Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
This was the first time fishing with Dan Salazar, on his 24’ Pro Line “Rum Runner”. We Left Wed. at 1pm 05-06-20 out of Dan’s slip in Newport Beach, eventually heading toward San Clemente Island.

There is no currently operating bait facility in Newport, so had to run 13 miles to Dana Point. We picked up an excellent scoop of Sardines, in Dana, which lasted more than 24 hours.

We expected the ocean to be very lumpy going to the east end of SCI; so we left early to arrive before dark. We were pleasantly surprised to be able to make 15-17 knots most of the way, arriving Pyramid Cove in less than 3 hours, at 6pm. The island cove was listed closed, but we had several other areas open in case of need for anchorage.

There were two other yachts already anchored in the cove and that most likely meant the closure was not being enforced. We spent some time drifting for Halibut, and an hour until dark looking for squid or a squid nest. Problem at the island the usual, no current, SOL. We anchored in 105 feet off the caves, hoping things changed.

We began fishing with dropper loops with frozen squid at 4:45am. There was absolutely nothing on the meter. It was a stone cold desert. We hung in there until 6:40am, planning on leaving at 6:20, but some marks showed up and prompted us to stay another 20 minutes for nothing. Oddly we never saw a bird in the area?

We made a move out to desperation reef to see what might be there and make a few drifts for Rockfish. No Tuna marks and the rock fishing was not good, flat calm and little drift, only small fish. We had a seal on us often stealing a number of our fish. One was an expected big Lingcod.

At 9am we headed to Purse Seine Rock. There was still no current, beautiful weather. Caught a few Calico Bass and moved on to White Rock, still no current the kiss of death. No birds and no signs of fish. We caught some more small Calico Bass and a few more rockfish. Called it a day at 12:30 pm and back at the harbor at 3:30 pm. Ride home was not bad, some very big swells. The water is as ugly as it gets for 50 miles. I have never seen anything like it.

Great meeting you Dan, we’ll do better next time. Thanks for the invite. Once again no picture worthy fish, very disappointed. I am in a Yellowtail slump.

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
It's been bad ugly, and uglier water for two weeks. Thank for the on the spot report.

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    You're not the only one in a YT slump (looking at myself in the mirror). At least you out on the water! Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Dan Salazar
    Boat
    Rum Runner
    This was the first time fishing with Dan Salazar, on his 24’ Pro Line “Rum Runner”. We Left Wed. at 1pm 05-06-20 out of Dan’s slip in Newport Beach, eventually heading toward San Clemente Island.

There is no currently operating bait facility in Newport, so had to run 13 miles to Dana Point. We picked up an excellent scoop of Sardines, in Dana, which lasted more than 24 hours.

We expected the ocean to be very lumpy going to the east end of SCI; so we left early to arrive before dark. We were pleasantly surprised to be able to make 15-17 knots most of the way, arriving Pyramid Cove in less than 3 hours, at 6pm. The island cove was listed closed, but we had several other areas open in case of need for anchorage.

There were two other yachts already anchored in the cove and that most likely meant the closure was not being enforced. We spent some time drifting for Halibut, and an hour until dark looking for squid or a squid nest. Problem at the island the usual, no current, SOL. We anchored in 105 feet off the caves, hoping things changed.

We began fishing with dropper loops with frozen squid at 4:45am. There was absolutely nothing on the meter. It was a stone cold desert. We hung in there until 6:40am, planning on leaving at 6:20, but some marks showed up and prompted us to stay another 20 minutes for nothing. Oddly we never saw a bird in the area?

We made a move out to desperation reef to see what might be there and make a few drifts for Rockfish. No Tuna marks and the rock fishing was not good, flat calm and little drift, only small fish. We had a seal on us often stealing a number of our fish. One was an expected big Lingcod.

At 9am we headed to Purse Seine Rock. There was still no current, beautiful weather. Caught a few Calico Bass and moved on to White Rock, still no current the kiss of death. No birds and no signs of fish. We caught some more small Calico Bass and a few more rockfish. Called it a day at 12:30 pm and back at the harbor at 3:30 pm. Ride home was not bad, some very big swells. The water is as ugly as it gets for 50 miles. I have never seen anything like it.

Great meeting you Dan, we’ll do better next time. Thanks for the invite. Once again no picture worthy fish, very disappointed. I am in a Yellowtail slump.

Hook up! Cory

Hook up! Cory

20200507_110301~2.jpg

Upvote 0