Rpt.-Thur.- 04-23-75 Catalina Tails on the Ducky!

PENN

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I went fishing Thursday 04-23-15, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Los Alamitos at 5:00 am, our beginning destination being the West End of Catalina, targeting Yellowtail.

We stopped at Nachos for a good mix of Mackerel and Sardines. We were able to average 20 knots across the channel. The forecast called for 4 to 6 knots of wind in the morning and 9 to 12 knots in the afternoon. A 3 foot swell was right on. As we reached the Isthmus at Catalina, the seas were grease calm. We found lots of bait and some great meter marks, yet nothing wanted to bite?

We headed up towards Johnson Rock passing Starlight and Black Rock when the seas turned Gnarly. Where did this come from? We had planned to slow troll Sardines up the line, yet the conditions forced us to reduce speeds anyhow to six knots. The five to six foot swells and washing machine conditions did not allow us an opportunity to troll bait. Then it started to rain to make matters worse.

We rounded the west end and passed Eagle Rock, then took a look at West Cove in about 95 feet of water. The conditions were slightly better than on the front side. We slow trolled Sardines and Mac’s. We ran over some great marks and I got bit. So did Lal, but his did not stick. I reeled in a four pound Yellowtail. Not much, yet the skunk was off and we had some sweet Sashimi. Had this been our last Yellowtail, we would have released it!

We continued our quest to catch Tails on the slow troll in this area for about 20 more minutes before deciding to head over to the Farnsworth Bank. We never encountered anymore good marks in the area.

The ride out to the Bank was onerous, with big swells and 15 knots of wind; fortunately we were headed down hill! We arrived at Farnsworth Bank at 9:15 am with one other private boater on the bank. We set up a drift at the beginning of the bank, and drifted down hill towards the east end. The amount of bait on the reef is extraordinary. The fish marks beyond explanation.

We were shortly joined by the Pursuit and the six pack boat Options. This suggested we were in the right place, as both of these boats had caught lots of Yellowtail recently. The Pursuit experienced difficulty in anchoring, as we saw them change positions several times. Off in the distance the DFG boat was spotted. They boarded the Pursuit and then headed over to the Options and then us.

We are always happy to see them, as we know they are doing their job and we have all our paper work together. We were surprised to see both the Options and Pursuit to leave the area in such a short time. I guess they did not like the conditions? It was lumpy out here.

Just then Lal gets bit on his Sardine, and the Yellowtail puts up a great fight on his 25 pound line. The nice sized Yellowtail does not want to give up when brought to color, and takes one last dive. Lal works it back to the surface and I stick him. Nice fish, at 18 pounds.

100_3872%201024x768_zpsmuy0zdbi.jpg

We got mobbed by seals. Every bait thrown was eaten by the seals, even the belly hooked baits. So I elected to fish the Yo Yo Iron. About 20 casts later, I get bit on the iron. The fish did not put up a great fight, but was obviously a Yellowtail. Of course I was using 50 pound test line and it was not going win the battle. It barely took some line, and then did the short dogging routine before Lal stuck him. It was a decent Tail at 11 pounds.

100_3874%201024x768_zps0lywn3vd.jpg

100_3875%201024x768_zpsoq2z2xer.jpg

We both got bit later by Calico Bass, increasing our adrenalin rush?

100_3873%201024x522_zpsjppjgqff.jpg

100_3877%201024x767_zpsixygbcgh.jpg

An hour and a half later with no further bites we elected to call it a day at 12:30 pm. It was a no fun ride to the east end. We left the Island at 1:20 pm and were pleasantly surprised by flat seas. For the first 12 miles we made 25 knots and as the winds increased we reduced speed to 20, then 18, then 16 knots. As we continued our drive home, the wind easily reached 15 to 20 knots, with a forecast of 9 to 12? So often they get it wrong.

We docked and were on the trailer 3pm. Here is a picture at Lal’s place.

Baby, Big Brother and Mama:

100_3878%201024x671_zpsujcee3ra.jpg

Thanks Lal, we found and caught the targeted species, although not in size and quantity we had hoped? It was still a fun day on the big pond!

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
You set the bar with reports cory! Another awesome trip for you guys!

Upvote 0

Tailman

Sep 15, 2003
Cerritos
Visit site
Name
Lal Parsonge
Boat
18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
I went fishing Thursday 04-23-15, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Los Alamitos at 5:00 am, our beginning destination being the West End of Catalina, targeting Yellowtail.

We stopped at Nachos for a good mix of Mackerel and Sardines. We were able to average 20 knots across the channel. The forecast called for 4 to 6 knots of wind in the morning and 9 to 12 knots in the afternoon. A 3 foot swell was right on. As we reached the Isthmus at Catalina, the seas were grease calm. We found lots of bait and some great meter marks, yet nothing wanted to bite?

We headed up towards Johnson Rock passing Starlight and Black Rock when the seas turned Gnarly. Where did this come from? We had planned to slow troll Sardines up the line, yet the conditions forced us to reduce speeds anyhow to six knots. The five to six foot swells and washing machine conditions did not allow us an opportunity to troll bait. Then it started to rain to make matters worse.

We rounded the west end and passed Eagle Rock, then took a look at West Cove in about 95 feet of water. The conditions were slightly better than on the front side. We slow trolled Sardines and Mac’s. We ran over some great marks and I got bit. So did Lal, but his did not stick. I reeled in a four pound Yellowtail. Not much, yet the skunk was off and we had some sweet Sashimi. Had this been our last Yellowtail, we would have released it!

We continued our quest to catch Tails on the slow troll in this area for about 20 more minutes before deciding to head over to the Farnsworth Bank. We never encountered anymore good marks in the area.

The ride out to the Bank was onerous, with big swells and 15 knots of wind; fortunately we were headed down hill! We arrived at Farnsworth Bank at 9:15 am with one other private boater on the bank. We set up a drift at the beginning of the bank, and drifted down hill towards the east end. The amount of bait on the reef is extraordinary. The fish marks beyond explanation.

We were shortly joined by the Pursuit and the six pack boat Options. This suggested we were in the right place, as both of these boats had caught lots of Yellowtail recently. The Pursuit experienced difficulty in anchoring, as we saw them change positions several times. Off in the distance the DFG boat was spotted. They boarded the Pursuit and then headed over to the Options and then us.

We are always happy to see them, as we know they are doing their job and we have all our paper work together. We were surprised to see both the Options and Pursuit to leave the area in such a short time. I guess they did not like the conditions? It was lumpy out here.

Just then Lal gets bit on his Sardine, and the Yellowtail puts up a great fight on his 25 pound line. The nice sized Yellowtail does not want to give up when brought to color, and takes one last dive. Lal works it back to the surface and I stick him. Nice fish, at 18 pounds.

We got mobbed by seals. Every bait thrown was eaten by the seals, even the belly hooked baits. So I elected to fish the Yo Yo Iron. About 20 casts later, I get bit on the iron. The fish did not put up a great fight, but was obviously a Yellowtail. Of course I was using 50 pound test line and it was not going win the battle. It barely took some line, and then did the short dogging routine before Lal stuck him. It was a decent Tail at 11 pounds.

An hour and a half later with no further bites we elected to call it a day at 12:30 pm. It was a no fun ride to the east end. We left the Island at 1:20 pm and were pleasantly surprised by flat seas. For the first 12 miles we made 25 knots and as the winds increased we reduced speed to 20, then 18, then 16 knots. As we continued our drive home, the wind easily reached 15 to 20 knots, with a forecast of 9 to 12? So often they get it wrong.

Thanks Lal, we found and caught the targeted species, although not in size and quantity we had hoped? It was still a fun day on the big pond!

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

AhSpray

Assistant Gaffer
Apr 25, 2003
Escondido
Name
Rob
Boat
AAA+++ Ho
Fantastic report from one of BD's best contributors. You guys sure put that cozy boat through its paces today!
Congratulations on a safe, productive day on the water.
And thanks for another great report - they always are!
Tight lines Cory!

Upvote 0

HUSKEY BAY

Almost A Member
Mar 6, 2015
Dana Point
Name
ken
Boat
HUSKEY BAY

Hook up! Cory
Very helpful report. nasty weather! What did DFG want....just checking for fishing license??

Upvote 0

Foss

Senior Fossil
Dec 16, 2003
Bay Park
www.jackinnis.com
Name
Jack
Boat
Not My Ride
Yawn. Just another among a string of epic reports by BD's intrepid angler, photographer, and writer, Cory. :cheers:
WTG Cory!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
WOW nice load of fish Cory and Lal, glad you scored bigtime.

I'm in the PT sling recovering from Total Shoulder Replacement surgery a week ago.
Keep those fish reports coming...gonna be a few months til I can fish! LOL

Upvote 0

Tailman

Sep 15, 2003
Cerritos
Visit site
Name
Lal Parsonge
Boat
18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
Very helpful report. nasty weather! What did DFG want....just checking for fishing license??
They checked our license and catch. I asked them if they were goin to site the pursuit for being on anchor--they said no problem anchoring there but no rockfish !! The boat was out of Ventura and very polite !!

Reactions: bigstrapper
Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
WOW nice load of fish Cory and Lal, glad you scored bigtime.

I'm in the PT sling recovering from Total Shoulder Replacement surgery a week ago.
Keep those fish reports coming...gonna be a few months til I can fish! LOL

Get well soon Ron, the Tuna are coming!

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A

Yes, we showed him our licenses, and to ask what fish we had caught. They wanted to make sure we kept no rockfish. Showed them my small Yellowtail.

Upvote 0