Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Quick and dirty the weather sucked and so did the fishing. I am so sick of reading various weather reports that state how nice and calm it is going to be and they are so far off it is beyond words.

The forecast called for under ten all day and especially nicer in the afternoon. Bet me as at Catalina it was capping at 7am and at SCI it was a lot worse after backing off for a few hours and then going to 20+ knots and past Catalina at 5pm it was 20-25. Gnarly. Swells were supposed be 2 feet but were easily 4-5 and some bigger in the Catalina channel coming home.

We stopped on plenty of really nice kelp paddies in 71 to 75 degree beautiful blue water for nothing. We never saw any birds working anywhere over the 155+ miles we traveled. We watched five seiners working the desperation reef area and other parts of the backside of San Clemente Island. We watched them pull in one wrap loaded with fish. Some PB'er came on the radio and said this seiner couldn't keep these fish and hurry over they are giving them away? Bizarre, we came over to take a look they weren't give away anything. Bluefin were crashing all over in their nets.

Lots of private boaters flying kites. We didn't see anyone hooked up, yet we didn't arrive the back side of SCI until 11am. When the wind reached 20 knots we went to the front side and looked for tails all the way down to White Rock, nothing. Caught a dozen small Calico Bass to 2 pounds. We had beautiful bait, firecracker but hook size Sardines, very few died and they made for great Calico Bass fishing, but the weather spoiled our fun.

Fished on the 26' Skipjack Jugular with Morris.

It was a long long day, from 3am to back at the dock at 7:30 and home by 8:30.

I know I am going to break out of this slump sometime soon!

Crappy dumb weathermen! Get another job!

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Sounds like a rough trip. You are putting in more than your normal dues....and will be repaid!!

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific weather report you typically use? I'll be sure not to use that one :D

El Chiva

Well-Known "Member"
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
I couldn’t agree more....I don’t believe the weather...I’m my own weatherman at this point

I’m not going out until this big SW swell finishes with us.....and hopefully this changes something.

Everywhere I’ve been...it seems to be full of bait...or dirty water.

I’m not complaining....but things just don’t seem right in our local/off shore waters.

Bradyxxx

Sep 21, 2014
San Diego
Name
Braden
Boat
Catchalot
Thanks for the report Cory, Sorry to hear the weather sucked.
You might want to try this NOAA weather service, (if you haven’t already)
has been pretty reliable for me!

313E0466-AF67-453B-A899-9D40937B15BC.png

ssrmr2

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 15, 2006
Cypress
Name
STEVE
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
seiner can’t keep the bft... they are free...

what weather forecast site do you use?

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
The weather was supposed to be nice but a hurricane from Mexico ruined it.

Sad to hear about the seiners, making an already slow year even slower up here

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Sounds like a rough trip. You are putting in more than your normal dues....and will be repaid!!

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific weather report you typically use? I'll be sure not to use that one :D
I looked at Swell Watch and Buoy Weather, when they were both the same I didn't look further. I have never liked or relied on Noaa, they often stink. So when they differ who do you rely on? Should not be that way, they should all be reliable?

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
seiner can’t keep the bft... they are free...

what weather forecast site do you use?
I looked at Swell Watch and Buoy Weather, when they were both the same I didn't look further. I have never liked or relied on Noaa, they often stink. So when they differ who do you rely on? Should not be that way, they should all be reliable?

sydleier

Aug 19, 2012
Playa del Rey
Name
Sydney Leier
Boat
23' cc Mary Esther
We use windfinder.com and it's usually spot on for wind, swell, period, ect once you are within 3 days .

Reactions: Tunaslam and M4TT

Cbaldwin

A whales vagina
Jul 14, 2016
La Mesa
Name
Connor Baldwin
Boat
yes
Yep weatherman suck. Us surfers do a better job forecasting than the paid professionals. I take a beating on my 20 ft seapro some days. So sore the next day. No bueno. You will getem good next time. I have to do boat maintenance this coming week with boat partner so no fishing till following week. Living/fishing vicariously through your reports. Aloha keep them coming

Reactions: Tunaslam

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
That's rough. This summer has been disappointing.

pelon2

Jul 8, 2007
HB
Name
Marco
Boat
various
Windy.com (Wndyty) and Sailflow. You can select which model to use on Windy, I find the European one is more reliable.

hotrail20

Intrepid 200 LB Club
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
I feel like you Cory Chino Hills to the Ocean 5 long trips Nada but I had great weather trying

Killerskiff

The end is near
Jul 5, 2008
Hootervillle
Name
JD
Boat
Obliviousone
Wither your an angler or a golfer wind is the enemy and the only thing worse is a bad forecast. Not so bad when local but when running long and having to run uphill home, Mother Nature sure can be a real bitch! If you check out the aforementioned sites and look at the day before and the day after a trip, most often you'll get a better picture.

Haven't had my ass handed to me in a long time using this method. Say what you like but with the energy and expense of our sport, diligence is always a wise decision, especially when gals, green horns or kids are aboard. And the best day of working is not better than the worst day of fishing, IMHO.

Last edited: