Rpt-11-12-15 2 day Salsapuedes Tale of Tails!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Enjoying another great adventure fishing with good friend Bill Fisher on his 18’ Trophy “Toad Hall”. I left work in San Bernardino at 3:20pm, Tuesday afternoon; I stopped at the border to purchase my Visa and arrived at Bill’s place south of Rosarito at around 6:40 pm Tuesday evening.

Bill and I watched a few recent episodes of Wicked Tuna, while Bill whipped up some very tasty shrimp tacos for dinner. Bill purchased the shrimp in Ensenada the previous day, and it was sensational. We had lights out at 9pm and Bill set the alarm for 5:00 am. for fishing Wednesday morning 11-11-15,.

Day 1-Wednesday 11-11-15

I woke up naturally at 4:45 am and heated up some coffee from my thermos. We headed off to Las Salinas some 20 miles south where Bill slips his boat. The wind was up and blowing offshore. The harbor was ugly and waves were breaking inside the entrance.

We carefully cleared the harbor at 6:20 am, just missing a big set that would have been dangerous to navigate? The swells were rather large, easily 5 to 6 feet with some up to 10 feet. We timidly ran south towards Salsapuedes and stopped on some decent marks. The drift was strange, uphill and out, most likely due to the offshore winds.

Nothing happened during the first hour, as we waited for high tide at 8:20 am. We picked away at a few small Rockfish. Both of us were using Colt Snipers. Bill used a 100 Gram Blue/Green, while I was using a 60 gram Green. Shortly before High tide Bill got short bit on a fast retrieve, then I got hammered on my outfit. I was using a Lexa 400 with 65 pound Spectra with a 40 pound Flouro Carbon leader.

The whale watching was outstanding, although we got nervous when a few came way too close for our comfort.

I was into a good fight when Bill also got bit. A double going, always a blast. So I had to gaff my own fish, which I did. A few minutes later I gaffed Bill’s Yellowtail.

My 17 pound Yellowtail:

[​IMG]

Bill with his twin sister Yellowtail:

[​IMG]

Bill was back in action a short time later and put number two on the boat, a little bigger model. On my next drop and wind in, I was hammered just a few cranks off the bottom. The huge Tail was not going to give in. I got it up about 10 cranks and then it headed straight to the bottom. I was hanging on for dear life as the tight drag was ripped out, down, down it went. Then pop and I reeled up six feet of frayed line. I was rocked. I always second guess myself, should I have tightened the drag, should I have free spooled it? Oh well, we will never know.

With the Colt Snipers being the hot ticket, Bill suggested I use one of his, as I only brought one, well actually two, however, the second was back in my back pack in Bill’s trailer, duh!

The fish finder displayed soft bottom and no marks, so Bill re-positioned us back on some good marks. I got bit again and I worked the bigger Tail to the boat, then a darn seal grabbed it. I worked my butt off to gain line and the seal dropped it, I wound like hell and again and again the seal grabbed it. Finally I won and Bill gaffed it.

On our next drift Bill was bit instantly and he quickly brought the Yellowtail to the boat, then he was harassed by a seal, yet I was able to gaff it before the seal stole it.

[​IMG]

A good start:

[​IMG]

Using Bill’s loaner Colt Sniper I was again slammed and no matter what I did on the 40 pound line the big Tail found it’s way to the bottom and once again I was rocked. Bill is on again and his fish is big, taking him down to the bottom, Bill manages to keep it away from the rocks and after a good fight, I gaff his biggest Yellowtail, right at 22 pounds, number 4 for Bill.

[​IMG]

A few more:

[​IMG]

Although Bill had one more Colt Sniper available, I was reluctant to use his last one. So I tied up the reliable 6x Jr Dolphin color. It took a while, but I did get bit and landed a nice Tail, number three.

[​IMG]

Bill puts us back in the area and sure enough he gets bit for his limit of Tails, number five. Another good fight and I stick the nice Tail.

[​IMG]

The wind came up with a vengeance at 9:30 am and we hightailed back to the dock.

The end:

[​IMG]

Back at the dock, some pictures:

[​IMG]

Seal bit:

[​IMG]

All the fish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spent the rest of the afternoon just taking in the beautiful ocean view and serene setting, enjoying a glass or two of wine and beer.

What a peaceful sunset from Bill’s Trailer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off to Paradise Cove for a fabulous meal, starting with their incredible preparation of Hamachi sashimi, and fish and chips provided from our fresh caught Yellowtail:

[​IMG]

The both of us were exhausted and hit the sack early, because we would be back at it at 5:00 am tomorrow morning.

Day 2- Thursday 11-12-15

This morning breeze was less severe from yesterday. The swells were also way down and made our exit from the harbor very pleasant. We headed straight out to our best Yellowtail area from yesterday. Conditions were quite different and we drifted in alternate directions. Also water temps from the high winds had dropped several degrees.

As we our leaving the harbor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our first couples of drifts in the area were unproductive. Although we both caught a few Johnny Bass, Salmon Grouper, and baby Starries. Most released. I was using my lone remaining 60 gram Colt Sniper. On our third drift I get bit and I am reeling in a small fish when my Rod bends over double, and my drag starts to scream out. Oh crap, it wasn’t long before I am rocked again. Another six foot of line frayed and another lost Colt Sniper.

Bill gets bit and lands another 17 pound Yellowtail. I use my 6x Jr and also get bit. I land my first Yellowtail of the day:

[​IMG]

We worked the area until our arms were falling off. No more Tails. However, Bill’s Colt Sniper caught many Grumpy Grouper, while my jig got no love. We fished some deeper water for nothing and then moved into the shallows also for nothing. We had about another hour before the tides forced us back to the harbor, yet the engine began to sputter and so we quickly returned to the harbor at 10:30 am. At this time there was no wind. A picture at the dock of today’s catch:

[​IMG]

Wow Bill, we had a surprisingly successful couple of fun days on the water, catching sweet Tails in November, plus other critters, despite a short window of opportunity. I can’t begin to thank you enough! I sure am looking forward to our next fishing adventure together.

Hook up!

Cory

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Snooper, ben88888, tanner.s and 22 others like this.
  2. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Nice work guys!

3. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Great report as always, I never tire reading about the exploits on "Toad Hall"

4. coacheric

coacheric Newbie

Name:
    Eric Austin
    Boat:
    19' Hydra Sport (salt)/22' Bayliner (fresh)
    Great report as always Corey, looks like a lot fun.

5. flyinverted

flyinverted Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Trojan F32
    Love reading your reports Cory!

6. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Makin it look easy again....Wow !!!

7. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    nice!!! Few days behind you:)

8. yo-mama

yo-mama Member

Name:
    ja
    Boat:
    magic
    you need a bigger bait tank:gaygroup::gaygroup::gaygroup:

9. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    VERY GOOD Cory. Nice haul in November.

10. djojola

djojola Newbie

Name:
    Donald Jojola
    Boat:
    Bayliner
    Great report and catch. So what was your partner doing different than you? Where you kept getting frayed. Did he have heavier line?

11. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    Nice Corey, was a little concerned that you didn't get any cods!

12. daer1303

daer1303 Member

Name:
    tim
    Boat:
    24' skippy flybridge "Two Shaè"
    Awesome report. That one photo you can really see the swell behind you.

13. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well I believe I was hooking bigger fish, he was using 40 pound line, I lost two to the rocks and on a locked down drag on 50 pound. Just could not stop them! When you hook a big Tail 5 to 10 cranks off the bottom they don't have far to go! We were fishing lots of structure, so there was plenty of rocks to escape with.

14. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I know not one single Lingcod or Red, darn! Ha! Ha! Good times.

15. Bongos

Bongos Member

Name:
    Khanh
    Boat:
    Scrambler Kayak
    Epic! Who need bait when you guys hammered them with Snipers and Jrs!

16. momaguro

momaguro Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Pequod
    Thanks for sharing your fishing adventure and fisherman stoke. I really enjoyed the writing and happy pictures.

17. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Super envious!!! Sweet fishing and a great place to be Corey!

18. muletrain

muletrain Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Thanks for sharing. Love reading your reports. One day I will have time to make my own reports IF I ever get a chance to go fishing

19. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    Living the dream!

20. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat: