Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I have not been fishing since returning from my nine day trip aboard the Excel, no invites? Several times Lal and I discussed a trip to Catalina, but Mother wind was generally an issue and local fishing has not been very appealing. This has to have been the worst local fishing for a whole summer in the last 20 years or more?

So we went fishing on the Rubber Ducky, with Captain Lal, Wed. 10-16-19 and crew his son Scott. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:45 am. Patchy fog was the forecast, after launching the closer we got to the harbor entrance, the thicker the fog got. There was a short lump within the harbor, and about 5 knots of wind.

We inched our way over to Nachos, with perhaps 100 feet of visibility. We picked up a dynamite scoop of feisty Sardines, perfect medium size, and mostly a rich green in color!

We crawled along the break wall, waiting for daylight and better visibility. Obviously the Ducky has no radar. Scott kept the hand held fog horn handy. By the time we reached the San Pedro exit to open water, there was enough light to see about 150 feet. That had to be the longest harbor ride I can ever remember? Nearly 45 minutes.

Lal set a course for the West End, but first headed away from the shipping lane. About a mile out we had 100 yards of visibility, and soon thereafter a ¼ mile of visibility and then sunlight the rest of the way, with ten miles of visibility. The swells began to increase in both size and shrink in distance between them as we closed in on the island. WE had been cruising at 17-18 knots and were forced to reduce speed to fewer than 12 knots the last five miles. That west end can sure get gnarly.

Out of the harbor, water temps were 63.5 gradually increasing to 66.3 at the west end. As we rounded the west end, there were three light boats anchored up. Only one other private boater was in the area, numerous others arrived later. We were hoping for better conditions, the wind had not yet picked up, but it remained a washing machine.

At 9:30 the Native Sun rounded the corner and threw several scoops of bait, then anchored a 100 yards up swell from us. We continued to slow troll sardines through the area. The meter showed fish, but no Tails. We scratched out a four Calico Bass, all under 14 inches. Lal caught a couple of Whitefish on his Colt Sniper; I donated my Sniper to the Rock Gods.

All of a sudden the winds kicked up to 12+ knots. A short squall then died back down. Still no signs of any Tails in the area. Never saw any kind of fish caught on the Native Sun. At 10 am the winds changed direction 180 degrees and increased to 20 knots, time to get out of dodge. The Native Sun followed us to the Isthmus. Once we made it back to the front side of the island, it calmed right down and it was smooth sailing.

By noon we had caught only a few more Calico Bass and a under sized Barracuda. I think the Native Sun caught one Yellowtail, and then moved on up the island, out to the Rock. As they were leaving, the Yellowtail started to boil in a number of places and these were huge boils. Lal tried to raise them on the radio, to no avail, I guess they ignore private boaters? WE have a number of times put Sport Boats on a school of fish, if they answer?

Slow trolling Lal threw some bait, we had plenty and almost instantly I was inhaled. I had dropped down to 25, a big mistake, bringing a knife to a gun fight. The enormous Yellowtail took at least a 150 yards of line, emptying over half my spool on my Daiwa Saltiga 20. Then it pulled a Kamikaze and headed straight back to the boat. The fish had headed out to deep water and figured out it’s mistake, coming back into shallower water loaded with structure. I caught up to it and then the line again screamed out another 100-150 yards, before feeling the line hit something, we think the buoy out there on the reef? Ping! What a beast. Gad they can pull hard, and I checked my drag and I could not of set it any tighter for 25.

This school of Yellowtail was not very large, as we saw a boil here and there, all big boils. The Native Sun returned and the chum got the fish excited. Then Lal got slammed on the slow troll. He stuck 30 pound, and rightly so. I went back to 30 after my experience. At first the big fish didn’t know it was hooked, then it decided it was time to boogie! Taking a long run, Lal held on for dear life. Like me, he felt the fish move along the structure, but he gained line on it, and got it off the bottom. There was another ten minute fight, where they played tug of war. The Tail took line again and again. Finally there was deep color, and Lal huffed and puffed and slowly worked it to the surface, as I stuck the big boy right behind the head.

On the Boga it weighed 28 pounds on a rocking boat. Later at the dock, bled out it weighed close to 30 by the DFG assistant.

Lal-Catalina-10-16-19 2019-10-16 002 (1024x768).jpg

We stayed until 1:50 pm when the Native Sun pulled anchor, and the wind was building. It was a snotty, wet ride home. The forecast of 9-12 knots was again Bullshit, easily 18-20, causing a wind spray that kept us damp all the way home. On the trailer at 3:30 pm after a really unpleasant ride home. It is rare that the Ducky gets wet. The direction of wind and swell was against us. Our saving grace was the swells had come down and allowed us to make 17-18 knots most of the way home. It was like riding a bucking bronco for several hours.

Well Lal, we captured the targeted species at least. All Bass and other fish were released.

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Great job Lal! Also a 45 minute trip in the harbor is mandatory when it's pea-soup thick FOG, slow and steady even with a radar. Another one bites the dust . . .

Added
WTF was I thinking, thank you Cory for the report!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Good on you and Lal, Cory! Despite the gnarly conditions, you guys had your fun! That west end of Cat is the constant recipient of Pt Conception breezes. It also brings good current to fish in.
Love them yellows! Lal got a pig!

Upvote 0

DANG Nguyen

Almost A Member
  • Aug 1, 2017
    Garden Grove
    Name
    DAN NGUYEN
    Boat
    none
    I think I saw you guys yesterday. I was on the Native Sun. Fishing was suck , we did got 1 yellow tail couple bass , a barracuda and 1 sheep head for 32 people. The Pursuit report good fishing on the same day with 17 tails and white fish. I wonder where did they go?

Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
    Oct 31, 2011
    Pasadena
    Name
    Shin
    Boat
    Triton 240 LTS
    I think I saw you guys yesterday. I was on the Native Sun. Fishing was suck , we did got 1 yellow tail couple bass , a barracuda and 1 sheep head for 32 people.

Their fish count also shows 5 yellowtail were released? Why, were they tiny? Even so, I would have assumed they would have been kept.

Upvote 0

DANG Nguyen

Almost A Member
  • Aug 1, 2017
    Garden Grove
    Name
    DAN NGUYEN
    Boat
    none
    I'm pretty sure that only 1 yellowtail was landed. Today the Pursuit report 54 yellows and the Native Sun only 2 . I wonder why they don't share location even they are in the same fleet ?

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure that only 1 yellowtail was landed. Today the Pursuit report 54 yellows and the Native Sun only 2 . I wonder why they don't share location even they are in the same fleet ?

Pursuit must of been fishing the east end or at least east of the of where we were because they did not to go the back side or anyway near where we were? Was shocked not to see them?

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Their fish count also shows 5 yellowtail were released? Why, were they tiny? Even so, I would have assumed they would have been kept.

There were no small Tails in that area, only big boys, they had to be unintended releases, like mine?

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    I have not been fishing since returning from my nine day trip aboard the Excel, no invites? Several times Lal and I discussed a trip to Catalina, but Mother wind was generally an issue and local fishing has not been very appealing. This has to have been the worst local fishing for a whole summer in the last 20 years or more?

I agree it has been a real lousy year of inshore fishing! Yet the Ducky team keep reporting fish catches that most of us would dream for! Thanks for your great reports!

So we went fishing on the Rubber Ducky, with Captain Lal, Wed. 10-16-19 and crew his son Scott. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:45 am. Patchy fog was the forecast, after launching the closer we got to the harbor entrance, the thicker the fog got. There was a short lump within the harbor, and about 5 knots of wind.

We inched our way over to Nachos, with perhaps 100 feet of visibility. We picked up a dynamite scoop of feisty Sardines, perfect medium size, and mostly a rich green in color!

We crawled along the break wall, waiting for daylight and better visibility. Obviously the Ducky has no radar. Scott kept the hand held fog horn handy. By the time we reached the San Pedro exit to open water, there was enough light to see about 150 feet. That had to be the longest harbor ride I can ever remember? Nearly 45 minutes.

Lal set a course for the West End, but first headed away from the shipping lane. About a mile out we had 100 yards of visibility, and soon thereafter a ¼ mile of visibility and then sunlight the rest of the way, with ten miles of visibility. The swells began to increase in both size and shrink in distance between them as we closed in on the island. WE had been cruising at 17-18 knots and were forced to reduce speed to fewer than 12 knots the last five miles. That west end can sure get gnarly.

Out of the harbor, water temps were 63.5 gradually increasing to 66.3 at the west end. As we rounded the west end, there were three light boats anchored up. Only one other private boater was in the area, numerous others arrived later. We were hoping for better conditions, the wind had not yet picked up, but it remained a washing machine.

At 9:30 the Native Sun rounded the corner and threw several scoops of bait, then anchored a 100 yards up swell from us. We continued to slow troll sardines through the area. The meter showed fish, but no Tails. We scratched out a four Calico Bass, all under 14 inches. Lal caught a couple of Whitefish on his Colt Sniper; I donated my Sniper to the Rock Gods.

All of a sudden the winds kicked up to 12+ knots. A short squall then died back down. Still no signs of any Tails in the area. Never saw any kind of fish caught on the Native Sun. At 10 am the winds changed direction 180 degrees and increased to 20 knots, time to get out of dodge. The Native Sun followed us to the Isthmus. Once we made it back to the front side of the island, it calmed right down and it was smooth sailing.

By noon we had caught only a few more Calico Bass and a under sized Barracuda. I think the Native Sun caught one Yellowtail, and then moved on up the island, out to the Rock. As they were leaving, the Yellowtail started to boil in a number of places and these were huge boils. Lal tried to raise them on the radio, to no avail, I guess they ignore private boaters? WE have a number of times put Sport Boats on a school of fish, if they answer?

Slow trolling Lal threw some bait, we had plenty and almost instantly I was inhaled. I had dropped down to 25, a big mistake, bringing a knife to a gun fight. The enormous Yellowtail took at least a 150 yards of line, emptying over half my spool on my Daiwa Saltiga 20. Then it pulled a Kamikaze and headed straight back to the boat. The fish had headed out to deep water and figured out it’s mistake, coming back into shallower water loaded with structure. I caught up to it and then the line again screamed out another 100-150 yards, before feeling the line hit something, we think the buoy out there on the reef? Ping! What a beast. Gad they can pull hard, and I checked my drag and I could not of set it any tighter for 25.

This school of Yellowtail was not very large, as we saw a boil here and there, all big boils. The Native Sun returned and the chum got the fish excited. Then Lal got slammed on the slow troll. He stuck 30 pound, and rightly so. I went back to 30 after my experience. At first the big fish didn’t know it was hooked, then it decided it was time to boogie! Taking a long run, Lal held on for dear life. Like me, he felt the fish move along the structure, but he gained line on it, and got it off the bottom. There was another ten minute fight, where they played tug of war. The Tail took line again and again. Finally there was deep color, and Lal huffed and puffed and slowly worked it to the surface, as I stuck the big boy right behind the head.

On the Boga it weighed 28 pounds on a rocking boat. Later at the dock, bled out it weighed close to 30 by the DFG assistant.

View attachment 1079941

We stayed until 1:50 pm when the Native Sun pulled anchor, and the wind was building. It was a snotty, wet ride home. The forecast of 9-12 knots was again Bullshit, easily 18-20, causing a wind spray that kept us damp all the way home. On the trailer at 3:30 pm after a really unpleasant ride home. It is rare that the Ducky gets wet. The direction of wind and swell was against us. Our saving grace was the swells had come down and allowed us to make 17-18 knots most of the way home. It was like riding a bucking bronco for several hours.

Well Lal, we captured the targeted species at least. All Bass and other fish were released.

Hook up! Cory

Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
    Dec 15, 2005
    Garden Grove Ca.
    Name
    Larry Crownover
    Boat
    20 ft. Invader LC
    Excellent report, thank you. I also fished wed. Plan a, west end, plan b, rockfish at the mid channel rigs. The fog decided for us. Plan b. We never got more than 100 yards visibility until close to 10 am.

Good call on exiting the Pedro opening. Sounds like the fog lifted further west for you guys. By the time we got limits, 10:45, we got socked in again.
    It's really a drag having a tank full of candy and having to fish rock fish especially when the Pursuit got 74 yellows the day before. I heard they had squid that day.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Excellent report, thank you. I also fished wed. Plan a, west end, plan b, rockfish at the mid channel rigs. The fog decided for us. Plan b. We never got more than 100 yards visibility until close to 10 am.

Good call on exiting the Pedro opening. Sounds like the fog lifted further west for you guys. By the time we got limits, 10:45, we got socked in again.
    It's really a drag having a tank full of candy and having to fish rock fish especially when the Pursuit got 74 yellows the day before. I heard they had squid that day.

Still don't know where they fished?

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Hard to say where they got them. With the fog they could of beat you over there. They leave at 6. But if they didn't and you didn't see them round the corner gotta be east of the Isthmus.

We were at the west end at 8:30, no way the Pursuit beats us there at that time? Earliest they usually arrive is after 9am. I'm sure they were well east of the Isthmus or perhaps all the way to the east end?

Reactions: LEC
    Upvote 0