Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
So we launched the Rubber Ducky, Thur. 04-30-20 out of Davies in Long Beach at 4:55 am. This is a quick FYI report for Catalina.

We picked up an excellent scoop of Sardines from Nachos, good to see him out there.

The ocean was very lumpy going towards the west end of Catalina; we were able to make only 16-17 knots, occasionally moving up to 19-20. We arrived at the west end at 7:05 am. Water temps were only 61.3 degrees, however the area looked fishy. We began slow trolling sardines past eagle rock into west cove. Several other private boats joined us in the area.

We caught numerous Barracuda and Calico Bass over three hours. No sign of Yellowtail. We decided to move up the back side past Iron bound cove over to Whale Rock. There were five private boaters fishing the area. In the 45 minutes we were there we saw one hookup, which was lost. The meter showed virtually nothing on the screen, no wonder nothing was being caught.

We headed back to the west cove, caught a bunch more Calico Bass and more Barracuda. Almost none were legal. Not one sign of a Yellowtail, no birds working, no boils, no meter marks. At 11:15 we moved over to the Isthmus and caught more Calico Bass and Barracuda, no sign of Tails. Called it a day at 12:30, very disappointed having known good Yellowtail fishing occurred yesterday.

What happened, we tried. The seas going home were as flat and calm as they can be, that was special! We were on the trailer at 2pm, averaging 27-28 knots all the way home. No pictures again, nothing worthy. All fish were released, except I kept two Sheepshead and one decent sized Whitefish for fish tacos. We probably caught 50 Calico Bass and more than 20 Barracuda. I did release a short WSB, only 26 inches, darn!

Hook up! Cory

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
nice work and thanks for the report.
backside today was a little sloppy. but the weather was still great.
you can’t “slam” them every time cory.
i wish i had just 10% of the catch days you have reported to us through the years!

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

Groper

I'm not that guy.
Jun 9, 2018
Name
Bill
Boat
2550 May-Craft PH
Daauuummm 27-28 knots on your return, you could have skied home with that sweet smooth water :beerbang:

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Tanker seabass came out of there a couple days back too cory,Day late and a dollar short i guess,

Upvote 0