Rpt.-10-13-16 SCI Bluefin Tuna or Bust!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tunaslam, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Avoided another Tuna Bust! A couple of 45 to 50 pound Bluefin Tuna:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After posting on the trip planning board at Bloody Decks Tuesday evening, I was thrilled to get invited by Captain Keith to go Tuna fishing on Thursday, leaving Wednesday evening on his 32’ Blackfin, “Sweet V”. I drove down from my house in Diamond Bar, Wednesday evening at 6:15 pm, 10-13-16 arriving Seaforth at 8:15 9pm, near where Keith slips his boat just behind the Hyatt Hotel. Todd joined us as crew.

We shoved off at 9pm and purchased 1.5 scoops of medium sized mostly healthy Sardines, and set a course for San Clemente Island. Winds were blowing a little less than 10 knots, with some healthy 4 to 5 foot swells making for a very uncomfortable uphill ride to the Island.

We arrived to Pyramid Cove at 1:30 am and proceeded to put out the squid lights and jig for squid. We started in 250 feet with info that was where they were hanging out, unfortunately with nearly a full moon, bright star lit skies, and the squid were reluctant to float. We tried and tried moving into 130 feet where we found a bit more active squid, yet they remained skittish and as soon as it appeared they would cooperate the seals were on us, chasing them off.

With a lot of effort we scratched up a grand total of three live squid for four hours of effort. This was most unfortunate as all three squid got bit, accounting for our only two fish caught.

Keith put us on some numbers a friend had given me from successful fishing on Monday. They were close to other numbers Keith had gotten from Fish Dope. We found good meter marks and a few dipping birds one mile from my numbers. Off in the distance we observed the Oceanside 95 making a drift.

About ten minutes into our drift, Todd got bit on one of the three squid in the bait tank. He was using 40 pound test line. It was a short experience, as the big fish ripped line off his reel and apparently bit through the Flouro leader. Bummer!

Keith immediately began looking for another squid. It was not easy, however, he finally found number two. After a few more long soaks we made a move further west, as did the Oceanside 95. We metered more Bluefin Tuna and observed a few boils, but not many. The meter marks were primarily in the 150 to 200 foot depth.

I dropped a Mackerel down to that depth with an 8 oz. torpedo sinker tied on with a rubber band. All of us at one time or another dropped down Flat Fall jigs to no avail.

We continued to work our way towards the west end of the island reaching the Dunes, just short of the runway. While looking around the Oceanside 95 moved into the area and started brailing baits and we heard hollers of hookup and fresh one!

We marked some big schools of fish about 3 to 4 hundred yards away and began chumming both live and chunked bait. Keith had put his live squid back in the bait tank and it was still alive and I netted it. He told me to go ahead use it, so I put it on my 50 pound Trinidad 50 outfit, with 60 pound Flouro leader and a ½ oz. sliding sinker Carolina rigged. I don’t like a sliding sinker going all the way to the hook.

About a minute later I was bit, and fish on! The beast put up a good fight, but was over matched with my gear. It took a few 30 to 50 yard runs before entering the death spiral. I worked the big tuna into gaff range, but he was not ready to yield and made a couple more deep dives when getting close to the boat. Finally I put him into gaff position and Keith made a great head shot!

No scale, but we estimated 50 pounds:

[​IMG]

Not a minute after I had hooked my Tuna, Todd got bit on a sardine on 25 pound line. He waved goodbye to it almost immediately. That was it on sardine bites. After I bled my fish and got it placed in the kill bag I set out to catch the third squid in the tank. It took quite an effort, but I succeeded and handed the bait to Captain Keith to return the favor.

Maybe a minute later Keith was bit on his 40 pound outfit, also with sliding sinker. The big Tuna put up quite a fight and was not as frightened of the boat as my fish and when Keith reeled him into gaff range I also made a quick head shot. Number two on board, perhaps a few pounds lighter than 50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was now 1pm.We had drifted over a mile and set back up near our first hookup at the west end. With lots of bait still in the bait tank, I did some serious live chumming and chunk bait chumming. We began to see some enormous boils. I dropped down to 30 pound line and both Todd and Keith dropped down to 20 pound line. Still we could not get bit.

It was getting late and when Keith looked at the GPS, he said we were 70+ miles from Port and so we headed to the barn at 3:15pm. Keith announced that we were in for a five hour ride home at this distance. At least it was downhill. Pictures of the Sweet V:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride back was not bad at 15 to 17 knots arriving in Mission bay at 8:15 pm. The 3 hour nap sure helped. I cleaned the Tuna, splitting it up three ways, as Todd and Keith washed down the boat. I joined them in the boat cleaning process and we finished at 9:30 pm. I was not looking forward to my two hour drive home to Diamond Bar arriving at 11:25 pm! At least there was no rush hour traffic Exhausted I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

So much fun to meet you Keith and Todd. Thanks so much for the invite Keith. I can’t wait for another adventure together.

Hook up! Cory

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. stacydl@sce.com

[email protected] Tight Lines

Name:
    darryl
    Boat:
    Cucamonga
    great report. Thanks

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Way to dump the skunk Cory! Saw you two in pic on his other post last night!
    Noted same. LOL Good job! THEY BITE!!! LOL

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Pgnracr and Tunaslam like this.
  4. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Thank you for the report

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Tunahead likes this.
  5. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    :appl::appl::appl:WTG, great report, looking forward to the pics!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star
    Pics?

7. Sciaenops

Sciaenops Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    congrats on getting yours, Cory. You more than deserved it.

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    Read...

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star
    Not gonna...

10. rick Jackson

rick Jackson "Carpe diem"

Name:
    Fresh1
    Boat:
    SeaQuest
    Glad to see that SC hat doing you favors, again!
    Thanks for the report......:cheers:

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. Mikefromlb

Mikefromlb Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    "Cali Dreamin" 33' Tiara Open
    Super trip and report Corey!

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    I heard of some guys catching a few fish using fresh frozen squid earlier in the year. Might be worth a shot.

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Fantastic!!! Paid ur dues.

Congratulations Cory.

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. stickandstay

stickandstay Member

Name:
    JW
    Boat:
    no
    Another great report. Thanks Corey

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Big time effort gents!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. fish&snow

fish&snow lurker

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Reel Freedom
    Way to go!!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. MDC

MDC Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    For sure! I was fishing on the O95 on Sunday at SCI and some guy brought some frozen squid in box. He offered to let me use some but I was using the live stuff we had. Well, moments later he was bit and brought a nice bluefin to the boat. A while later, he hooked another. Well worth a shot.

Abusaade and Tunaslam like this.
  18. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I thought about bringing some, wish I had?

19. Bradyxxx

Bradyxxx Member

Name:
    Braden
    Boat:
    Catchalot
    Yeah!!! Nice going Cory!!!
    Glad you got some!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Very happy Sheril and you came over last night for some BFT. I fixed some toro and a bowl of POKE and it was wonderful !!! Thanks a million !!

Tunaslam likes this.