Rpt.-1.5 day Prowler fishing 07-11-18

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tunaslam, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    1.5 Day fishing trip on the Prowler-ending Thursday 07-12-18. I was invited to join a charter trip by charter master Adam about a month ago and accepted, anxious to meet the new owner Captain Andrew.

The Prowler is one of my all-time favorite fishing Sport Boat. You may not know that it is under new ownership, as the previous owner Buzz, sold it late last year. I had many incredible fishing adventures over 30+ years on the Prowler.

My handle “Tunaslam” was acquired in 1995 on a one day trip on the Prowler, captained that day by second ticket Brad Phillips, as Buzz was taking a very well earned day off during a busy summer season in August.

I enjoyed the most spectacular day of my life fishing that day, catching limits of Yellowfin Tuna, Several Albacore, the only Bluefin Tuna, and the most difficult of all the tuna species, a 42 pound Bigeye Tuna caught that day, which equals the Grand slam of tuna caught on a one day trip, very rare? I also caught a Skipjack, Yellowtail and Dorado. It just does not get any better than that.

We left the dock in Mission Bay at 9pm Tuesday evening, loaded up with firecracker 4-5 inch Sardines, with a few of the larger size Sardines. We arrived at our destination at the 43 fathom spot at 4am. The Armada was already there.

Many of us started off using Flat Fall lures, with a few using bait and other lures. There were few signs of Bluefin and no bites for anyone when Captain Andrew decided at 6:30 am to pull anchor and go looking. This trip was booked as a big tuna trip and we spent another four hours searching for Bluefin Tuna to no avail. We saw a few puddlers and nothing promising.

The previous day the ¾ day boat San Diego caught Bluefin, Yellowfin and Yellowtail within 35 miles of Mission Bay. We headed into that zone arriving at about 1pm. By 3pm we still did not have single fish on board when everywhere you looked there were crashing tuna. We must have witnessed thousands and thousands of tuna crashing everywhere today in this area.

These Tuna would not touch bait with a hook in it. Finally a Yellowfin Tuna was hooked on a Colt Sniper and landed. We chased these crashing Tuna until dark, with a few caught on the troll and the rest of the ten total caught on the Sniper or a Flat Fall. Not a single bait fish was caught, other than a Dorado by the Lady angler Kelly, who also hooked a Marlin on 25 pound test, which broke off and she lost a big Bluefin Tuna earlier in the day on a Flat Fall, also on 25 pound test, no chance?

I threw bait over a hundred times and a Colt Sniper over a hundred times for the embarrassing giant skunk for the day. I mostly fished bait on 20 pound with Flouro, and a #2 hook. One other angler went down to 15 pound test and a #6 hook and could not get bit.

It was a crazy day and extremely frustrating. So many Tuna seen and so few caught. The Captain and crew worked hard, but they can’t make the fish bite! Food was excellent, with Ribeye steaks for dinner and cheesecake for desert. The boat is in excellent condition and I am sure Captain Andrew will put the wood to the tuna this season. It was just an off day for us and my bad timing/luck.

More frustrating was the fact that the ¾ day San Diego again caught more fish, although with many more anglers.

I’ll keep trying and thanks Adam for the invite, it was a great group to fish with.

Hook up! Cory

2. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Sounds like my 1.5 day on the Condor - we got 2 fish (and several lost) in the morning dark and nothing after that. We got a few hookups on light line later in the day that went bye-bye quickly. I was next to a guy that had a Tranx 500 that was spooled in about 8 seconds - another guy had a Lexa 400... We chummed HUGE amounts of sardines and the BFT would respond big time just out of range. We even dangled macs in the zone below the kite...nope..

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. jayyyy

jayyyy Member

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA
    Days like this make the good catching trips seem even sweeter, thanks for the great report you'll get'em next time.

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Thanks for the report Cory. I can only imagine what kind of chaos was going on back in that day in ‘95 you described. Sounds like y’all just paid some dues this trip- beats workin!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. AndyJ

AndyJ Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat:
    18.5 Cobalt
    Dues. Good try.

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. 1 Ola Mas

1 Ola Mas Well-Known "Member"

Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
    Name:
    WoodEye
    Boat:
    15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
    Work sucks...

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Good or bad, I always enjoy your posts Cory. I dig your positive attitude!

negitoro, Tunaslam and popx5 like this.
  8. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Sorry for the rough trip. I was just thinking about how many of those I have had over the years. It certainly helps those other trips that are on fire so much better.

negitoro and Tunaslam like this.
  9. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Next one Cory. You'll be the hot stick ...
    ..again. .

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. i snag for food

i snag for food Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Vic
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Bay 195
    Thanks for the report. I saw u guys all with long faces around 8am lol

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. wahoo_92606

wahoo_92606 Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    18 Panga
    Enjoy reading your detailed report. Better luck next time.

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I feel your pain!

13. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Agree, the good ones need to be cherished for sure!

lifted135 and negitoro like this.
  14. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yep!

15. tommyc

tommyc Hacker

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Beatem N' Eatem
    Thanks for sharing the details Corey. I get the feeling that these tuna have spent too many days, (years?), in close proximity to San Diego and that when they hear the screws they know to avoid eating within tackle range. I sure hope that is not the case as I get ready to take a couple of trips down there. Next time for you for sure....

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Sheesh ,
    For as long as I been reading your fishing adventures ,I cant recall a skunk report .. Dues paid for the year , you'll wack them next time .Thanks for the report Cory.

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Dull hooks Corey
    Thanks for the report

Tunaslam likes this.
  18. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    You got skunked? IMPOSSIBLE. I call BS without pics of your empty burlap sack. Time to go to the video review, Cotton.

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Thanks for the report. I love the Prowler and spent many trips on her going back to the late 80's... Buzz was a great skipper and owner, and Bradley was a very capable relief skipper.

I was on her when she broke a rib heading out on New Year's Eve (1990 IIRC).

I look forward to fishing on her under her new ownership - glad to know she's in good hands.

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. negitoro

negitoro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    bruce
    Boat:
    ISLANDER, NEW LO-AN
    Fight on Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.