Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Fished today with crew Gabe and Captain Lal, bundled up with heavy winter clothing, before launching the Rubber Ducky, Tuesday 01-12-21 out of Davies in Long Beach at 6:15 am. The skies were truly clear, with just enough clouds to generate a few red skies! A perfect start to the day.

The water temps were 56.5 degrees, and the seas were flat calm. Our first target being Izor’s Reef. Our intention was to stay closer to shore until we were comfortable with the Ducky performing properly. On our last trip to Rocky Point in late December, for some unknown reason, after reaching Rocky Point, the engine would not run. It would fire up and die, indicating some form of fuel problem.

Unfortunately, on that trip we needed a tow back from Vessel Assist (Tow US). The mechanic spent a full day of running diagnostics to determine nothing was wrong. The theory being a simple air lock bubble in the fuel line? We may never know. In any case the engine behaved itself all day long.

Fishing at Izor’s was beyond slow, after our first drift produced two Sand Bass and a Calico Bass, it was scratch fishing for the next several hours, as we covered nearly the entire reef. A call from Richie on Tax Free indicated they were in a decent bite a few miles off the LA light, so we headed that direction. We perhaps had ten mixed Bass between the three of us. Richie stated they had caught over 25 mixed Bass so far.

We arrived in the area some 30 minutes later, however, the bite had died. We moved from spot-to-spot metering plenty of fish and bait, but few were hungry. Water temps were up 57.3 degrees, and a bit clearer than Izor’s.

Disappointed in the results Lal moved us up to PV to try our luck. A two fish flurry here and there, with one triple and we managed to salvage the day, with releasing some 35 mixed Bass, none over two pounds. Gabe kept two legal ones for dinner. I also caught three decent sized White Fish, which pained me to release.

We headed home stopping back on some other spots on the Shoe not tried earlier and scratched out a couple more mixed Bass. Both the quantity and quality was off today. There were absolutely no qualifying picture fish.

We called it at a little after 2pm. Never saw a white cap today, certainly a beautiful weather day. After a sunny morning, the high clouds moved in and the jackets went back on.

Thanks Lal, we gave it a solid try and made it a day. I can’t wait until our next adventure.

Happy New Year everyone!

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Thanks for report guys,sounds like great weather conditions,nice day to be on the water,on those days I just enjoy being out there and consider the fish a bonus!

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC
As always, thanks for the report. Did you happen to notice if Nacho has squid? Going to give it a shot tomorrow. If Nacho has decent bait might even try for some halibut. Good time to restock the freezer with some popsicles if he has some.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Thanks for the report! Doing repairs on my skiff this weekend and will hopefully be out there next week.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
As always, thanks for the report. Did you happen to notice if Nacho has squid? Going to give it a shot tomorrow. If Nacho has decent bait might even try for some halibut. Good time to restock the freezer with some popsicles if he has some.

This time of year we never fish bait, so didn't pass by Nachos.

Upvote 0

TAXFREE

Mar 14, 2003
Downey, CA
Visit site
Name
Richard Gleason
Boat
1998 Parker 21 SE CC
TAXFREE had an 80 plus bass catching kind of day for 2 of us on Tuesday at the Shoe.
The bite really kicked in after 2pm. more than 30 bass, mostly 3lb calicos on the Kman Specials and the JP jig. Lots of bass were barfing up whole squid. We headed in at 430pm.
It was nice to see Gabe again, and glad you guys didn't breakdown again,
Our big bass was a 5lb Calico. A great flat ocean and little wind to push us along while drifting.

See Ya.....Rich on TAXFREE

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
TAXFREE had an 80 plus bass catching kind of day for 2 of us on Tuesday at the Shoe.
The bite really kicked in after 2pm. more than 30 bass, mostly 3lb calicos on the Kman Specials and the JP jig. Lots of bass were barfing up whole squid. We headed in at 430pm.
It was nice to see Gabe again, and glad you guys didn't breakdown again,
Our big bass was a 5lb Calico. A great flat ocean and little wind to push us along while drifting.

See Ya.....Rich on TAXFREE

Right on Richie, that's a grand day of Bass'n! Right place, right time and sticking to it until they go off. The fish were there, they just had lockjaw most of the time we were fishing. Weather was indeed special!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Even slow days, your still fishing!
    -- Captain Obvious

Nice report guys!