Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
It has been nearly four months since posting a report, a real crime and very unusual for me. Between Thumb Surgery, bad weather and downright poor fishing I have remained land locked, except for several voyages out foraging for Bass, as most other fish were either forbidden to take during January and February closures. The Bass fishing has been horrid and not worth a report. Just simply could not pick the right day to find them.

In all my memories I cannot recall ever witnessing such cold water this late in the spring. In fact, even in the depth of winter, I can’t remember 53.5-degree temperatures. Brrrrrr!

So, a weather window opened up for this weekend and I went fishing with Morris on his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” leaving his slip in Huntington Harbor at about 5:40am Saturday morning 03-24-21.

We stopped at Nachos, where we bought a half scoop of Sardines and were hoping for some live Squid. None was available at Catalina either, as when we reached mid channel, upon hailing the Long Beach Carnage, he had just sold his last scoop. The seas were calm, but a little bumpy, as we witnessed a beautiful sunrise.

The ride over to the east end of Catalina was pleasant. As we were turning the corner and heading toward the west end of San Clemente Island, the swells increased considerably.

We arrived the west end shortly before 9am. We headed toward the nine-fathom spot where in between we had several spots marked from our prior trip in December, which was Morris first attempt at fishing deep water Rockfish on the West End of SCI. Water temps had jumped all the way up to 55.7 degrees and was dirty green.

I used my favorite rig, an 8 oz. Burnt Orange Jax Jig with a shrimp fly tipped with squid 18 inches above the lure. Morris used a Flat Fall Jig with a squid strip. I hit bottom and was immediately hung on the bottom, which subsequently broke off, nice start to the day. Morris brought up a nice sized Three Spot. I proceeded to re-rig; a challenge given my right hand is in a cast. Morris proceeded to reset our drift.

I dropped down and caught a Santa Maria, big enough to keep. I used Morris small Starry by fileting it into two Tail strips for my Jax Jig. The spot dried up and we looked around. On my next drop I caught a nice Copper and a Gopher Cod. It was pretty steady fishing for all sorts of Rockfish, some good-sized Johnny Bass and medium size Whitefish. However, no Reds or Lingcod.

Short of limits, yet at noon we moved into shallower water to fish for the easier depth for Whitefish, Sheepshead, and Calico Bass. Fishing in a hard bottom area of from 150 feet down to 110, we enjoyed some real fun fishing on lighter gear. The last time we fished this area it was productive, however, today it was slow fishing and too many nursery fish.

At 1pm we moved back out to deep water on a mark we had not yet fished in a different area. I got to the bottom and was hammered and up came a 5–6-pound Red. Morris had switched to fishing a dropper Loop with a whole frozen squid and got hammered, with the same result, a big Red. We made several more drifts and caught two more Reds, a Copper, and a Bocaccio, before tiring of the deep water and long hauls to the surface. Besides, we were nearly limited out.

Picture of the big Reds:

We headed to an area fished last December, where we absolutely slammed the Calico Bass on a long drift of about ½ mile. After several drifts and not one single Calico Bass in the cold frigid water, we called it a day at 2:30pm. We originally had planned to spend the night in Pyramid Cove, yet given no live squid, decided we had enough fun and headed to the barn.

It was a bumpy ride home, with lots of whitecaps past the east end of Catalina. Arrived to his slip at 6:00 pm.

I get my cast off Wednesday, looking forward to that, although I paid today for abusing my thumb.

Thanks, so much Morris, what a fun day.

I cannot wait until we do it again.

Hook up! Cory

Sure would like to understand how to cut and paste pictures into my post?

JUG-SCI-03-27-21 2021-03-27 001 (1024x626).jpg

JUG-SCI-03-27-21 2021-03-27 002 (777x1024).jpg

JUG-SCI-03-27-21 2021-03-27 003 (1024x768).jpg

JUG-SCI-03-27-21 2021-03-27 004 (1024x768).jpg

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Great report Corey.
    Glad you got out and had a good trip with Morris.
    I fished in a long arm cast in the past. Good luck on your thumb rehab.
    ✌️ ✌️

Reactions: Tunaslam

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Glad you got a chance to get out. You told me once.... many decades ago brother ...everyday can't be spectacular.....lol. Decent reds... for the local area for sure. As always.... as fishermen..... we can't wait till next time. Be safe. Hope Cheryl's doing well.

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Glad you got a chance to get out. You told me once.... many decades ago brother ...everyday can't be spectacular.....lol. Decent reds... for the local area for sure. As always.... as fishermen..... we can't wait till next time. Be safe. Hope Cheryl's doing well.

Sheryl is doing well, still has a few memory problems from her stroke, yet don't we all seniors have moments of memory loss? Thanks for asking.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Nice fish and SOLID WORK Cory. Damn Cory you beat me to the thumb surgery! With a 5th Cellulitis scar infection almost gone, my right thumb Carpel Joint is SHOT! I may be next thumb under the knife. LOL
    Great to see you 2 got off the dock and put fish on the deck.
    All this damn wind causing UPWELLING thus colder water still. Damn

Last edited:
    May 6, 2004
    Newport
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    28 Farallon HOOKED
    Nice fish and SOLID WORK Cory. Damn Cory you beat me to the thumb surgery! With a 5th Cellulitis scar infection almost gone, my right thumb Carpel Joint is SHOT! I may be next thumb under the knife. LOL
    Great to see you 2 got off the dock and put fish on the deck.
    All this damn wind causing UPWELLING thus colder water still. Damn
    Oh Boy. I had Cellulitis last summer below my left knee and into my ankle and foot. That’s nothing to mess with ! Luckily they kept it from spreading above the knee.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    N
    Oh Boy. I had Cellulitis last summer below my left knee and into my ankle and foot. That’s nothing to mess with ! Luckily they kept it from spreading above the knee.
    NO KIDDING....I've had 8 shoulder surgeries, and the 5th Cellulitis Infection in the large scar from Titanium Shoulder Replacement few years ago. I now have the packing and everything to treat at home, w/anti-biotics via my surgeon. Hope to god I get back on the water again this summer. On the mend sucks LOL TC Don't you get it again!

Reactions: [email protected]