Rpt.-Thur. 03-17-16 SCI Rockfish and a big Tail.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I went fishing Thursday-03-17-16, with Dave Robinson, on his 28’ Farallon “Hooked”, with friends Ron, Kevin and Bob. We left Dave’s slip in Newport Harbor at 5:15 am Thursday morning. Our destination was San Clemente Island, to the West End.

As we exited the harbor we found the seas to be very calm, as forecasted. It was still very dark so we made our way out at a slower speed. The Radar showed no other boats in our path. Although the skies were extremely clear, there were signs of fog or low flying clouds near land, or perhaps a deeper Marine layer. The islands of Catalina and San Clemente Island were lurking in the mist.

There was a slight bump on the ocean, yet the first ocean was very nice, and the second ocean just past Catalina went to grease conditions until we got within 5 miles of San Clemente Island where some bigger swells appeared. We reached the West End at 8:05 am with decent conditions, and a nice current. It was a drop dead gorgeous day, almost all day and became T-shirt weather after 10 am! I worked on my Farmer’s Tan.

Dave set us up first in some shallow reefs, where they had caught Yellowtail on their previous trips. It was wide open fishing on a few Reds, Boccaccio, Coppers, Johnny Bass, Calico Bass and White Fish. I started with a Colt Sniper, and there were only a few times when I didn’t get bit on the fall. I was wondering if there was a bottom? If I hit bottom, a few pumps of the rod or a slow wind resulted in instant bites.

Dave kept us fishing in less than 180 feet, as the fishing for Rockfish was sensational. Although we all spent some time Yo Yoing Iron, no Yellowtail were hooked. Of course most of us couldn’t get off the bottom without being chewed on by Rockfish.

Dave had info of a good bite on big Yellowtail on the backside of the Island. So we ran about 8 miles to get there. There was very good signs of fish on very hard bottom. There were no obvious signs of Yellowtail, unless they were mixed in with the good marks of fish? About ten minutes into our drift Ron was slammed on his heavy Tady 4 Scrambled Egg lure. The first run took off nearly a 100 yards of line. A hard fight on a 2 speed Talica, reduced to low resulted in Ron landing at least a 28 pound, possibly 30 pound Yellowtail. We didn’t have a scale on board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin got bit a short time later and then got rocked by a big fish! That was it on the Tails. We spent 1.5 hours drifting the area and caught a few Rockfish and surprisingly catching quite a few Calico Bass in 250 feet of water, although that was not our intended target. Dave decided enough time wasted on chasing Tails; let’s fill up the sacks on Reds and Coppers.

Here I am with a double on the big Reds:

[​IMG]

Lots of Whitefish added to the action:

[​IMG]

We returned to shallower water, and proceeded to catch numerous fish, a nice variety of Reds, Coppers, and bigger Johnny Bass. We also found the White fish on the chew. The wind came up, and made our drifts very fast, although the fishing was still good. We just had to reset more often.

It was 2:30 pm and we had our limits of Rockfish, plus a bunch of Whitefish. The pleasant ride home was interrupted with an engine alarm of overheating. It appeared the impeller had failed. No cooling water was getting to the engine. Dave called vessel Assist and they arrived in a little over a half an hour, as we were three miles off the east end of Catalina and there was a boat stationed there.

The four hour tow home was taxing. However everyone realized that this was Dave’s first ever call to Vessel Assist in many years of fishing. We all hope the same time period occurs between occurrences next time. We finally docked at 8:30 pm.

Thanks Dave, for a great day of fishing, just a fun long day. It was a pleasure fishing with you again Ron, Kevin and Bob. Hope we all share a rail again soon!

Hook up! Cory

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Great report as always! Love reading every bit of it. Thanks for taking your time with pictures and sharing the details.

3. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    How do you fish the sniper?

4. albster

albster fresh one!!!

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    26ft skip jack "REEL HARD"
    Awesome report as usual!

5. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report, Cory! That's a nice day!

6. colemans224

colemans224 Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    seaswirl cc
    Awesome man looks like a great day and a lot of good eats. Thanks for the report.

7. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Nice rock fish and bonus Tail !! . We had some great bassin up the line too !!

8. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I guess you know why I didn't call last night? Also my phone was dead.

9. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Pretty much like any Yo Yo jig. Let sink to bottom bounce it a few times off the bottom, then a slow wind for 10 to 15 cranks, repeat! You get bit a lot on the sink. Good luck!

10. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thanks

11. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Thanks for the report.

12. dwr@c

[email protected] Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    28 Farallon HOOKED
    Your welcome Cory. Sorry about the long ride home. In 10 years running this boat that is the first failure and tow in. Lucky to have Vessel Asist. They sure got to us quick. We should be back up and running Monday afternoon !!

13. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    WTG guys, great report and nice home boy!!!

14. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    Another great report Cory! That is a nice YT.

After 10 years of SeaTow membership, I too had the "opportunity" to use it this year. I take good care of my boats and never expected to need the service.

We were 8 miles from HH and overheated an exhaust riser and burnt an exhaust hose. The Sea Tow captain was there in 30 minutes towed us back to the ramp and even offered to help load it on the trailer. The estimated tow cost would have been about $800.00 so we recovered much that has been paid in premiums.

Those of you who don't have tow insurance should take this as a reminder. I can only imagine the tow cost from the East end of Cat :eek:

Tunaslam and [email protected] like this.
  15. dwr@c

[email protected] Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    28 Farallon HOOKED
    Yeah. Without membership towing could have been a few grand. We sure had xlint service from vessel assist. I'm really surprised this happened as both the engine and out drive were removed from the boat for a full service in January