Rpt.-Thur.-04-23-20 Great to get out, very slow!

PENN

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Hard to believe it has been 32 days, 03-21-20, since my last fishing trip, how time flies, and how short life is? Stay at home orders were followed by our family, I worked only on the weekends, when our plant was closed. Fortunately my job allows for a lot of working at home. Being an accountant, I am able to login directly to my office computer and perform tasks, answer and send emails, and request necessary files needed to get my job done. I come in and do everything possible that is difficult to do out of the office. Then I take home what I need for the following week requirements. I am semi-retired and I was only working 2 to 3 days a week previously. BTW still working at nearly 73, as my boss has wanted me to continue as long as I can.

Lal, his wife Barbara, and my wife Sheryl have enjoyed each other’s company for many years, and knowing we have each practiced safe stay at home procedures, we take the risk to share each other’s company. We have each provided dinner invitations, as Lal and I practice our culinary arts during this trying period. I can’t tell you how incredible our relationship provides some sort of relief for sitting at home listening to tragedy after tragedy occurring to our nation. So far both our families have avoided any infections and I pray that continues. I also hope all our fishing friends and family on Bloody Decks do the same.

So we launched the Rubber Ducky, Thur. 04-23-20 out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:20 am. Air temp at launch was 57 degrees, skies were somewhat clear, with calm seas. The water temps in the harbor were unreal cold at 54.5 degrees. Both this winter and last winter we do not remember water temps dropping below 58?

The forecast was for light wind in the morning and 3-4 knots in the afternoon, not sure on the finish, but it was blowing 8-10 at PV by 11am, typical, although entering the harbor in San Pedro at noon, the winds had backed off. We did encounter a lot of fog up at PV, which was not forecasted. It was clear up at Rocky Point where we started to fish.

The ocean was very lumpy going towards Rocky Point. Listening to the Coast Guard Marine Forecast, they said Gale warnings, 7-10 foot seas from Santa Cruz and further north. Yikes, no fun for sure. This set of facts certainly accounting for our lumpy seas.

Having heard that the area experienced an earthquake yesterday, our expectations were not inspiring. Lal’s good friend Richie and his crew Richard fished on Wednesday for nearly 12 hours to catch a couple of Rockfish and absolutely no Bass, so strange, yet Earthquakes tend to do that. The fish simply stop feeding.

We arrived at Rocky Point at about 6:30 am. It was a bumpy ride up here, some 22 miles. The water was infested with Red tide and or very muddy water. Expecting fish to bite in these conditions was extremely optimistic. We caught about a dozen mixed Bass, with one legal Sand Bass and one legal Calico Bass. I caught seven Whitefish, and Lal also caught a few Rockfish. Our usual Red holes were unyielding of almost anything. We fished near the kelp lines and in deeper structure, yet the water was horrible, muddy, red and pukey green and cold.

Leaving Rocky Point, we fished down the PV coast for one single Calico Bass, fighting fog all the way. We called it a day at high noon, and were on the trailer at 12:45pm.

We were using our usual 4inch clear red flake plastics, and1oz. Red lead heads. Although I caught all my Whitefish on squid strips and a 3oz iron.

Let’s get through this disaster as unscathed as possible, for you and all your loved ones on Bloody Decks, we wish you only safe passage through this endemic!

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Used to look for you guys comin in at south shore...I'm over by the lighthouse with my jacks most everyday from 11:30 til about 2. Its long beach at it's best right now for sure....nice to know I can start lookin again...

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
A side note about pierpoint...I dont know if u guys know rocky and his dog who's the caretaker of the dock at pierpoint landing..hes a super nice guy who lives down there and is having a rough time with no one around...
I help with cash and dog food when I can but I'm a broke mofo also...
If you know him and wanna help him out in any way I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it...
He lives in the shack on the very last pierpoint dock and is there everyday..

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Used to look for you guys comin in at south shore...I'm over by the lighthouse with my jacks most everyday from 11:30 til about 2. Its long beach at it's best right now for sure....nice to know I can start lookin again...

Cool!

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Thanks for the update brother. Happy both you and Sheryl are doing well. If we weren't doing the Covid quarantine. .. we would call this ...."just another slow spring day rockfishing"....uneventful at best.

But....I think you'll agree.... just the fresh air.... and the sounds and smells of being out on the water.... is like chicken soup for the soul for us jig and bait slingers!! Who'd a guessed. Be safe out there my brothers.

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    I was thinking some pics would be the closest thing to being out there. Any day on the water is better than not. It’s good to seeing you get out.

Reactions: Tunaslam
    Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
    Whittier California
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Wow,I knew things as of late were not normal at all,but both of you guys going out and throwing the red flake KMs and having a slow day?
    Man things are really bad! I’m not worried,I consider myself a positive thinking guy,so as with this virus thing I’m looking to some good news and reporting from you guys very soon!

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Wow,I knew things as of late were not normal at all,but both of you guys going out and throwing the red flake KMs and having a slow day?
    Man things are really bad! I’m not worried,I consider myself a positive thinking guy,so as with this virus thing I’m looking to some good news and reporting from you guys very soon!
    Make it happen Vic! How about the first local YT?

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Cory forgot to mention that I got the prettiest fish , a Manta Shrimp . Released over the water , not in the boat !!!

Avoiding the release, your best moment of the day, as it calmly wiggled off the hook unmolested and without you being terrorized!

Upvote 0

Latest posts