RPT: 16 AUG 13 Went the Distance - BFly, Mushroom, and the Dumper. Flattest ocean!

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
HPIM6108.jpgHPIM6110.jpgHPIM6112.jpgHPIM6114.jpgHPIM6115.jpgHPIM6116.jpgHPIM6117.jpgHPIM6126.jpgHPIM6131.jpgHPIM6133.jpgHPIM6135.jpg

At 0520 while still driving in the dark as we are passing the E BFly at 24 kts I just happened to glance to port and see an odd dark shape in the water that turned out to be a very large kelp paddy with a bunch of birds on it. Fearing that we took it too close aboard at high speed, I wasn't sure it would still produce, but after some time it came back to life. All the YT you wanted, unfortunately we were after bigger game -- tuna... and the little YT were consuming all our bait but wouldn't take iron. We worked it for quite a while hoping that it would attract other game, but alas no joy.

Hit some more paddies on the way to the Mushroom for only one more nice homeguard YT that may be the biggest I've seen in years. I had the first crack at it and broke my 25 lb pink ande; then Morgan finished the job with 40lb. it weighed 32.2 lbs at the dock bled.

Made it all the way down to the Dumper in PERFECTLY FLAT Conditions -- it was awesome! 67-69 deg water. Chased multiple pods of porpi for nada, then while trolling on the way back up the line at 1430 got a double -- first on the zucchini broomtail long that broke the line; then the blue and white jethead set very short. Hearing that TIAGRA 50W LRS sing has got to be the best alarm clock known to true fishermen. Brought in one nice BFT that weighed 33.05 at the dock bled. No others showed.

We hit several more paddies on the long trip home for nada and didn't make back to the dock until 2005 and home by 2335. Another 23 hour trip, but a great day to be on the water. Saw water temps up to 71.6 degs and the bait was the best I've seen all year and lasted all day.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Great report and glad you scored some fish. We covered most all that and more
for 14hrs on deck Thursday on the lake for 17BF and 1 jigstrike, 2 paddys for nada. Wierd
out there now. Had big dines, best and hottest of season, damn BF didn't want to bite! LOL
Hopefully will pick up again this next week or so. Time of change.

Nice load of fish for your efforts!

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Making up for lost times! Way to go guys!

hotrod

El Capitan
Mar 23, 2003
Escondido, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
Nice going Mike...glad you got some with the flat calm seas. :)

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
That is the way it's done.. Congrats on the catching.

BTW, I'm now a boat ho. Let's go!

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Nothing better than getting fish on the boat first thing.Takes the pressure off don't it?

rhgusman

Salty Dog
Sep 9, 2012
CA
Name
Rob
Boat
A Salt Weapon
Great post! I'm hoping the bite is back on this week, headed out tomorrow night to fish Wed. Going to try some similar areas.
Thanks for the info!

salmonator

Feb 3, 2007
Nor Cal
Name
Timmy D
Boat
22ft Glasier Bay Cat
looks like a great time,you bloodied up that GB deck but good ! what a beautifully flat ocean,sometimes I wish I lived down there !

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Fantastic and a front page look to boot!! GG and great report!

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
thanks for the report! you made the front page

View attachment 467163
How cool is that! A very nice surprise to wake up to on a Monday morning. Thanks.

All, thanks for all the kind remarks and Max what happened did you give up on your Trophy?

Very cool, it's time to get out there again. v/r - Mike

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
How cool is that! A very nice surprise to wake up to on a Monday morning. Thanks.

All, thanks for all the kind remarks and Max what happened did you give up on your Trophy?

Very cool, it's time to get out there again. v/r - Mike

I love my Trophy, Mike. Went dead in the water 150 yds from the dock Saturday morning. Had Carl on the boat with me. I'm pretty confident one of the fuel pumps failed yet again. Looks like I'm going to have to contact Mercury directly..again.... for repairs. I may be down the remainder of the season.

I refuse to just bend over on a recurring issue. Love the motor, but damn, something has to give and it's not going to be me.

Did I mention I'm on the "boat ho" list? :rofl:

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
I love my Trophy, Mike. Went dead in the water 150 yds from the dock Saturday morning. Had Carl on the boat with me. I'm pretty confident one of the fuel pumps failed yet again. Looks like I'm going to have to contact Mercury directly..again.... for repairs. I may be down the remainder of the season.

I refuse to just bend over on a recurring issue. Love the motor, but damn, something has to give and it's not going to be me.

Did I mention I'm on the "boat ho" list? :rofl:
That sucks Max. Sorry to hear that. Did you get my PM. Mike

blubby07

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat
21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
Mike nice job out there what a great day on the water, we fished the 1010 last year together on some kelp paddy yfin hopefully we will have a good september congrats!

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Mike nice job out there what a great day on the water, we fished the 1010 last year together on some kelp paddy yfin hopefully we will have a good september congrats!
I remember Josh, that was a good day too as I recall. I'm hoping the conditions settle a bit before trying it again. This weekend should be a madhouse anyway.

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Nothing better than getting fish on the boat first thing.Takes the pressure off don't it?
Bill, I can't agree more. Love it when that happens esp. before first gray.

Break

Thanks Barry - good hunting. Mike