Val1717

Wasting away at work
Sep 26, 2017
Bakersfield
Name
Val
Boat
31' Silverton "Popeye"
Picked up a scoop of squid and sardines from Nachos. Bait was strong and lasted all day with only handful dying in the tank. Fished the front side from Ismuths to Arrow Point. A lot of nice size calicos and sheepshead. A couple of real nice ones caught at Eagle reef.

Stayed the night in the anchor with a a lot rocking until 2 this morning. Then things calmed down and had a good nights sleep. Woke up to overcast skies and a strong breeze. Not a lot happening so we called it an early day and made the run back to HH at about 1130 this morning. There was a listless chop but not a bad ride
We saw a lot of dolphins and a few whales on the way over which was really cool. Last night we heard some noises hitting the boat and when we turned on the deck lights, we saw the biggest flying fish I have ever seen. They were 16-18 inches and just cruising around the boat with some occasionally taking flight. What we didn’t see were the yellows or bonito but we caught plenty of fish to eat and released a lot more. I even got a sheepshead on the spear. That’s a helluva accomplishment for an old fat guy like me

it was a great weekend with my son, brother and my best friend since grade school!

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Goood stuff, THANX for the report!

woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Brother. ....next time get the net and get as many of those "jumbo" flyers as possible. Freeze them up 1 per package for this year's BFT fishing. Thanks for that little tidbit.... for sure. Glad you got out....fresh air and fishing the island..... sound like heaven to me. Even getting the sheep on the spear....congrats. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Val1717 and Tom123

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
We didn’t catch them. Just watched them. People eat them? I know they are good bluefin bait
You don't eat them, you use them for BFT bait. Those things were going for like $30 a piece at one point last year.

woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
I can see it now.... 20 of our BD brothers all anchored up.....waiting for the "flyers" to appear at night. Nets a flyin. ...flyers a flopping..... pandemonium for sure.

In the day.... we caught many for marlin tourneys. Also caught so many for kite bait on LR trips.... it's now second nature. I remember trips where they would "suicide" leap..... into the boat. Like catching squid. Need the big fish "candy"....lol.

Reactions: briocfisher