Rpt.-Thur.-06-14-17 The 302,226 and 371.

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tunaslam, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    First time fishing Thursday 6-14-17, with Robert on his dynamite well rigged 26’ Blackman “Strictly Business” with friend Lowell. I left my home in Diamond Bar at 3am. We launched out of Shelter Island in Point Loma at 5:00 am, our beginning destination being the 302. Only one other boat was ahead of us and no problem when we returned at 6pm.

There was little wind, however, a serious lump and a heading of 212 degrees forced reduced speeds to our targeted position. The weather was extraordinary all day with perhaps 8 to 10 knots, at max, reached early afternoon and later backed off. We picked up 2 scoops of very nice Sardines and some mixed Anchovies. It was a great mix of chum.

Reaching a distance of some 23 miles from the point Robert spotted some bird activity and a few splashes. We continuously ran over incredible marks, yet most were 150 or deeper. We did drop Flat Falls on several for nothing.

At around 7am Robert put out the kite, it is tricky to setup and get settled down, however; Robert worked with a precision of obvious knowledge on how to do it! We watched and watched as the Yummy skipped the surface and stirred up the water looking so enticing to a probable Tuna. It took constant fine tuning, as the direction of the boat and wind was ever changing, as we chased down bird schools.

At about 9am Robert saw a huge boil behind the Yummy, darn he missed! Up until late afternoon we never saw a school of Bluefin on the surface, lots of bird activity and only a few splashes. Porpoise were everywhere, of course when you don’t need them. They provided constant excitement as we spotted birds and breaking fish in the distance only to find they were porpoise. There were many other private boats flying kites out there, as well as the New Lo Ann and Liberty.

We worked from the 302 to the 226 to the 371 and back to the 302. At around 3pm some 6 to 7 miles from the 371 on the way to the 302 we found the right kind up and working. As we approached they sunk out. We all threw poppers and at this time we had put away the kite after over four hours of usage. Occasionally they would pop up within range of our poppers, however were on a mission and moved on without any takers.

After more than half an hour of chasing these quick moving schools we moved on, hoping to find a school with some biting fish. It was not to be and we docked at 6pm in still beautiful weather. Second thoughts about leaving fish to find fish so late in the day and not using the kite again when finding some active schools sort of haunted us on what could have been? Certainly results were not for lack of effort as we covered an enormous amount of area and tried numerous methods of attempting to prompt a bite, including trolling Rapalas.

It was an obvious down day for the Bluefin as the whole fleet caught only 2 Bluefin and 3 Yellowfin Tuna. The New Lo Ann caught one and the Liberty struck out with us. A whole lot of private boaters were also crying the blues with a number of call outs of “has anyone caught a tuna today?” with no response! Unfortunately we wasted some fantastic bait, oh well the seagulls and pelicans were happy in the harbor as they were released?

The 26’ Blackman is well equipped with a large screen Raymarine Radar and a large Garmin GPS/Fish Finder Combo. Robert has added an app to his phone and IPad to allow duplication of the fish finder to use when up on his dual control fish tower. It is a sweet setup being able to drive the boat from the cabin and the tower. I love all the rod racks as well. A Volvo Diesel allows for long range and efficient fuel consumption. What a well-designed and equipped boat for killing fish!

Thanks so much for the invite Robert, and great fishing with you again Lowell. We can’t win them all and I surely hope for another opportunity to put blood on the deck!

Hook up! Cory

2. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Bummer you struck out, but nice report and sounds like a nice day

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    I don't know how you do it Cory! Fishing is a lot harder than working, and you're out there way more often than I'm at work! Amazing stamina for an... ah, em... very wise gentleman. Getting a new hip for Christmas this year, then I might be able to keep up!

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hope all goes well!

5. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Great try and thanks for the report.

From my experience with the kite…. you just have to be dedicated to it. Kite all day and nothing at all. Too time consuming to pull kite down and put it up. On both my kite trips this year..the minute we put up the kite, we saw jumpers and foamers and just simply passed it all up in hopes of getting a kite fish .

You'll get yours soon! Just gotta keep going….

6. Bradyxxx

Bradyxxx Member

Name:
    Braden
    Boat:
    Catchalot
    Great Detailed report Cory!
    Thanks for the info!

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Way to give it a go Cory...sounds like more of the same today out there.
    On the IV now, hope to be out in July hopefully, see you soon! LOL

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. MikesOcean

MikesOcean Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Therapist
    Great step by step report Cory. I know it is frustrating being out there seeing the fish and not catching them.

But it is a lot more frustrating hearing about the fish and not going out looking for them.

Kudos to you for your consistency going out and reporting all your trips good or a bad.

I'm sure your time is coming soon.

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for your report. If you don't catch fish and simply outfish everybody, nobody can. A down day at islands and inshore too. You are my fish barometer and guru too.

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. surfkast

surfkast Member

Name:
    Miles
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club, Boston Whaler 170 sold
    I was out that day. It was brutally slow. No yt on paddies and barely saw any breezers. Just putting hours into the kite. Some day.

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Nice well written report. Thanks!

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Hey Bro!! If you are not on them, what chance do us slobs have???

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. kirkmd202

kirkmd202 Newbie

Name:
    kirk
    Boat:
    Naked Striper
    Thanks for the detailed report. We have to go as one day it will go wide open.

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Some days rhe fish win. This was that day

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Get well soon, so we can catch some together Ron!

Tunahead likes this.
  16. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well we all know you can't catch them from the dock?

17. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Thanks Cory, healing nicely, staples out next week and off the home IV
    July 2nd. This does NOT mean I'll go to San Diego combat fishing the
    July 4th weekend for openers...LOL LOL Hope to see you at the rail soon! TC