Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Oh well, you can’t win them all, half is a good percentage? It was only 50 degrees at the launch ramp, more Global warming? As we Launched the Rubber Ducky, Thur. 01-23-20 out of Davies in Long Beach at 6:35 am.

The ramp was quite busy, all of two trailers in the parking lot. The skies were crystal clear, and no clouds, as Father Sun was going to provide a nice assist to warming up today. The water temps 57.9 degrees in the harbor, eventually rising to 59.2 later in the day. The forecast was for 2 knots of wind in the morning and 5-6 in the afternoon, what a joke? How can we make these forecasters pay for their errors? By 8am it was 10-12, backed off and then came back by noon. The drift was so fast you could not keep a 1.5 OZ lead head from scoping out 100’s of feet in minutes.

Izor’s was quite popular, maybe because of Dr. Bob’s report? Maybe there were half dozen private boaters there. Believe me, it sucked bigtime. We metered the snot out of the fish, way too much bait, whatever they were? Both Lal and I got Bitch slapped. In 3 hours we caught a total of five Bass, wow, I did catch a four pounder, after losing several other big fellows, one unbuttoned half way up, after getting him out of the structure. My line was frayed badly.

Lal-Bass-01-23-20 2020-01-23 001 (1024x768).jpg

With the 10-12 knot wind dying down to fewer than 5, we moved to the Shoe. So much for repeat performance, the Shoe was dead, despite incredible meter marks. In a couple of hours and searching a dozen spots, we scratched out three small Calico Bass. The wind was back and we moved into the wall to pick up two more 1.5 pound Sand Bass, whoopee, we made limits, a whole ten Bass, probably our worst trip in years. My Momma said there would be days like this.

We were on the trailer at 1:30pm, quite disappointed. Such is fishing, we’ll get them next time.

Hook up! Cory

Attachments

FishingFiend

Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Robalo Cayman 226
Lots of lockjaw bass out there, very frustrating! I also can't believe how wrong the weather forecasts can be, especially the wind models. Thanks for the report.

Reactions: Tunaslam

DrBob89

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2017
Altadena, CA
Name
Bob Nigbor
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
There is a frustrating element of randomness to this pastime! I just got lucky on Tuesday, wind was not a factor and the fish were biting.

Thanks for the report. Next time!

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Thanks for the report. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Did you happen to notice if Nacho has squid?
Sorry we didn't pass close enough to read the signs. No bait for us, all plastics.

Reactions: LEC

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
There is a frustrating element of randomness to this pastime! I just got lucky on Tuesday, wind was not a factor and the fish were biting.

Thanks for the report. Next time!
Yep, conditions, conditions. We all know current matters, yet even with current the fish don't bite often, although seldom do they ever bite without some current. How the same spot loaded with fish does not bite in the morning and goes ballistic in the afternoon beats me? The Shoe has been off and on slow, then hot, it has been quite awhile since we have had a good day at Izors! PV also hot and cold and several months of slow fishing at Rocky Point. Our success has been on trying numerous spots and finally getting lucky on a couple. That is Bass fishing!

Reactions: LEC and mrkrabs

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Very unusual for you guys to have a slow day,shows your human,I’m sure you’ll be back all over them soon!

Cya Tuna Vic

Tailman

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 15, 2003
Cerritos
Visit site
Name
Lal Parsonge
Boat
18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
just heard from Taxfree at 9;00 they have 25 bass-yuo never know when they will bite !!!

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
just heard from Taxfree at 9;00 they have 25 bass-yuo never know when they will bite !!!
Well different day, different result, been there and done that! Good for Richie!