Rpt.-Sun-07-08-18 Bass'n the Good Ole Days!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Lal and I were hoping to fish Catalina for Yellowtail, yet the last few days for all boats fishing the Island, were poor. It never seems to pan out for good weather and good fishing at the Island, soon we hope? The weather forecast was the best in the last few weeks and we were up for a good trip anywhere.

So I went fishing Sunday 07-08-18, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky” with crew Mark. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am. The skies were mostly clear, the wind was calm, and as we exited the harbor, the seas were fairly flat, with only a small swell.

We headed towards the Huntington Beach Flats for what was expected to be the summer spawn for Sand Bass. Water temps were 65.6 degrees, we expected higher with all the latest heat?

Despite the less than expected water temps the Sand Bass were in a genuine up in the water column feeding frenzy. We had a WFO bite for over two hours. It is such a blast when you cast out a 4” Red Flake Plastic with a 1 oz. lead head and get hammered 15 to 20 feet down. We had numerous doubles and quite a few triples. It was game on and it sure made up for so many slow days over the last few months.

In the two hours working the same set of stones and hard bottom structure we caught and released over 100 Sand Bass to over four pounds. Most Bass were 2 pounds and under. Mark was top gun with a 4.5 pound Sand Bass; however he released it before I could capture a picture. Then again it was almost every cast a bite and there was no time for pictures.

Almost all of the Bass were seriously in spawning mode, very fat bellies! Despite a continuous bite Lal elected to work a few other areas to see if the bigger Bass were feeding. We spent about a half hour catching only a few Bass in about six different spots. So it was let’s return to the scene of the last slaughter.

Well guess what, they were still on the chew and in the next two hours we caught and released another 100 Bass, with only Two Calico Bass caught for the whole day. My biggest Sand Bass was 3.5 pounds while Lal caught this 4.25 pound Sand Bass:

Lal-Bass-07-08-18 2008-02-15 002 (1024x607).jpg

The bite finally died off after low tide at 11am, so we said we can’t top this, why not call it a day? It was a day to remember and felt like the good ole days of when the Sand Bass spawn was game on for all during this time of year. This was when Sport Boats caught four to five hundred each day, and landing counts were in the thousands. It is a sad scenario that has resulted in no big Bass spawn for the last four years, and so far this year none?

I’m extremely pleased that the DFG decided on a five fish limit and a 14 inch size limit. This will definitely provide an opportunity for greater Bass fishing in the future. Encouraging and implementing catch and release programs will make Bass fishing all the better for future generations. Keep a few for dinner, then release the big spawners and the little guys for greater fishing tomorrow!

Calm seas and Oh yeah, with air temps in the seventies, it sure beats the 100 and over in Diamond Bar.

Thanks Lal, it was another incredible day on the Ducky and much over due!

Hook up! Cory

2. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Nice job Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. jimu

jimu Member

Name:
    jim unger
    Boat:
    stike zone
    Thanks Cory, Awesome report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. djennings

djennings Newbie

Name:
    David Jennings
    Boat:
    Arima sea angler 19 "NEW DAY RISING"
    Great job Cory! We fished the same area and the bite turned on from noon to 1pm for us. Great day to be on the water!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. reelbadlarry

reelbadlarry Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    23ft parker, reel bad
    Anybody get arrested or towed?

Tunaslam and ssrmr2 like this.
  6. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Good to hear of your conservation practice and also great to hear about the bass willing to play.

7. beerman1

beerman1 Member

Name:
    eric
    Boat:
    triumph 17 CC
    I share your opinion on the 14" and 5 fish limit. It has really improved bass fishing locally....Now , if they would invoke a minimum size limit for yellowtail, the same would happen to that species. Anyway, great report Cory.

PacificPredator and Tunaslam like this.
  8. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    "I’m extremely pleased that the DFG decided on a five fish limit and a 14 inch size limit. This will definitely provide an opportunity for greater Bass fishing in the future. Encouraging and implementing catch and release programs will make Bass fishing all the better for future generations. Keep a few for dinner, then release the big spawners and the little guys for greater fishing tomorrow!"

Great report Cory and I couldn't agree with you more on the DFG decision. Not only are you seeing it with the sand bass, just look at all the incredible quality of Calicos being caught all over So Cal...i have never seen such a consistent amount of quality come from the islands, as I've seen this year. It's been incredible!

I fished a lot duting the days of 10 12" fish bag limits and....without a doubt the species is bouncing back!

All the best!

9. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nothing wrong with a wide open, local bass bite with a short ride home!

Thanks Mr Visser!

Tunaslam and Tuna Vic like this.
  10. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Great day guys,and I agree with the size limit also,and have noticed the difference in quality myself!

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Not yet, still working on it!

12. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    There is one, two under 28 inches. In Mexico no size limit. I don't think the Sport Boats enforce this one. Not heard of DFG doing so either, although that does not mean they don't?

13. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hey Cory,
    In SoCal you can keep 5 yellowtail under 24", and 5 over, 10 total. Personally, I would be happy with 3 under, 3 over. We're talking daily limits. Couldn't think of a more fun fish to C&R.

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Agree!

15. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Let's All Just Get Along

Name:
    Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Old Spool - Parker 2520
    Thanks for the report! I was out of Crystal Cove and Dana yesterday. Coolest water I saw was 71 with it reaching 73 in some spots. Pretty slow overall in Newport and a little better in Dana. Caught a rat yellow in the kelp which was a pleasant surprise. Tonnage of barracuda at #2 spot in Crystal Cove but the bass bite was slow. Will head up to the flats on the next local trip and give it a whirl thanks to your report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    I would like none under 24-give a chance to reproduce

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. Woodeneye

Woodeneye Well-Known "Member"

Name: