Rpt-Liberty 08-01-18 Tuna and Tails.

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tunaslam, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I went fishing on a 1 day trip on the Liberty Wednesday 08-01-18. Things were looking better all the time for fishing offshore in Mexican waters. I always enjoy kelp paddy hopping and the chance to get open water jig strikes from Yellowfin Tuna.

I arrived at Fishermen’s Landing at 4:30am, and the office had not yet opened. I cued up to sign in and purchased a bunk, because getting up at 2:30 am to drive down to San Diego takes a lot out of me in my old age.

We left the dock at 5:45 am with 39 eager anglers, some experienced and many with rent rods. On an 85 foot boat that amount of people is doable. We stopped for a nice mix of 4-6 inch sardines, with the 4 inch variety the majority.

I brought 20,25,30,40 and 60 pound outfits. The Liberty has been completely refurbished and redesigned since I fished on it in the late sixties with Captain Dick Shaver, one of my all-time favorite Captains. I remember when heading home from Catalina, this boat could get from the front side of the island to the Long Beach light in under 1 hour 45 minutes, it was quick. Not sure about the fuel consumption though? Today the standard speed of 9.5 to 10 knots prevailed when cruising.

Captain Tito with crew Anigle, Paul and cook Sara announced we would be arriving our beginning destination at around 9am, some 25 miles offshore working our way southwest to about 40 miles. East of the Hidden Bank I think? Before the islands disappeared we were off the middle grounds around ten miles west. Then I had no idea where we were.

I was somewhat using this trip as a prelude to a private boating trip the following day, however, with whitecaps starting at 9am, and washing machine conditions with 1 to foot wind chop, it was not ideal for private boating. However, the big 85 footer didn’t even feel the breeze or swells, cruising smoothly along as if on a lake. I did remember how well this boat rode the seas, which have not changed whatsoever!

Cook Sara made a mean Breakfast Burrito and even meaner half pound cheeseburger. The crew was spot on and very helpful.

We stopped on or trolled by kelp paddy after dry kelp paddy until about 11am when we found one holding Yellowtail. We landed about a dozen, all in the 8 to 12 pound range. I got bit twice and they spit the hook both times. Otherwise I could not get a bait to swim away from the boat which sucks. A few fish were being hooked on jigs off the bow and I elected to join them with my Colt Sniper setup. No luck for me.

A repass on the kelp yielded nothing and we moved on. Around noon we got a jig strike on a Yellowfin Tuna, I believe the only trolling fish of the day. Despite using 20 pound line with Flouro Leader and a #2 hook, and casting into boiling fish, no bites for me. As figures, several rent rods hooked tuna on I think 25 pound outfits with much larger hooks? Oh well who can beat beginner’s luck. We now had two Yellowfin and Two Bluefin on deck. The troll fish looked to be about 15 pounds, while the other Tuna went 8 to 12 pounds.

Around 1pm we pulled up on breaking Tuna near a small paddy. I got bit almost instantly and thought I had hooked a bigger Bluefin as its initial run was well over 100 yards. It stopped and after gaining a few yards of line it took another 50+ yard run. Oh no am I under gunned with 20 pound? Then it did the wrong thing and sounded and headed back towards the boat allowing me gain at least 100 yards. The big fish sulked for a while before tiring and up came a bigger Yellowtail around 20 pounds. I was shocked, would of sworn this fish was much larger? Any ways it was the biggest fish on the boat and had they had a jackpot I would have won easily.

Some pictures:

Laiberty-08-01-18 2018-07-31 002.JPG Laiberty-08-01-18 2018-07-31 003 (1024x768).jpg Laiberty-08-01-18 2018-07-31 004 (1024x562).jpg

One of the small Bluefin caught:

Laiberty-08-01-18 2018-07-31 005 (842x1024).jpg

We also landed four more Bluefin on this stop and lost a number of fish. We saw a few more schools of Tuna and they were eager to play. I believe we found 25 paddies, of which only two were holding. It is still tough fishing out there. Headed in around 3pm and docked at a little after 6pm. My two hour nap was sure a blessing for my long drive home, after checking about fishing on Thursday with my proposed ride stating too much wind, so cancelled. Home in Diamond Bar at 8:30 pm.

The final count was 6 Bluefin, 2 Yellowfin and 16 Yellowtail, a little over ½ a fish per angler, not a stellar day for sure.

I remain overdue for picking the right day and right boat to fish this year, and I will keep on trying. Hook up! Cory

2. bobsled

bobsled Consumer

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice write up. I'm going to try them on Monday.

Oh, did you use anything other than the 20 or 25# rigs?

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I threw out the 30 once, but the line was too heavy for the small sardines.

Tunahead likes this.
  4. mkfriedrich

mkfriedrich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    michael friedrich
    Boat:
    Liberty
    Passed right by you heading down yesterday to the boat. Good job man.

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Member

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    The Liberty has always been a fish catching machine since the day it was built. It has had numerous outstanding operators such as Dick Shaver, Dick Gaspar, Jim Roddy, Tim Voaklander and Gary Nordbye among many. Yes, it was the fastest 85 footer of the day. It was built with twin Cat 343s and could easily do 14kts when needed. Just a great boat. So good to see it continues to do well.

T.O.T.W. and Tunaslam like this.
  6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Member

Name:
    Brad G
    Boat:
    none
    Nice review

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Cbaldwin

Cbaldwin A whales vagina

Name:
    Connor Baldwin
    Boat:
    yes
    Great write up. Yeah there are some quality yellowtail on the kelps. Been an interesting season, seen a lot more fish than hooked but still had some great trips. I am also fishing lighter line this year do to all the microbait these fish are feeding on. Good job on 20 lb outfit. Tuesday i got rocked by a big yt that went into the paddy. We made macs so were able to slow troll back up to paddy and thats when i have been getting most of my fish. Good job

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Tunaslam likes this.
  8. ynitro56

ynitro56 Newbie

Name:
    Yoshi
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thank you for the report! As always a pleasure to read!

Tight Lines,

YY

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. sdjfish

sdjfish Deck Ape

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Nice tail Cory!

Tunahead and Tunaslam like this.
  10. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice job Cory! Even us old(er) guys still get some 'tail once in a while! :D

11. Yella1

Yella1 So Fishy

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    Pay to Play
    Thanks for the write-up. Yeah, the Liberty is definitely my favorite boat out of SD. It has it all (including bunks). Crew is awesome. Captain Taro can find fish in the freaking desert. However, making them bite is in God's hands :rolleyes:. Can't wait to fish with them again soon! Tight lines!

12. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Another excellent report! Congrats on a really nice fish! It's frustrating to watch thousands of fish which have lockjaw, but coming back on a one-day trip with a 20# plus yellowtail after a great fight is a GOOD trip IMO.

13. Abusaade

Abusaade Member

Thanks . Reading your report at lunch time made my food tastes fishy good

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Certainly a rare treat! Celebrating our 49th anniversary soon, I have had my share with a beautiful women! A very lucky man, am I.

Reel hip and Tunahead like this.
  15. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    WTG Cory! Beats what I was catching!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Someday we will get back in the saddle together, few and far between trips for sure? With the warm water there SB Tails everywhere?

Tunahead likes this.
  17. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :jig::jig::cheers::finger:

Tunaslam likes this.
  18. Rimack

Rimack Old School

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Nope
    Nice job Mr. Visser. Great report as usual.
    I think most of us on this forum are overdue, we’re going to give it one more shot this October!

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. winnawinna17

winnawinna17 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    dreaming
    The Liberty crew is amazing.
    I was wondering if they ask you what the anglers want to do now that I see them chasing down the Tunas. Or is it the Captains choice what is best for the anglers?

I may go this weekend.

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. jughead

jughead Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    24 Seaswirl striper
    Nice going Cory! Have you been back on the boat you caught those 2 big bluefin last year? thunderbird?

Tunaslam likes this.