going 71 miles to Oceanside harbor and with little traffic, I arrived in 55 minutes, five minutes before scheduled departure. We left the dock with 24 anxious anglers at 8:25 pm, which had given me a little bit of time to load my gear, pick a bunk and sign in.

Captain Rick had everyone in the galley to discuss the game plan. We were running to an area just across the border at about 45 miles and expected to shut down in the dark at about 4:30 am. The boat slowed down between 4:30 and 5am while searching for good meter marks. I got up a little before 5 and ordered a bottle of water, I love coffee, but my Doctor said cut that out.

At grey light we began trolling. A short while later we stopped on a small Kelp Paddy with deep meter marks. This turned into a plunker bite, where over the next two hours we scratched out about 15 Yellowfin Tuna. I picked off one about 20 pounds.

Captain Rick stated that a boat about 3 miles away in US waters was hammering them, so we began trolling there. We moved up on a bunch of boats, several Sporties, and 5 to 8 private boaters.

We brailed bait and only got one or two boils. We drifted for about 45 minutes, picking a fish here and there. It was time to find our own school of Tuna. So in 30 minutes later Captain Rick hollered that this was a big school and to throw some heavy chum. In seconds it was game on. I was bit almost instantly and put on a nice 25 pound YFT. I caught six in a row, before taking a break.

I want to shout out to the three idiots on a small Trophy that ran right by our chum line and settled in only 75 or a 100 “feet” off our stern, dumb as a patch of mud. Later three on a Parker did the same thing. You classless and selfish A-holes need to learn fishing Etiquette. Never fish in a Sport Boat’s stern closer than 150 yards, better yet fish off the bow, works better!

I caught my first 7 Yellowfin on 25 pound line with a Flouro leader. I had tried 20 pound earlier with no success on the plunker bite. I now threw 30 pound and caught 3 more Yellowfin and 7 Skipjack. I was done!

Around 3 pm the rain came up and I got soaked while fighting a Skippy. I changed cloths and got caught in the rain a second time. Good thing I brought a third change of clothes.

We fished until dark, with fish biting the whole time, not sure of the final count, but somewhere near 170+ Yellowfin Tuna for 24. Counts not posted yet. Food and crew were great, I will be back.

Sorry I didn’t take any pictures, jackpot was only around 30 pounds, my biggest 25+.

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
I love idiot pics.

Great report, Cory.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Sounds like you made a good call, Mr Visser! I never made it out of my office. :mad:

Haven't seen a little fire out of you in a while. That ticker must me working just fine! :beerbang:

Working on it, for sure the ole gray mare just ain't what she used to be!

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Someone from up above really wanted you to make that trip and catch your limit. Leaving at 700pm during rush hour and going 71 miles and you made it 5 minutes before the scheduled departure. On any other day (during the week) That is 1 1/2 hours on a good day!!! Glad you had a good safe trip. :cheers:

Upvote 0

HBtunatime

Popper Man
    May 31, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Collin
    Boat
    12' Cobra Navigator XF; whatever else floats
    Very nice trip! Sorry to hear about the googans crashing the party. We were fortunate to be fishing alone or drifting with only the New Lo An with us on our trip. Good work slaying the yellowfin!

Reactions: Tunaslam
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Someone from up above really wanted you to make that trip and catch your limit. Leaving at 700pm during rush hour and going 71 miles and you made it 5 minutes before the scheduled departure. On any other day (during the week) That is 1 1/2 hours on a good day!!! Glad you had a good safe trip. :cheers:

Agree, was amazed how light the traffic was. Going 75 most of the way I was still passed at times like I was going 55!

Reactions: Workplacesafety
    Upvote 0