Rpt.-12-13-17 SCI Reds and Whites.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I went fishing Wednesday, 12-13-17 with Dave Robinson on his 28' Farallon, “Hooked” with crew Ron, Kevin and Bob. Our destination was the West end of San Clemente Island. We left Dave’s slip in Newport Beach at 5:15 am. We cleared the harbor by 5:45 am. Grey light was at least 30 minutes away and we slowly made our way out in the dark at about 12 knots.

The skies were clear with lots of stars, and excellent visibility. The seas were extremely calm and continued to be totally grease all the way to the Island. It turned out to be the nicest day of the year. We arrived at the West end at 7:45 and there were no private boaters or Sport Boats in sight. Dave set us up on a spot in about 240 feet, with lots of structure and good signs of fish below.

For whatever reason it was a day of Whitefish and these guys were big in this area. No matter what depth we fished there would be Whitefish biting. On our first drift we also caught some Coppers, Santa Marias, Four Spots and Starries. The ever present Salmon Grouper did not make an appearance until later in the morning.

Dave moved us out to some deeper water to hopefully find some Reds and always hopeful Lingcod. Dave and I simultaneously hooked up when hitting bottom and we both brought up four pound Reds. Everyone got bit and brought up a variety of fish. The deeper water yielded some quality fish, yet you needed to work hard to catch them.

We moved around and picked away at the Rockfish, a few Reds here and there, some quality Coppers, and lots of variety. The Salmon Grouper did show up and in several areas were an infestation. Kevin had brought along a very nice devise to send the Salmon Grouper back down. Certainly this curtailed his fishing time. However the salvage was worthwhile and the fishing was so steady that he caught plenty.

There was little current, yet this did not slow the bite, could it have been better with current, no doubt? The jackets and sweatshirts were quickly abandoned. Reaching 80 degrees in December on the water, how does it get better? The water temps were in the low sixty’s.

At high noon we were boarded by DFG, all went well and they were very friendly. I asked why they bothered to be out all this way when there were no other boats in sight. Their answer was that they needed to monitor the numerous commercial fishing operations going on at the Island. They also mentioned that several Sport Boats were fishing Desperation Reef.

Getting close to limits on the Rockfish, Dave moved us back to the better Whitefish areas. We also caught some nice Sheepshead and Dave added a Calico Bass to the fish count. We finished the day at 2pm, with a little over a dozen on the Reds, same for the Coppers, and lots of other assorted Rockfish. We kept about 30 Whitefish, while releasing probably 50.

The ride home was pleasant, and we stopped to clean fish outside the harbor. Everyone went home with loads of filets. Unfortunately we just missed the beautiful lights in the harbor, although many came on while we cleaned the boat at the slip.

Dave you made it another special fishing adventure and the weather just does not get any better. Fine job and thanks a bunch. Hope we get to do it again soon.

Sorry for no pictures, just never got around to it, and there was nothing special to shoot. All is good.

Hook up!

Cory

sueno, bricktop27, kbray001 and 7 others like this.
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Fun day Cory!!

Well, I'm very happy to hear the wind didn't get you guys! Weather makes all the difference, right?

I had the same question about the DFG being all the way out there, I'm glad you asked! I wonder if they do day trips out there or if they are sleeping overnight on the boat, etc??

Thanks for the report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    There are quite a few commercial boats.at that island, so I'm not too surprised they were there. The navy probably helps them keep an eye on the boat count.

Nice fishing as always but it seems I wasn't alone in missing the lingcod - water might be too warm for this time of the year.

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    Always enjoy your write ups but I have a question for you.

You always seem to be fishing Clemente. Why travel so far for rockfish only? I can see if there are yellows or bass on your radar. Just seems like a lot of extra fuel for something in our back yard. As a backup plan i get it but not for then target.

You are literally driving over some amazing stuff with bigger fish and much more consistent Lings and Bigger reds to get a bunch of junk. Not that I mind catching junk, just curious.

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    PS
    If you want to burn as much fiuel as you spill at the pump and catch consistent lings just shoot me a PM...

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sounds like a stellar day, Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I have to disagree. The Long Beach area CAN produce amazing bottom fishing at times. But San Clemente Island is much more consistent. You literally cannot go wrong when you go there. Just pick any rock in 200 feet and there will be lots of fish around it. The only problem is when those fish turn out to be boccaccio.

Near shore, you need to know the right rock, and have the right conditions, for it to come together. I've had days when I thought the same as you - why the hell did I ever bother to go 60 miles off shore when there's this quality of fishing next door? But I've also got days where the fish simply weren't on the bite and all you could catch were baby rock fish. Going to the off shore islands eliminate the latter possibility. I've never had a bad trip off shore.

Tunaslam and [email protected] like this.
  8. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    What about Catalina?

I never said LB...
    Don't fish that area at all...

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well, I don't fish Catalina very often because to me, crossing that channel is often the worst part of a trip, so should I cross it, I can afford to go the extra 25 miles to San Clemente Island or Santa Barbara Island. I'm sure there are areas in Catalina where there are big rock fish. But on average, the fish I've caught at Catalina are smaller.

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    I hate to even get in the middle of this, but I do gotta say Catalina gets hit pretty hard by a lot of 3/4 day cattle boats which puts more strain than what Clemente sees....

Tunaslam and [email protected] like this.
  11. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    well you may not wanna but you did get right in the middle of it...

Don't get me wrong, I love to fish cods. And I do it all the time, all year long.

It was just a question...

PS, Catalina is a BIG Island... there aren't enough 3/4 day boats to even make a dent on the rockfish spots there. Plus except for a couple of them maybe 1 or 2 months out of the year they aren't gonna burn the fuel to go fish them. If they did make a dent in 2 months we would never catch another Calico bass there for the rest of our lives.

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    That being said, run as far as you want, burn as much fuel as you want., to each their own. I have fished reds there as well. just not as my main target

I will be leaving the dock at 0800 on Saturday and will be having lunch at home.

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Excellent job!

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    No, you're right. With the days getting shorter, and fuel more expensive, it IS better to do what you do. Running to San Clemente Island guarantees success, but it's also a long trip where you often spend more time running the boat than fishing. I hate the fact that whenever I make the run, I can only get there around 9, and then have to start heading back at 1, before the wind picks up. I'd much rather fish for 8 hours, than 4.

I'm not going to make excuses. The reason I and many others don't go to Catalina is because we haven't found any spots at Catalina that are so consistent that we can go there every time and score a limit of quality fish. In case you have, my advice is simple: hold them close, and never let other people know about them.

bricktop27 and Tunaslam like this.
  15. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    Joe,

I have conversed with you a number of times on here and truly appreciate your posts and replies.

I have the luxury of growing up in a family that has been running sport boats for generations. I personally have books that were handed down from my Father, Grandfather, and a number of very skilled Sport boat Captains. I have a few that I converted to Loran C when I was in High School. I still Haven't converted some into GPS because they are mostly 100 Fathom plus spots. For example did you know there are some really amazing Blackgill spots around Platform Eureka? For some reason I have always preferred fishing cods to anything else. I still have a few 9 and 10 foot cod sticks with a 6/0 and 2 9/0's just praying that some day I will get to do it again...

Shoot me a PM and I would be willing to give you some spots and areas to check out the next time the weather is up and you can't make it to Clemente or SBI. I promise by this time next year you will have a lot more fish in your freezer and a lot more fuel in your tank!

We made a check in the spring after fishing sea bass and yellows one day at the V's on a spot my dad was telling us about. we fished about 180-220' in one drift. 6 of us had limits of reds and chili's, and had to release 4 cows all about 5-15 pounds. had a couple nice lings as well.

everyone on the boat was an ex sport boat captain, first time any of us had ever looked at the area and none of us have been back. Except for my dad that is, he had fished it in the Late 60's. No numbers, just bearings...

But I have the numbers now!!!!

16. dwr@c

[email protected] Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    28 Farallon HOOKED
    I go to SCI because I don't want to fish by anyone else or see another boat all day I burn 50 gal of diesel. No big deal at all. That island is a true paradise !! Some days the fish are big and straight reds. Some days not. All in a day of fishing !

Reel hip, Tunaslam and RyanErb like this.
  17. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hey Jeff, thanks for the story, I always enjoy those, and I appreciate your offer very much. But I'm not going to ask you for your numbers, because I really do believe that you should keep those to yourself, especially since they came down from such a distinguished history of fishing with your folks. Your story is encouragement enough for me to take another look. Besides, I like finding my own spots.

I definitely agree that there's a special pleasure to bottom fishing, that many people who only pursue top water action miss. The deeper the better, in fact, because not knowing what you'll drag up is half the fun.

Next year, provided I have time, I'm planning to do some deep drop rock fish trips in Mexico for exactly this reason, hopefully with reports. Maybe one of these days, we'll get a chance to hit those 100 fathoms spots again in California, but not holding my breath.

Tunaslam likes this.
  18. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Nice report,yeah those bigger whitefish can pull,remember catching some really big ones up north,was always surprised after a hard fight to see a whitefish,good eating too,kinda interesting cleaning with that boney area in the middle of the filet.

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Thanks for the report Cory. Sounds like some smaller bft are at desperation?

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Not sure where there is better fishing than SCI for the variety and quality of Rockfish. And by going there we always have a chance for Yellowtail and sometimes Tuna, why not? If you have spots closer that yield quality fish, then good for you, I know of no one who does. Would love to join in any event to see how you get it done and where.

longboard85 likes this.