Rpt.-Sun. 01-27-19 Relentless 1.5 day to Colonet.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    1.5 Day fishing trip on the Relentless-ending Sunday 01-27-19

Departure Friday 01-25-19.

I left my office in San Bernardino at 3:10 pm and headed south to Point Loma in San Diego; arriving at 5:30 pm. There was heavy traffic most of the way. Parking spots were plentiful often like gold on a Friday night. It was a limited load trip and as of this morning they only had 11 reservations, projecting a light load. However one of the San Diego Boats cancelled and Captain Mikey left the dock with 19 anxious anglers.

The boat was scheduled to leave at 7pm; and when I got on the boat it was already full, with the bunk selection being scarce. I had little choice, but to pick a bottom bunk. On Wednesday fishing with Lal I took a bad fall and my back was not ready for the abuse? Fortunately visiting the Doctor and getting X-rays everything was negative, so no fractures, otherwise I would have had to cancel. Nevertheless I was extremely sore and any sudden movement resulted in unreal pain.

I said hello to Captain Mikey, cook Kyle, second ticket Dave, crew Trevor and one other, all a great crew.

Everyone was signed in by 6:30 pm, but the office was having computer problems and needed to scan the Passports. So we pulled away from the dock at 7pm. In anticipation for the 120 mile, 12 hour trip down the coast, bait was already on board.

Cook Kyle put out some chips and salsa as well as fresh fruit. A big pot on the stove yielded incredible aromas of homemade Chile. This was an all-inclusive trip. With Bellies full the bunks became a popular place to be. I brought one of my favorite books and read until 10 pm before calling it a night.

Day 1 Saturday-01-26-19

I was up at 5:30 am and the fresh coffee had just finished. It was close to a lake outside. About 6:45am, some 4 miles from the point, it got breezy, and by 8am there were small white caps. We joined 4 other Sport Boats and a couple of Yachts on the high spot.

It has been at least ten years since I have had the pleasure of fishing Colonet without serious wind. Not to be today either, as by noon it was blowing 20. I gulped down a delicious breakfast burrito.

We started seeing signs of Yellowtail a little after 7:30 am. One of the other boats had just landed five. Captain Mikey set us up on a nice school and told us to jig (Yo Yo) like we meant it. A minute or two later the call of fresh one was heard by all. Then there were a few other screams. On my third drop I was bit 6 cranks off the bottom and it was game on. I was using a Salas 6X Dorado color lure on my 50 pound Trinidad outfit on my 6’ Sabre Stick. The Yellowtail a few short runs and I slowly worked it to the surface. The Tails were hanging out in 220 feet of water.

At deep color I felt that awful head shake and a pulled hook, darn! We landed five on this drift. I missed my chance, yet I was thrilled that fighting a big fish did not torture my back.

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 001 (1024x768).jpg

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 002 (714x1024).jpg

Captain Mikey put on top of another school, but this one quickly scattered, although we did a couple of hookups right off the bat. On the third school and on my second drop I was again bit close to the bottom. A scrappy Tail and fought all the way to the surface. Although and 18 pound Yellowtail does not have too much chance against my 50 pound and a fairly solid drag setting.

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 004 (1024x768).jpg Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 005 (1024x440).jpg Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 006 (1024x569).jpg

Not a bad start to the day, as we had a fish count of some 12 Yellowtail all in the 15 to 25 pound range. Top boat counts so far were on the Pacific Queen with 30. However, they have a lot more anglers tossing jigs and perhaps a bit more talent too?

We found school after school of Yellowtail, however with the wind building, the drifts were fast and you only got a quick shot at them. We picked a few here and there and with a serious scope out I was able to get bit 280 feet of water half way up. I could tell this Tail was a bit bigger and despite not taking much drag, lifting him was a task. Finally Mikey stuck a 21 pound Yellowtail. This was probably at 11am and most of us had tired arms from all the cranking. Yo Yoing is hard work especially fighting the wind and scope out in depths over 200 feet.

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 008 (1024x532).jpg

We targeted the Yellowtail possibly a bit longer than expected as with the stiff winds fishing the bottom was difficult. The wind was projected to lie down and by 1:30 pm it dropped to about 12 knots. We picked up only a couple more, but two were close to 30 pounds.

Cook Kyle was busy cooking up delicious Bacon Cheeseburgers, Turkey, Ham or BLT sandwiches.

Using at least twelve ounce and heavier weights, we fish depths of 300 to 500 feet. I was using a 2 pound weight and four hooks. The direction of the wind seemed to be constantly changing and made for bad conditions. We picked away at the cod for 4-5 hours before calling it a day. I caught a few Reds, lots of Starries and Santa Marias, many too small to keep and of course Boccaccio. I donated most of the Boccaccio to family pot. Overall some decent Red fishing, one Cow Cod and a big Arkansas.

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 010 (768x1024).jpg

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 009 (768x1024).jpg

Dinner consisted of Pork Loin with an outstanding sauce, green beans, mashed potatoes; salad and some desert, which I skipped and I passed out at 8pm. My back, arms, legs and shoulders were killing me. It’s a bitch to get old?

A very nice sunset:

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-26 011 (1024x768).jpg

Sunday-01-27-19

I woke up at all hours of the night, not feeling comfortable in any position and finally got up for the last time at 5am. Enjoyed some coffee and could barely escape the back pain. No way would I have been able to fish today.

A beautiful sunrise near Point Loma:

Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-27 001 (1024x768).jpg Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-27 002 (1024x768).jpg Relentless 1..5 day 01-27-19 2019-01-27 003 (1024x768).jpg

We docked at 8am and I was on the road to Diamond Bar by 8:30am, arriving home shortly after 10am.

Captain Mikey thank you so much for your attention to detail, great crew, comfortable boat, and dedication to finding biting fish!

Hook up! Cory

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    doncatfish, jsl, One_Leg and 41 others like this.
  2. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Damn you`re a warrior Cory. Great report, great fish, CONGRATS!!!!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. yknot

yknot Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grady
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks for the write up, great report. Glad you were able to make a go at it even with the back and got some fish. Congrats.

Puria Keshmiri and Tunaslam like this.
  4. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice yellows. Way to hang in there!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. Ryanbrandeburg

Ryanbrandeburg My wife's fishing guide

Name:
    Ryan Brandeburg
    Boat:
    Ranger 2510
    Looks like a great trip. I hope those yellows make it up this way soon.

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    Solid. Did you see if the other people catching yellows were on the full size irons or a variety? Great report and gotta love the Relentless!

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Nice yellows Cory.
    What the F is an Arkansas?

tunacraze and Tunaslam like this.
  8. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Yellows like that give people with out back pain, back pain.

Way to hang in there, trooper.

colemans224, the SLIDER and Tunaslam like this.
  9. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Damn you’re tough! I’m fighting degenerative discs and staring down back surgery right now. Reading your post makes me hurt! Good job on the yellers.

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Color didn't seem to matter, Red, Scrambled Egg, Orange, Blue and White, Chrome, all caught fish.

onehottip and jer dog like this.
  11. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    It's a deep water Rockfish, very dark red and some black. The one that was caught was over five pounds and they taste as good as a Vermillion (Red).

12. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Thanks Cory.
    Never heard of it.

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. Sciaenops

Sciaenops Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    great report, Cory. quality yt you got there. I feel your pain - 500' rockfishing after yo-yoing most of the day??? that's a workout!

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. katchfish

katchfish Member

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    OK Prowler
    Trooper! Great report as always.

Funny the way it is when you think about it....

Never too sore to throw the salami or the 6X Jr

Give a good chiropractor a visit.

Motrin, stay active!

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Looking forward to some Hamachi to night , I will make some cevechi and slice some raw yellowtail dipped in homemade ponzu sauce, then grill a piece with veges !! YUM-Thanks Cory

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Can't wait?

Tunahead likes this.
  17. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Speaking of relentless, my hat is off to you, Man o' Steel! Keep healing. We always look forward to your stellar reports.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Tunaslam likes this.
  18. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Thanks for the yellowtail, dinner was very good last night. I took the rest to your mechanic and his eyes lit up !!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. muletrain

muletrain Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Great report as always

One day I’ll be able to fish as often as you do

Thanks for sharing

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. Tunaslam