Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Fishing with Morris and crew Gabe, we left his slip containing his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” at about 5:00am from his Townhouse in Huntington Harbor where his boat is slipped.

We exited the harbor at 5:33, and headed to Nachos, where we bought a full scoop of live Squid. The seas were like glass and a beautiful sunrise was forming.

1607641064726.png

1607641152785.png

The ride over to the east end of Catalina was as good as it gets. As we were turning the corner and heading toward the west end of San Clemente Island, there was little change, just delightful.

We arrived the west end shortly before 9am. It remained grease calm. Unfortunately Morris had no spots marked in this area. He seldom fishes the west end and not for Rockfish. He turned the controls over to me, as I used the contours on the GPS to select certain areas to target. Having fished with Dave Robinson so many times, I knew what to look for, selecting 50 fathoms, (300 feet) as a guideline. It did not take long to find some hard bottom, a nice rock and lots of fish cruising around.

Gabe began fishing with a double dropper loop, using 4/0 hooks and strips of squid. I used my favorite rig, an 8 oz. Burnt Orange Jax Jig with a shrimp fly tipped with squid 18 inches above the lure. Morris used a Squish Jig with a live squid. I hit bottom shortly before Gabe and was immediately bit. So was Gabe and Morris. I brought up a couple of nice sized Three Spots, Gabe had one Three Spot and a small Starry. Morris lost his fish on the way up.

I used the small Starry by fileting it into two Tail strips for my Jax Jig. We reset and repeated our first drop. The spot dried up and we looked around. Some good-looking spots didn’t yield fish, but others did and we scratched out limits of Rockfish before noon, with a number of nice Coppers. The few Lingcod we caught were just short, although I got hammered on one drop, with the big fish taking line and rocked me on a very tight drag on 40-pound, darn.

We did notice from time to time some huge, inverted V red arches, which certainly looked like Yellowtail. Although our attempts to Yo Yo iron failed and so did fly lined Squid. Never saw any working birds or boils. Water temp was just above 60 degrees and it was an exceptionally clean Blue.

At noon we moved into shallower water to fish for Whitefish, Sheepshead and Calico Bass. Fishing in a hard bottom area of from 150 feet down to 110, we enjoyed some real fun fishing on lighter gear. We kept some bigger Whitefish and a few Sheepshead. We released a bunch of smaller fish including Rockfish.

At 2pm we moved into the kelp beds. I found an area just outside the kelp line with good fish marks. We absolutely slammed the Calico Bass on a long drift of about ½ mile. I used my latest favorite JP lure tipped with squid, Gabe went to a large plastic with a 2 oz. lead head, Morris stuck with his Squish lure. They all worked. We made several drifts and released close to 40 Calico Bass keeping a few 15 to 18 inchers. What a blast! Called it a day at 3pm, leaving the fish biting.

1607640983174.png

The seas remained very calm and the ride home was extraordinary. Arrived to his slip at 6:30 pm.

Thanks so much Morris, what a fantastic day, glad you could join us Gabe.

I can’t wait until we do it again.

Hook up! Cory

IMG_5817.JPG

Resized_20201209_142813.jpeg

IMG_5821.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2007
Redlands, CA
Name
Doug
Boat
water wings
Beautiful sunrise photos!! I imagine that the winds from the previous days created a lot of dust in the air and contributed to the magnificent sunrise. We had a beautiful sunrise also and were inland 100 miles! Great day on the water. Glad that you got out AND caught some fish!!

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks for all details. Better be on water than confined to house working. May I ask what speed you travelled 2 and from cause 3 hours is a long time. Considering making the haul sometime next year. Thanks

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Thanks for all details. Better be on water than confined to house working. May I ask what speed you travelled 2 and from cause 3 hours is a long time. Considering making the haul sometime next year. Thanks

It is 48 miles to the west end from the harbor entrance. We averaged 18 to 20 knots. If we were in a hurry we could of pushed it to 22 knots, but burns more fuel.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
A yellow would have made the perfect report! Still gets a 9+!!! Congrats!!

Yep Gabe and I have caught many a winter Tail off the west end, mostly on the iron, yo yo style. Been awhile though, the conditions were near perfect, not much current though. Never saw any birds working. But it sure looked like Yellowtail marks on the meter from time to time!

Reactions: rick rouland
Upvote 0

91mar709

Jun 16, 2010
San Carlos, Mexico
A shout-out to Gabe for an excellent job cleaning the boat deck on the return leg...there wasn't a single squid ink stain left anywhere... much appreciated! Gabe also had some useful fishing tips and great fishing stories when he fished his Glacier Bay 22' back in the day...Thank You Gabe!

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    It is 48 miles to the west end from the harbor entrance. We averaged 18 to 20 knots. If we were in a hurry we could of pushed it to 22 knots, but burns more fuel.
    Thanks for the report Im jealous. FYI Tunaslam, Pick your day if leaving from HB as the ride home can be a bitch with afternoon wind blowing thru the channel.

Upvote 0