chopper976

Oct 1, 2005
oc
Name
mike
Boat
25 skipjack sportcruiser
F8880A11-A1DB-4717-B19D-945F1D58EF53.png
Quick and dirty the weather sucked and so did the fishing. I am so sick of reading various weather reports that state how nice and calm it is going to be and they are so far off it is beyond words.

The forecast called for under ten all day and especially nicer in the afternoon. Bet me as at Catalina it was capping at 7am and at SCI it was a lot worse after backing off for a few hours and then going to 20+ knots and past Catalina at 5pm it was 20-25. Gnarly. Swells were supposed be 2 feet but were easily 4-5 and some bigger in the Catalina channel coming home.

We stopped on plenty of really nice kelp paddies in 71 to 75 degree beautiful blue water for nothing. We never saw any birds working anywhere over the 155+ miles we traveled. We watched five seiners working the desperation reef area and other parts of the backside of San Clemente Island. We watched them pull in one wrap loaded with fish. Some PB'er came on the radio and said this seiner couldn't keep these fish and hurry over they are giving them away? Bizarre, we came over to take a look they weren't give away anything. Bluefin were crashing all over in their nets.

Lots of private boaters flying kites. We didn't see anyone hooked up, yet we didn't arrive the back side of SCI until 11am. When the wind reached 20 knots we went to the front side and looked for tails all the way down to White Rock, nothing. Caught a dozen small Calico Bass to 2 pounds. We had beautiful bait, firecracker but hook size Sardines, very few died and they made for great Calico Bass fishing, but the weather spoiled our fun.

Fished on the 26' Skipjack Jugular with Morris.

It was a long long day, from 3am to back at the dock at 7:30 and home by 8:30.

I know I am going to break out of this slump sometime soon!

Crappy dumb weathermen! Get another job!

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
We did the same as you but in a 35 Cabo was really lumpy Thursday much better Friday and Saturday. Ride from South of Clemente to Catalina SUCKED. Wide open calico bite at Catalina to 8 lbs but no game fish for us. Did watch a seal enjoy a 20 lb yellow at Church Rock.

Brad

Reactions: Tunaslam

doug wille

_BigWille
Aug 20, 2017
Santa Monica
Name
doug
Boat
freedom boat club; light load open party where the fish are
I looked at Swell Watch and Buoy Weather, when they were both the same I didn't look further. I have never liked or relied on Noaa, they often stink. So when they differ who do you rely on? Should not be that way, they should all be reliable?
too many micro climates and noaa and all the sites that just repurpose noaa data are forecasting averages for a very large area, not the micro climates created by islands, water temp/breaks and land formations. regardless, i've had the same experience and agree they suck! good luck.

doug wille

_BigWille
Aug 20, 2017
Santa Monica
Name
doug
Boat
freedom boat club; light load open party where the fish are
I couldn’t agree more....I don’t believe the weather...I’m my own weatherman at this point

I’m not going out until this big SW swell finishes with us.....and hopefully this changes something.

Everywhere I’ve been...it seems to be full of bait...or dirty water.

I’m not complaining....but things just don’t seem right in our local/off shore waters.
too much bait in the water. started with the red crab invasion in may. they moved north and are jugged on the back side of santa cruz, but the bio mass of chovy is the issue. regardless, i've seen entire ecosystems around paddies the past week or so including yt and dodos and some bite and some don't. unexplainable. just have to find the one that bites. they're out there!!!!!