Inshore Rpt. 10-28-21 Local 105/150 fishing!

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
The forecast called for calm seas and warm weather, with sunny skies. Let’s go fishing!

So, I went fishing with Morris on his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” leaving his slip in Huntington Harbor at about 6:25am Thursday morning 10-28-21.

No need to buy live bait, I brought along some frozen squid, and Morris brought along some frozen Mackerel. We would mostly use Plastics and Lures to target the fish.

This was going to be a leisure local area fishing experience with planned time to locate new fish spots, given all the bug traps now placed on many rocks and hard bottom areas. Captain Morris plotted a course to an area known to hold Reds on his GPS, from prior adventures. It seemed like a great day to find some tasty fish for dinner.

We were shocked to find the harbor water at 55.5 degrees and a few miles offshore all the way up to 56.5. Yikes that is chilly. BRrrrrrrrrrrrr! These kinds of temp’s don’t bold well for future local fishing, for anything other than Sculpin and Rockfish? Maybe some Bass, Whitefish and Sheepshead? Bummer!

Our route from the breakwater indicated 8 miles to destination. Sit back and take in the drop dead gorgeous weather and flat calm seas, with a decent sunrise despite no clouds. The other issue presenting us was pukey green and brown seas, with plenty of leftover storm debris. Lots of junk, palm frowns, and other trash. Don’t go swimming, yuk!

As I said earlier we planned a certain amount of time finding new spots, always a thrill when you can add a good spot to your inventory. About a mile from our destination, Morris slammed back the throttle and did a double take on excellent marks, on hard bottom, with a few small rocks for spice. Enter mark in the GPS.

I dropped down a lure which was squid tipped. Don’t know if I made it to bottom when I got hammered. Pulled up a small Calico Bass, depth was a little over 100 feet. Dropped back down and caught a decent size brown Rockfish. In the cooler he went, after bleeding. Dropped again and caught another Calico Bass. Next drop resulted in a Whitefish, too small. Then I caught a keeper Whitefish, so did Morris and I think he released a small Sand bass.

The bite stopped, and Morris instructed the GPS Spot Troller to move forward, what a fantastic addition to the tools of fishing. We had used it earlier in the year at Catalina on the East End to catch Bluefin Tuna. No anchor, it was not needed, holds you in place for hours and hours. And no anchor line to dodge around. Totally cool!

Using the control Morris moved us forward about 50-75 feet on to another promising spot, which was loaded with fish. Once again I don’t think I got to the bottom before being hammered, bringing up a Sheepshead, big enough for the frying pan, or steamer? My next drop was a 15 inch Sand Bass, another keeper. Morris brought up a good size Whitefish, another keeper. Dinner was looking good.

We literally worked our way all the way to the Red spot with the GPS Spot Troller at two knots of speed. We couldn’t believe how many marks we found along the way. Unfortunately, upon reaching the Red Spot, it was a huge rock, with nothing on it?

Reds are known for their mobility, and often leave preferred spots to find food elsewhere, as there was no bait here! We had other spots already on the GPS, and we tried many of them. We metered lots of fish, but they mostly had lockjaw. We marked a few more new spots. Hopefully they will produce another time.

We returned to our morning success area, yet it did not yield a single fish. After 9:30 am I think we caught three fish between us. I finished the day with Half dozen Calico Bass, and a Half dozen Sand Bass to two pounds, all but the two pounder released, four Whitefish, 2 released, a Rockfish and a Sheepshead. Plenty for dinner. Not sure of Morris fish count, but I know he spent a good part of the day trying to catch a big Lingcod on the Mackerel on a dropper loop.

The breeze was up a bit, and the lures were scoping out, yet the fish just didn’t want to feed. We called it at high noon.

Arrived to his slip at 1:30 pm. Burnt 9.8 gallons of fuel. Diesel at $4.875 a gallon, not good.

Thanks, Morris, it was a very pleasant day on the water, eat your hearts out Chicago, 80+ degrees on the ocean in late October, works for me.

Hook up! Cory

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT and info Cory.
    At least you and Morris got out there and went fishing! Solid work.
    Great to have some inshore news here again. TC

Reactions: Tunaslam

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Hoping to fish this weekend.
    Read like a good day.
    Morris Day Bet GIF by Soul Train

Upvote 0

Tailman

Sep 15, 2003
    Cerritos
    aol.com
    Name
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Rubber Ducky
    Mark and I were out today also. WWe got 20 bass over 2 lbs with a nice gold color calico that went 5 lbs. the rest were 12-16 in sandies along with 6 reds-2 lbs 1 johney bass and assorted other small rockfish. Beautiful day on the water , water at PV was 61 and rocky pt was 62.8-fermin was 57.2.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    As always an excellent report. Not bad of a fuel burn either. I'm thinking these fuel prices are sticking with us for a while unfortunately.
    Enjoy your dinner

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Mark and I were out today also. WWe got 20 bass over 2 lbs with a nice gold color calico that went 5 lbs. the rest were 12-16 in sandies along with 6 reds-2 lbs 1 johney bass and assorted other small rockfish. Beautiful day on the water , water at PV was 61 and rocky pt was 62.8-fermin was 57.2.
    We chatted about making that long run, but decided we wanted to blaze a few new trails, closer to port. Congrats on your fine day of fishing. I'm betting the water clarity up that way was much better to go with the higher water temp's?

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    GREAT REPORT and info Cory.
    At least you and Morris got out there and went fishing! Solid work.
    Great to have some inshore news here again. TC
    Yeah local reports few and far between, and those reported not encouraging for sure!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Skipjack81

Oct 17, 2020
    So. California
    Name
    Mike McCarthy
    Boat
    Skipjack Open 20
    Great report Cory.
    I went Surfing after work yesterday at Dana Point. Doho. Like you said a lot of crap in the water but it was warm and air temp at 84 F when i got out at 5:30 PM.
    Just beautyful glass water conditions. I met a guy who is 91 years old who paddled out at the BoneYard on an old 1963 Bear Long Board. What an inspiration.
    I felt very blessed.

Keep up the good work
    Mike

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report Cory.
    I went Surfing after work yesterday at Dana Point. Doho. Like you said a lot of crap in the water but it was warm and air temp at 84 F when i got out at 5:30 PM.
    Just beautyful glass water conditions. I met a guy who is 91 years old who paddled out at the BoneYard on an old 1963 Bear Long Board. What an inspiration.
    I felt very blessed.

Keep up the good work
    Mike
    In the 60's we surfed Killer Dana with the big rock in the break...before the breakwater and harbor. No wetsuits...came out purple in 20 mins max. LOL
    Now...back to FISHING!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Great report Cory.
    I felt very blessed.

Keep up the good work
    Mike
    Awesome you made it out to go surfing, someday you might try fishing? Ha! Ha!

• Haha
    Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

beerman1

Almost A Member
    Jul 14, 2014
    OC
    Name
    eric
    Boat
    triumph 17 CC
    Your post convinced me to change plans and go tomorrow. Gotta check out the new areator pump... Same place same time Pacific scout.

Reactions: Tunaslam
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GOOD JOB LAL

Upvote 0