Rpt.-11-18-18, Sun. Lake Pacifica, Decent fishing!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Is it really mid-November, this year has gone by so fast. Do I wish I was catching giant Bluefin Tuna or Yellowfin, yep? However, my work schedule and days off have not matched up well this season.

So I went fishing Sunday 11-18-18, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky” with crew Mark. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:45 am. The skies were covered with patchy clouds, the wind was nonexistent, and no fog. As we exited the harbor, the seas were grease calm. The water temps were 62.8 rising to 63.6 as we reached the Palos Verde Coastline.

We continued on to Rocky Point, and it was absolutely great conditions. The water was probably too clear blue, not the best for plastic’s fishing? However we scratched up a decent bite on mixed Bass. Our first stop was our best, as the current was on and the Bass were hungry. After landing and releasing some 8 to 10 mixed Bass, the current went slack.

We now had to pick at numerous other spots hoping for better conditions. We caught and released a Calico or Sand Bass here and there, with quite a few by-catches. We looked at stone after stone, with a fish here and there. It was agonizing and despite great readings on the meter, the fish had mostly lockjaw.

Lal has at least thirty spots in this area ad we hit them all from 60 feet to 150 feet. Despite mostly grease calm conditions, we drifted numerous different directions and at a unusual rapid speed, crazy? Staying on the spot was difficult at best, as the drift continued to change directions constantly.

Between 7am and 11am we released about 35-40 Bass with Sand Bass to 2.75 pounds, and Calico Bass to 2 pounds, none of which we consider picture worthy. We did catch between 20 to 25 Rockfish, with four Reds kept, a few Coppers Kept, a bigger Chocolate kept and a couple of Johnny Bass kept. All Bass were released.

See Pictures below:

We were all using our usual 4 inch Clear Red Flake Plastic with a 1 oz. Red Head. The weather was sensational. It was a fun day on the water. Water temps reached 64.6 degrees by high noon. We called it a day at 1pm.

Thanks Lal, we got the job done on the Ducky, although it was below our recent success rates. Hook up! Cory

Lal-11-18-18.png PP2.png

2. dudeman

dudeman Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Fish Taco
    Never heard of a chocolate, have to look that one up in case I catch one. Those fish are on assemble line to fish fry. Thanks for report.

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report Cory. Before seeing this I was just saying to myself “I haven’t seen any reports from Cory lately”. Have a great Thanksgiving

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :cheers::appl::food-smiley-014:

sexy+tao+girl+on+taco+.jpg

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. shinbob

shinbob Member

Name:
    Shin
    Boat:
    Triton 240 LTS
    Wow, do you really catch bass that deep (150')? I'm guessing that's where the reds were coming from? You guys do better on them as bycatch than I do when targeting them!

Steveo77 and Tunaslam like this.
  6. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Back at ya Craig! All the best.

7. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Your right, not many Bass that deep, mostly Sand Bass and few and far between.

shinbob likes this.
  8. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Nice job!

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Nice to see decent sized local reds,”water too clear”sounds funny but I know what you mean,even in freshwater that can be the case at times,thanks for the report always enjoyed!

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    We do use floro, 12-20 lb for bassin-especially when the water is very clear .The storms will take care of the clear water later this week.
    Cory has been too busy at work lately to fish much !!

Tunaslam likes this.