Rpt.-10-28-15 Tails, Bonito and Bass!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well we thought about going Wahoo fishing, (Trolling), however, Lal has gone over a 100 miles on several recent trips offshore for nada, and he wanted to catch some fish today. So we went fishing Wednesday 10-28-15 on Lal’s 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky” along the Palos Verde Coastline. Lal’s Golfing buddy Mark joined us in Cerritos at 4:30 am. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:10 am.

We stopped at Nachos for bait, and he gave us a generous scoop of very healthy and slimy green large Sardines, with only two perishing all day.

The ride up the line was almost as nice as it gets, with barely a 1 foot ground swell. We arrived in about 45 minutes to our starting destination. We spent some time soaking baits for White Seabass and/or Yellowtail at this location where we had both caught fish recently. Unfortunately the water temps were down and it was a dirty green in color.

So we moved on to another area that was promising some 1.5 miles away. Last week this area was filthy brown, however, it had cleaned up nicely to a misty blue color. Water temps were 71.2 degrees. We all threw plastics and I was rewarded with an instant bite by a 1.5 pound Calico Bass. For the next hour we scratched out about 10 mixed Bass and a few rockfish.

Some bait fish began boiling around us and Lal spotted a bigger boil off our stern. So he tossed out a nice Sardine. Within seconds he was hammered and it was obviously the right kind. Taking some drag on his 30 pound outfit, Lal put the wood to the lively Yellowtail. I was quick to the gaff and made a good belly gaff of this 8 to 9 pound Yellowtail.

We all switched to bait fishing, and these sardines were racing away of from the boat on every cast. The Bonito were instantly thick and we all got bit. After releasing several Bonito, my next cast resulted in a much stronger bite. Oh yeah taking drag and those familiar Yellowtail head shakes. It was not the biggest of Tails, but a whole lot of fun to catch and yes they are tasty good at this size.

Lal and Mark each caught more Bonito, then Lal hooked another Tail, and shortly thereafter so did I. We kept Lal’s and I released my 6 to 7 pounder. One each of the smaller grade Tails was enough for Hamachi for all of us.

We were going through a lot of our bait for what was a wide open Bonito bite and no more Tails. So we returned to our original area where bigger fish were known to exist. A half hour later with nothing to show for our efforts we looked for other opportunities. We spotted some good bird activity and saw some boils. We soaked baits for a while and caught some more Bonito.

Then Lal gets hammered, and the big fish takes a long run. This is a good sized fish. About five minutes into the fight Lal is being worked. Then he gains significant line and the big Yellowtail was at color. Some solid death circles for a few minutes and I stick the 22 pound Yellowtail.

Ok it was my turn and I had just tossed an extremely slimy green sardine which took off like a bat out of hell, and within five seconds I felt that telltale thump, meaning a fish had inhaled it. My line was racing off the spool as I put it in gear. Oh yeah fish on and again the right kind. This Yellowtail had not yet realized it was hooked as I guided it in and then suddenly said, oh no, I want no part of that. It took several nice runs, while I finally got its head turned and brought it to color. Lal and Mark were both hooked up on Bonito, so I gaffed my own fish. It was about 17 pounds.

Had we caught the bigger fish first, we would of released the smaller Tails. We soaked baits for another hour with only a few Bonito to show for our efforts, so we headed south, stopping at a number of our favorite Bass holes. The wind started to pick up, and it was time to work our way back to the dock.

We caught and released about 30 mixed Bass and Rockfish.

Some Bass Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We caught and released some 20+ Bonito to go with our Bass and six Yellowtail, that’s a decent day for local fishing, considering it is late October.

We were on the trailer at 3pm, with little wind going home. A picture at Lal’s place of our Yellowtail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hamachi for dinner!

Thanks Lal, we missed on the targeted species of WSB, however, finding Yellowtail works, fine job!

Hook up! Cory

2. MikesOcean

MikesOcean Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Therapist
    Great report Cory!

And tails in almost November to boot!

Sure looks a hellava lot more fun then burning fuel for one stupid fish like I have been doing.

You guys made a great choice and it paid off.

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. keada714

keada714 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    None
    Way to go Cory and company! Haven't seen a report from you in awhile!

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Cory, great report as usual! I don't know how many guys are really getting into the coastal yellows, so CONGRATS on getting into some nice fish!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    Sounds like a fun trip to me!

I just spoke with Lal and got the play by play, including the bummer part. I think you guys made the right call :)

Me, I don't think I'm over it yet, because one of my other friends nailed one West of the 14 this morning :imdumb:

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    WTG guys. Cory-- Thanks for the report and pics, enjoyed it very much.

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well Steve I hope the magic is with you. Good luck!

8. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Awesome day of fishing right there!!! Thanks for the report Cory!

9. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Nice, we whacked the yellows and bonito good last Saturday as well. :hali_olutta:

j

10. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Great work boys!

11. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Another excellent report and pictures! And don't ever feel bad about keeping a nice yellowtail of that size! The bigger ones are a tougher fight, but those seven-to-ten pounders are by far the best to eat!

12. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Thanks for the report.

Any insight as to what depth/location was working for the yellows? Any specific structure/bottom features or just secret spots? :-) Looked around Rocky on Sunday and water was green and colder than it has been. :(

The sporties (including some Pedro boats) were lined up in about 100ft of water (hard bottom) inside the bay around the corner towards Redondo. Looks like they were picking away at them. We did OK on the smaller bass/bonies in 75 ft around the lobster traps right off the point. Tried slow trolling around the area for more bonies, but no signs of YT. Lots of bait in the water.

Appreciate the insight. Love fishing the PV area, as well.

Thanks

- Nick

13. princefredo

princefredo Member

Name:
    alfredo
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
    Awesome day of fishing right there.

14. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Just like you saw the sporties around the corner in 110 ft hard bottom-no structure ??? Why are they there ??

Tunaslam and Donkey Nick like this.
  15. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Nice job all around

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A

Well we have our areas to fish, sometimes they bite and sometimes they don't. Be ever alert and watch for signs of birds and other fishy activity. Water color and water temps make all the difference and then one of the most important aspects is current. No current and fishing is generally poor! Good luck.

Donkey Nick likes this.
  17. Cheech

Cheech Member

Name:
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Thanks for the great report and info above. Nice to see some local Yellowtail back on your cleaning station. You guys make it look easy...

18. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    could be the squid sacks are starting to hatch...:High_Five

in which case, the WSB should be moving over there real soon...:appl:

robert

19. Deltafishing

Deltafishing Newbie

Name: