Rpt-2 Day Salsapuedes Reds, Coppers, Cali's, Sandies.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, May 24, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    It was about time, having attempted to synchronize our schedules for the last eight months and failed numerous times, we finally hooked up the last two days.

So I was looking forward to another great adventure fishing with good friend Bill Fisher on his 18’ Trophy “Toad Hall”. I left work in San Bernardino at 3:00pm, Tuesday afternoon and arrived at the border in Tijuana at 6pm, having survived horrible traffic through San Diego. I stopped at Immigration and purchased my FMM and arrived at Bill’s place 7 miles south of Rosarito at 7pm.

For those that don’t know Bill has a fantastic Trailer home just off the cliffs overlooking the ocean in Descanso Bay. There was a deep marine layer and too chilly to enjoy the outdoors, so we watched TV and called it a night at 9 pm. The alarm was set for 5am for tomorrows fishing.

Day 1-Wednesday 05-23-18 My Birthday

I was startled awake by Bill’s holler its 5:00 am, rise and shine, not normal for me as I usually wake up earlier than the alarm. I proceeded to heat up some coffee from my thermos I brought down. We headed off to Las Salinas some 20 miles south where Bill slips his boat. The wind was calm and what little there was is blowing offshore. The harbor was flat calm with the entrance being ideal for heading out.

We cleared the harbor at 6:03 am, and headed south to Salsapuedes. Water temps were at 60.3 degrees, not bad, yet not warm enough for the Tails to show. We hit a few spots known to hold Yellowtail and Yo Yo’ed Colt Snipers while nothing happened. We continued on to some deep water spots. The meter showed lots of fish, yet they had lockjaw. We caught mostly small bait fish and a few Starries and Santa Marias.

We continued south towards Salsapuedes and stopped on some decent marks in 150 feet. Although the meter didn’t show much, it was very hard bottom and fish began to bite. Using a variety of Plastics and Colt Snipers we managed to catch Reds, Coppers and assorted other Rockfish. When we moved into shallower water the Calico Bass began chew.

Bill with a nice Calico Bass:

Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-22 003 (962x1024).jpg

Here I am with one of the good sized Reds:

Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-22 002 (1024x901).jpg

The wind was decent until about 11:30 am when it started to popcorn at about ten knots. We headed north and stopped on some 200 feet spots which yielded some more Coppers and Reds and one decent sized Lingcod. By 1:30 pm the wind was over 15 knots and it was time to call it quits. We had just reached limits of Rockfish before the wind forced us home.

Back at the dock, some pictures:

Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-23 001 (1024x521).jpg

We filleted the fish we wanted to keep and dropped off quite a few whole fish at Charley’s. We will return for dinner.

Sadly there was a very deep marine layer outside our cliff view and a chilly wind. So we spent the rest of the afternoon indoors. Of course enjoying a glass or two of wine and beer perfected our moods, leaving a very tranquil setting in our hearts.

Dinner at Charley’s was spectacular and it was lights out early with another rise and shine at 5am tomorrow.

Day 2- Thursday 05-24-18

We woke up to misty drops of moisture. However the seas were calm and it was open for another day of fishing. We headed north today and started fishing in deep water. We cleared the harbor at 6:02 am. The swells were light and we made good time to our first drift.

The meter was mostly blank, but we knew that this area yielded good results despite the meter. Well guess what, it was WFO on Reds. Both of us never hit bottom before getting bit. We dropped down three times in a row and both of us caught Reds each time. We drifted out of the hard bottom and ran back up to the primary spot. It was much slower on the second drift, and it took a while to get bit, we both caught Boccaccio this time, and nothing on our second drop. We did one more drift in this area and both of us caught Santa Marias. On my second drop I caught another Red.

The area went dead and we moved on to a number of other deep water spots. It was mostly a no go, although we did add a few more decent sized Starries and Santa Marias. It was a great start to the day and only 9am. We headed into shallow water and finished out our limit in Reds and other rockfish. We spent the rest of the morning catching and releasing Sand Bass, Calico Bass and assorted other Rockfish. At times the Sand Bass went ballistic on the plastics. .All Bass released to fight another day.

Day two pictures:

Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-23 004 (835x1024).jpg Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-23 005 (1024x768).jpg Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-23 006 (1024x768).jpg Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-23 007 (1024x768).jpg Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-23 009 (1024x767).jpg Bill-Reds 05-23-18 2018-05-23 010 (1024x566).jpg

The border crossing at Otay Mesa took 1.25 hours, not fun? The traffic from San Diego to Oceanside was awful also. Nearly five hours to reach home in Diamond Bar. Not the way I wanted to end a wonderful adventure, yet I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks Bill, we had a couple of super great days of bottom fishing. I am definitely looking forward to another fishing adventure together soon. Thanks so much for the invite!

Hook up!

Cory

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Hardcor, jsl, cortezpirasea and 23 others like this.
  2. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. DOGHOUSE26

DOGHOUSE26 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Excellent Report as usual Cory, Thanks for sharing!

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. Hard at Play

Hard at Play Member

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    "Bills & Rays"
    Great report. Not sure if you know that you can get a 7 day FMM on line with no cost. Just print it out. You still have to stop at the boarder for the stamp and you are good to go.

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    The no cost one does not work for fishing, have to pay the fees!

6. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Another day, another adventure, another boat load of fish! You are living the dream! Thanks for another awesome report.

the SLIDER and Tunaslam like this.
  7. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good stuff Corey! I grew up surfing Saispuedes as a teen. Love that area. “Baja Big Sur”

fishsmith and Tunaslam like this.
  8. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Very nice Corey,those are some bueatiful reds,I like the way you guys bleed the fish,we always do that before they hit the cooler,sure makes a big difference getting those pearl white fillets,thanks for the always entertaining report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Solid job Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. Tackleho619

Tackleho619 Member

Name:
    Tackleho619
    Boat:
    Any
    Great job guys, happy birthday Cory:-)

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. WhyMe

WhyMe Talk shit... Get hit :)

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
    Happy Birthday!! Great trip and read as always. I'll take those reds and lings for table fare over anything all day long.

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. Sciaenops

Sciaenops Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    looks like some great eats, wtg Cory.

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Lots of surfers out the last two days, the waves were 7+ and breaking quick, most surfers didn't get many rides, lots of wipeouts!

Paddyman1 likes this.
  14. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Looks fun as always and Happy B-Day!

j

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Oh - and Happy Birthday!

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
    Nice going Cory. Great trip for you and Bill. Hows Bill doing these days?
    And belated Happy Birthday!

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Happy Birthday.

:ele::nopity::gaygroup::rofl::puff:

Tunaslam and mhanson59hb like this.
  18. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Just getting older like me! Otherwise great!

Tailman likes this.
  19. Matt Moyer

Matt Moyer DESTROYER

Name:
    "DESTROYER"
    Boat:
    22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
    Love it down there! Great Report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Another great day

Microbait, Hippie and Tunaslam like this.