Rpt.-Sun.-03-23-14 Local Bass'n!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I went fishing Sun. 3-23-14, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am, our beginning destination being Izor’s Reef.

Lal has been on a hot streak lately, catching anywhere from 30+ to 50+ Bass on his last three trips, whether it be Palos Verdes or Izor’s Reef. So I was with great anticipation that we would experience a similar outcome today.

The forecast called for little wind, 5 to 6 knots with the usual afternoon 10 to 15 knots expected. There was a deep marine layer and it was unexpectantly cold, as we ran out to the reef? We have been spoiled lately with very warm temperatures!

We arrived in the beginning of grey light just after 6am. The seas were very calm, and there was zero current. The meter lit up with plenty of fish, on top of a very large stone, some 15 feet high. Lal stated that some good bites had occurred off the structure on their last trip. Neither of us got bit on our first few drifts. Then I got hammered near the bottom, about three cranks up, on a five inch MC Red Flake with a 1.5 oz. lead head. The fish was hostile and really shook its head violently. Half way up it took some drag, not wanting to reach the surface. You could see a large shadow about 15 feet deep and up came a very nice Sand Bass.

My first Sand Bass of the day, a 4.75 pounder, a great start:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water temps were between 61.7 to 62.5 degrees and the lack of current was death? To call it a slow pick, was extreme exaggeration! I caught a 3 pounder and then a 2.5 pound Sandy in the next three hours, Lal didn’t fare any better, yikes?

After five hours drifting over promising structure, some of which were loaded with bait and signs of predators, we had scratched out a total of 4 Sand Bass and a single Sculpin, all released.

We ran along the coast looking at stone after stone for virtually nothing. We added 2 more 1.5 pound Sand Bass to our count.

At high noon, we yelled uncle, yielding to the distinct evidence that it was not to be our day? We were out of the water a bit after 1pm and home soon to watch some great College Basketball.

Thanks Lal, we can’t win them all, I appreciate the invite, I guess you were due for this kind of day, after stellar results recently? We’ll get em next time!

Hook up! Cory

m_mcgourty and PHT like this.
  2. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Took a nice shot at it gents!!!

3. gved823

gved823 Member

Name: