Rpt. 09-26-18 O-95 1.5 Day, YFT Limits, A DoDo, JP!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tunaslam, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    On Tuesday morning I discussed with good friend Morris whether we should tow the Jugular, a 26’ Skipjack down to San Diego, where they have been scoring big on the Yellowfin Tuna. The tow vehicle is very old, and the boat very heavy. The fact that the weather forecast was marginal entered into the equation. Morris suggested a 1.5 day trip and I checked the various boats that were leaving Tuesday. All were sold out, except the Oceanside 95. So I booked us both for fishing Wednesday 09-26-18 and leaving Tuesday night at 8 pm out of Oceanside.

The last two 1.5 day trips I fished on I got skunked, as did the whole boat on one and on the other, a few baby Yellowfin Tuna were landed, both targeted the big Bluefin Tuna. Several trips offshore and to the islands on private boats resulted in little results beyond Bass and Rockfish. Many more scheduled trips were cancelled due to weather. For me this has been the slowest year that I can remember? Perhaps the third time is a charm?

Morris met me I my home in Diamond Bar at 5:30 pm and we fought the heavy traffic down south arriving at 7:10 pm. There was a small line at the ticket office now located in a little shack on Harbor Drive. It was to be a light load of 16 anglers, yee ha! Most of which were experienced and some I had fished with before like Eric.

We left the dock in at 8:15 pm Tuesday evening, loaded up with an excellent supply of normal sized Sardines. Captain Rick called everyone into the galley to explain the game plan of traveling down below the border some 40 miles, about 70 miles from Oceanside.

He expected our arrival to be in the dark and would wake us if they managed to stop on a meter mark. The boat slowed down between 4:30 and 5am while searching for promising results. I got up a little before 5 and hustled over to the coffee pot for some wake up juice, very good.

We setup on a bait ball that proceeded to crash all around us. There were a few predator marks underneath them, but nothing materialized. At grey light we began trolling southwest.

I ordered a breakfast burrito, yum yum while sipping on coffee cup number two. The wind was up at about 9-10 knots with a 2 foot chop. No whitecaps. The forecast in this area claimed 9-12 in the morning and 10-15 in the afternoon. We never saw 15, only a few whitecaps and the wind remained under 10 all afternoon.

It was an extremely slow morning, passing a few kelp paddies for nothing, while also circling on some meter marks, throwing chum with zero results. At about 9am we pulled up on an enormous paddy. I tossed out a lively green sardine on my 25 pound outfit with Flouro leader. The sardine took off like a bat out of hell and was instantly inhaled. I wound down tight with my #1 circle hook. Fresh one! Then the fish took off and did the tail walk as the 8-10 pound Dorado took to the air. It jumped about six times and didn’t want to give up, but deckhand Cory made a sensational gaff. Skunk off. The first fish landed on the boat. A 2 pound Yellowtail was also added to the count.

Another hour passed and we came up on another paddy that had a few private boaters drifting off it and both were hooked up. Captain Rick approached the paddy cautiously and brailed some bait. Let em go, there are good marks from 20 to 60 feet. At first a few skipjack were hooked and landed, and then all hell broke loose. It was very bait in the water getting bit for 15-20 minutes, and then turned into a slow pick.

The Yellowfin were mostly on the small side, about 7-8 pounds with a few at 10. I landed my first two quickly and then went into a funk. My next hookup I was bit off, then I proceeded to unbutton three in a row. The #1 hook not getting a good hookset? My 25 pound outfit was trashed and I went down to my 20 pound outfit. I broke the trend and landed two more immediately.

The bite died and Captain Rick moved us back up to the kelp paddy. There were still marks at 60 to 100 feet. They came back up and we picked away at them. I added number 5, the last one a little bigger at 12 pounds. Hook ups were few and far between, so I grabbed my Colt Sniper and hoped for some deeper fish. Not to be as I casted some ten times for nothing.

We moved back to the paddy for the third time, and who said the third time is the charm? For some reason the fish grew in size considerably as some 20 and 30 pounders were landed. I had re-rigged my 25 pound outfit and tossed out a sardine which was boiled on immediately. Game on and hang on for dear life as the bigger Yellowfin Tuna took a 100 yard run. I gained a little and the big fish took another 50 yards. Oh boy it a beast? After a few more short runs it finally kamikaze towards the boat, allowing me to wind as fast as I could to gain much needed line. The fish sounded and played tug of war for five minutes before tiring and again deckhand Cory stuck him in the gills. It looked to be 35 pounds.

O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 001 (1024x768).jpg

O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 002 (1024x573).jpg

Morris with his big Yellowfin Tuna:

O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 004 (1024x712).jpg

Guys using lighter line were getting worked and I grabbed my 30 pound outfit and was bit instantly. A good run, but far shorter and then a few more short runs before sounding. I landed a 25 pounder this time. While bringing the fish aboard the line was in a small tangle. Before we could unhook the fish, the angler tangled got bit and it cut my line above the Flouro Carbon leader.

So I grabbed my 40 pound outfit. It got bit several times and I wound in a crushed bait, then the butt hooked baits were being ripped off the hook. The bite slowed and no more bites on 40. So I went back to 25. Another beast sucked in the sardine and it took out 200 yards of line, yikes! Unfortunately a private boater got too close to the stern where my fish was holding on the surface and ran over the line. Darn, how big was this one? We’ll never know.

By 2 pm we reached limits of Yellowfin, with plenty of Skipjack. Ironically I never hooked a Skipjack, nor did I want one.

The Slump is over!

The Slump is over!

The Slump is over!

My big fish took jackpot, barely beating out another 30+ pounder. Morris and I both caught our limits plus and the crew distributed the extra fish to those less fortunate.

After spending half an hour tagging the fish and putting them in the hole and washing down the boat, The Captain called everyone into the galley for game planning. Having another possible 4+ hours of fishing time left, what were we to do? Fishing in US waters was out, as for some reason two anglers boarding a boat out of Oceanside did not have California licenses? So that meant we needed to stay in Mexican waters, no chance to target Bluefin or the warmer paddies north of the border for Dorado.

The choice was made to work northwest to the corner to expected warmer water targeting Dorado on paddies. We continued to troll and picked off Skipjack every mile or two. We were currently 40 miles from the corner, so I’m guessing we were fishing somewhere near the Hidden bank?

Once reaching the border at 6:30 pm we punched it for home with an ETA of 10:30 pm. All the big paddies we stopped on were empty and the Captain said the water was cold at 67 degrees and off color.

The crew was incredible, the food very good and the stateroom bunks very comfortable.

Hook up! Cory

O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 003 (853x1024).jpg O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 005 (1005x1024).jpg O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 006 (758x1024).jpg O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 007 (1024x768).jpg O-95 1.5 day 09-26-18 2018-09-26 008 (768x1024).jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. jdmanowar

jdmanowar Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    none yet
    When I grow up I want to fish like you...during the week:jig:

3. Sciaenops

Sciaenops Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    just a matter of time, Cory. wtg on the limits of yft.

4. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Great report as always Cory, nice grade to boot!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. sueno

sueno Go Fishing!

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    Good job! Thanks for the report! You should write a book! I would buy it! Just think you could afford lots more fishing trips and Maybe a new boat!

Haly0 and Tunaslam like this.
  6. sdrepairman

sdrepairman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    nick
    Boat:
    n/a
    Looks awesome

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Awesome Cory! I almost was on that boat. Shame on me for not being number 17 on 95 ft of platform.

Redemption trip for sure! :appl:

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Congratulations! Time and effort paying off

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Fat Guy

Fat Guy Member

Name:
    KG
    Boat:
    none
    NIce report! How was the boat (galley/food/bunks)? I've been thinking about doing an overnighter with my 8 year old.

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    Good for you!
    Must have found that fat chick..lol.
    Looks like an awesome day of fishing

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. Cbaldwin

Cbaldwin A whales vagina

Name:
    Connor Baldwin
    Boat:
    yes
    Great write up. Well done guys. Yeah that was some fun fishing this week.

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. Abusaade

Abusaade Member

095 is one of my favorites, and Captain Rick is a hard working skipper

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. colemans224

colemans224 Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    seaswirl cc
    Nice work! Great write up. Thanks!

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Baja Belk

Baja Belk Long, grandiloquent fish stories. Sorry.

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande "Only Big Ones"
    Nice slump buster!

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Great crew, food good, bunks comfortable, all stateroom. Lots of fishing room, super bait capacity, all you need for a fun experience with your son.

wildbunch and Fat Guy like this.
  17. Munnster

Munnster Member

Name:
    Michael Munn
    Boat:
    20 foot, Searay
    Great report Cory! Glad the slump is over for you!

Tunaslam and jer dog like this.
  18. can

can Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    looks like a good trip. the size is better than what i saw last time out.

Tunaslam likes this.
  19. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Back in the saddle again.
    Yee Ha!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    A Slump busted with a jackpot?! Always a nice way to get back in the game!

Tunaslam likes this.