Rpt.-12-09-18 2 Day Castro Camp Adventure

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Tunaslam, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I got a call Tuesday 12-04-18 from old friend Robert to join his team of anglers driving down Friday night to fish Saturday and Sunday on Panga’s out of Castro’s Camp, a fishing village located some 40 miles below Ensenada. I gladly accepted. It was the perfect weekend with college football regular schedules ending and no other family demands.

Departure Friday 12-07-18.

I left my workplace in San Bernardino at 2:50 pm and arrived at Robert’s House in Chula Vista at 5:45 pm in heavy traffic and loaded my gear in his truck. I was greeted by Robert and angler Vince. We headed over to Dave’s house to pick up the rest of the crew and caravan down to Castro’s Camp. Joining us was Chris, Mike and Bucky.

Being that neither I, Dave or Bucky were smokers, we joined together for a threesome in Dave’s truck. Robert had a quick errand to run and we met them down at the duty free shop in San Yisidro right at the border. They purchased Beer, Cigarettes and Tequila for our trip down. Great prices for sure.

It was an onerous task to reach the border and cross, taking over 30 minutes, the line being at least a mile long on the freeway and the onramp took about ten signals to get through, as there was total grid lock on a Friday night.

Of course typical Mexico, we got green lights to enter and then we both got called over to secondary. Because both trucks were loaded with fishing and other gear, besides coolers, sleeping bags, and other stuff, they could not adequately search our vehicles and sent us over to the scanning area. I know they are looking for guns, etc., but what a pain in the Ass? It took 45 minutes, as they did three vehicles at a time and of course Dave’s truck was number four. So it took two passes to get through.

We finally got clearance to leave at about 8pm and the traffic through the Rio was heavy. It was a thrill to get to the toll road and find little traffic until we reached Ensenada.

It is generally 3 to 3.5 hours from the border to Castro’s Camp. We stopped in Ensenada around 10 pm to eat fantastic Tacos at the Original Taco Place. New to me, but they had excellent food and great prices, very busy for so late at night, 10 pm. We finally arrived in Castro’s Camp at 11:30 pm very exhausted.

I have not been here for at least 15 years; I had no idea how bleak the facilities were. Good thing I brought a sleeping bag and a pillow, because the bunkbeds include nothing but a mattress. There is no TP, Towels, Soap or anything else useful. It was great that Robert’s group planned for such an eventually, although they never told me to bring anything, I just guessed?

Talk about sensational planning, Dave and Robert brought down all the goodies to make life in the Barron seas enjoyable. They provided lots of food and all the paper goods necessary and coffee for the morning, yee ha! I crashed almost immediately, yet the group was wired and stayed up late.

Day 1 Saturday-12-08-18.

The forecast called for morning winds under 5 knots and it was true, and I never believe the afternoon forecast, as it is almost always wrong, yet there was virtually no wind all day? As the alarm went off at 4:45 am, I rolled over until I smelled the aroma of fresh coffee and promptly got up.

Dave brought some outstanding tortillas and grilled them and filled them with a great beef hash, yum yum! With our stomachs full we loaded our gear on to the boats and set off to go fishing at about 6:30 am. Chris, Bucky and I were in one boat and Robert, Dave and Vince fished in the other boat. Unfortunately Mike spent the entire day in the infirmary having come down with the flu bug, what crappy timing and that is not a pun, as he did plenty of crapping, as well as the up chuck stuff, bummer. He was down for the count.

On our way to the first area we were going to fish, we came across huge birds schools chasing bait pushed up by Porpoise. We threw jigs into the may lay and I hooked a decent five pound Bonito. On we went. We came across some incredible kelp paddies and also threw jigs with no biters.

We started fishing in about 330 feet of water at about 8am, some 12 miles out on a northwest heading. For us it was a slow pick on a variety of Rockfish. A Red, big Starry, (big) Santa Marias, Three Spots, Boccaccio, Coppers and good sized Bank Perch. On a few spots the Whitefish went off, and they were fun to catch, as they fight all the way up, and surprisingly were in the 3 to 4 pound range, good eating.

It is amazing how many spots they have to fish, although a long drift was not in the cards, as the stones and structure are not large in size. We picked away at the fish, nothing wide open, but a steady bite all morning. The afternoon was pretty slow and we tried some deeper water, yet it was a fish here and there.

As we worked our way towards home, we stopped in some shallower water and I picked up a few decent sized Sheepshead, while Bucky and Chris were locked on to the nice Coppers and a few Johnny Bass.

Captain Jorge called it a day and we were on the trailer at 3:15 pm. Incredible that at low tide they use a tractor with enormous wheels to push the trailer out far enough to allow entrée.

Shortly after we were trailered Robert’s group came in. Our huge cooler was about 90% filled with fish, while they claimed their cooler over flowed with fish and they had to use other storage areas for all their fish. Turns out our cooler was much larger than theirs and it was very close, although they landed some very nice sized Lingcod, while I caught the only three on our boat, all released, as they were under 22 inches. My self-imposed size limit, as Mexico has no size limit on Lings.

The filet tables were loaded with fish and it took quite a while for the cleaning to finish. I failed to take any pictures on the first day, bummer on me. Robert had the filet gang zip lock the filets with skin on. Then he placed them in the big coolers loaded with ice.

Dave and others cooked up some fantastic carne asada and chicken burritos for dinner. I had brought down some white and red wine for my liquid refreshments, while some enjoyed a beer, soda or Tequila?

It was lights out early, as all of us were really tired. I’m guessing between 9 and 10PM.

Day 2 Sunday-12-09-18

No body set an alarm, yet the coffee was brewing at around 5:30 am. It was leftovers for breakfast, plus some great smoked fish that was brought along, ahi, and BFT belly’s to die for.

The boat’s left a little earlier than Saturday and we were fully launched a little after 6am. The plan was to run north and fish shallower water. It took about an hour, and once again we found huge bird schools feeding on bait pushed up by the porpoise. No Bonito this time. None of the big paddies were holding either.

The shallow water fishing was outstanding for us until about 9:30am when it shut down.

We caught about a dozen Lingcod, some huge Johnny Bass and Coppers, with plenty of Starries, Santa Marias, Bank Perch, a few Boccaccio, and Three Spots in the mix.

Bucky caught one of the bigger Lingcod, about 7 to 8 pounds. We all caught four to six pounders. I again released three under sized Lings as did the others.

Castro 12-09-18 2018-12-09 001 (1024x675).jpg

We all caught big Coppers, here is Bucky and Chris with a few:

Castro 12-09-18 2018-12-09 003 (1024x768).jpg Castro 12-09-18 2018-12-09 004 (1024x857).jpg

Some pictures in camp near the filet tables of our Lingcod:

Castro 12-09-18 2018-12-09 005 (1024x553).jpg

Castro 12-09-18 2018-12-09 010 (1024x722).jpg

We worked the shallow area until about 11am, while Robert and their group did not have great results in the shallow areas and chose to go to deeper waters. The bite did die in the shallows at 11 and we moved out into the deeper waters too. It wasn’t great, but we were always catching a fish here and there. By three pm our cooler was over flowing and the Captain Pepe today asked if we wanted to continue to fish. We all said we were well satisfied. We docked at 3:30 pm and shortly thereafter Robert’s group came in. For them the day was not as good as the previous day. We were happy to out fish them on our second day, as they beat us on the first day.

Dinner was more carne asada and chicken burritos, still tasty and filling. Loaded the trucks and off to the border. That was miserable, 3 hours and 45 minutes crossing the border at 1 minute past midnight. After dividing up the fish, I took what I could keep in my cooler, not that big a cooler yet I went home with plenty of filets. I am cooking curry fish for family and friends on Wednesday, my favorite. Somehow without incident the Good Lord got me home to Diamond Bar at 2:30 am.

Up at 5am to go to work where I was a zombie for most of the day. All in all a fun trip and great to fish with Robert again and meet new fishing partners.

Hook up! Cory

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Fun stuff for sure we have to do it again soon

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    dID YOU TAKE SOME SQUID DOWN OR JUST USE JIGS ???

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. turn the handle

turn the handle Member

Name:
    Toni
    Boat:
    18ft. VIP.
    Carne asada and chicken burritos for dinner?
    Take your fresh caught fish to La familiar cocinar. Gloria will hook you up.

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    Great report as usual! Any chance you can post that curry fish recipe?

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    NICE
    :jig::cheers::appl::finger:

nnn.gif

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Thanks Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    Great report as usual. Looks like another great trip.

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Robert and crew brought down 20 pounds of fresh dead squid and 35-40 pounds of frozen Sardines.

10. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Certainly,

I saute in butter and olive oil the fish, about 2-3 pounds. Set aside and saute two onions, chopped, a red and green bell pepper, chopped 4 stalks of celery, chopped, 2 large Russet Potatoes cubed in 1 inch squares. I mix all together. Then I prepare the currey, I use medium hot, enough to cover the whole mixture. I stir together and simmer for 1/2 hour on low heat, then bring to a boil and serve over steamed white or brown rice.

To die for and people that don't eat fish can't tell there is fish in the dish.
    Enjoy!

turn the handle likes this.
  11. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I'm in, yet we need to wait for the Holiday season to pass so that we can avoid 4 hour border waits?

12. denis

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    You use any jigs. At all ?

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I was the only one using an 8OZ Jax Jig and shrimp fly setup. As we fished over 300 feet the first day. I did OK, they wanted the dropper loops with bait better.

Tuna Vic likes this.
  14. denis

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    Makes since that deep If you can’t reach the bottom you can’t catch !

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Captain Juan SQ

Captain Juan SQ ARLETT DEL MAR.

Name:
    Captain Juan SQ.
    Boat:
    parker 23/20.slaptail.
    thanck you cory,great story as always,fishonnn&onnn.

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Fun trip.

What are you calling a Santa Maria? That’s a chucklehead, I thought, or a copper, yet you seem to be referring to them separately.

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    I have a house down there for 40 years now and I go down on thursday morning fish friday sometimes saturdy and leave my house early sunday morning by 6 am and I go thru Tecate , border is nevet ovet 40 minutes, the roads are great , there are way better outfits to fish with than castros , better boats , 50 dollars a day cheaper , nice clean cabins with hot showers, Fernando castro dosent put in any effort to improve his guest cabins , ill be going back down after new years, if ypu think you would go i can show you guys around , i have 2 pangas in my garage along with a tractor to launch with ,

Cubeye, Tunaslam, onehottip and 2 others like this.
  18. turn the handle

turn the handle Member

Name:
    Toni
    Boat:
    18ft. VIP.
    Definitely look him up.

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Great write up! Thanks for the detailed report. A buddy of mine has been talking about heading down there. Your info and Michael's comments help tremendously.

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. mark johnsen

mark johnsen Ichthus

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Blue J
    Hey Cory!
    Sounds like a fun trip! Thanks for the great report. Recipe sounds great. How do you 'Prepare the curry'?

Tunaslam likes this.