Rpt-09-24-15 A 2 day adventure for Tails, Lings and Reds!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    So this was a change of pace from the continuous excellent Tuna fishing up north. However, as we all know, the tuna are much more difficult to find than they have been. It has been nearly six months since joining Captain Bill for a fun adventure out of Las Salinas, Baja California.

Leaving work in San Bernardino at 3pm Tuesday afternoon, I arrived at Bill’s place at around 6:00 pm Tuesday evening, and we proceeded to discuss the possibilities for tomorrow’s fishing. The tides allowed us a decent window of 6:15 am to after 2pm for exiting and entering the harbor, a continuous problem, despite them dredging for over six months.

Bill has been catching a few Yellowtail on most trips this summer, while finding awesome Calico Bass fishing, and always steady Rockfish action. I arrived thirsty and hungry and enjoyed a glass of Chardonnay before we searched for a place to eat dinner. I suggested Charley’s nearby, however they were closed. Another of our favorite restaurants in this area, Paradise Cove was also closed on Tuesday. So Bill selected Calypso, a specialty restaurant featuring Italian food. A bit pricey, however, the food was good.

After watching a few episodes of Wicked tuna, It was lights out at 10pm and Bill set the alarm for 5:00 am. So we went fishing Wednesday morning 09-23-15, on Bill’s 18’ Trophy, “Toad Hall”.

Day 1-Wednesday 09-23-15

The night and early morning hours were quite humid, 74 degrees per the temp gauge in Bill’s truck at 5:20 am, as we headed towards the harbor. The waves had been crashing most of the night, with little distance between them, indicating an offshore run would be tedious. Bill had hoped to make a run to the Rockpile while trolling for Wahoo, as I brought down several wired up Marauders. The word was they were around?

We cleared the harbor at 6:10 am with no issues, yet it was a washing machine condition, making our run offshore unattainable. We did run out near the Finger Bank and trolled between high spots. Our first high spot was loaded with Lingcod. Bill was first to land a nice keeper 28” Ling, I asked for a picture, however Bill said only if it is a Yellowtail or a Halibut.

I caught and released several Lingcod in the 23 to 25 inch range before landing and keeping this 27” Ling.

[​IMG]

Bill also caught a few decent sized Copper Rockfish, as did I:

[​IMG]

The Boccaccio were ever present and we caught a few Reds in the 3 pound range. Bill released a few more lingcod as did I. Then I got hammered and caught another 28” Lingcod. BTW the Lings loved the Flatfall jigs.

[​IMG]

We kept only three Lingcod out of the 15+ we caught, and were near limits on Rockfish. All the trolling between High spots proved futile and were constantly interrupted by an excess of free floating kelp in the area.

Bill set us up in an area where he had caught Yellowtail recently, fairly shallow 90 to 100 feet on hard bottom. On our first drift we both caught nice Calico Bass:

[​IMG]

The Johnny Bass were thick, however small in size and easy to release, as were all the Calico Bass. I caught another nice Copper:

[​IMG]

Another Calico Bass:

[​IMG]

As we drifted very close to the Kelp bed, I was reeling in my 4” plastic Red Flake and got slammed. It turned out to be a 4-5 pound Yellowtail. I released it and cast out again and while retrieving several bigger Yellowtail followed it in. Bill cast out a Colt Sniper and got hammered on the fall. This was a decent size Tail and put up a good fight. Bill hollered color and stuck him with the gaff. Bill finally agreed to a picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hooked another 5 pound Yellowtail on the plastic and released him. We spent another hour trying to catch the Tails to no avail. We called it a day at 1pm, as the wind was becoming a nuisance at 15+ knots, creating a rapid drift and difficult scope out.

Back at the dock, some pictures:

[​IMG]

I fileted up the Lingcod, Yellowtail and a few Coppers. I dropped off the rest of the fish we caught at Charley’s. We would return for a nice dinner later.

We spent the rest of the afternoon just taking in the beautiful ocean view and serene setting, enjoying a glass or two of wine. The 15+ knot breeze was refreshing, as the daytime temp was over 90 degrees, at the beach no less, no salvation? By sunset the wind was gone, however the crashing waves were still huge!

We had a great dinner at Charley’s and returned for another episode of Wicked Tuna on the TV. The both of us were exhausted and hit the sack early, because we would be back at it at 5:00 am tomorrow morning.

Day 2- Thursday 09-24-15

This morning was still humid at 74 degrees. The swells were similar to yesterday, very close together. This negated any attempt at offshore trolling. The tide window was either short or long today. We needed to be in by 11am or stay out until 3pm. No way I wanted to head home on a possible four hour drive that late, so we stayed relatively close to meet the 11am return deadline.

Unlike yesterday, our first couple of drifts in the area where the Lingcod were on the chew was disappointing. We both caught a few small Starry’s and the ever present Boccaccio. Bill did a little more search of the area and the results improved. The Lingcod went back on the chew, as did this big Red I caught:

[​IMG]

I alternated using a flat fall jig and my trusty 8 oz. Jax jig and shrimp fly setup. I was still catching some Lingcod on the Jax jig, although the flat fall was more productive on the lings, yet the Jax jig setup hammered the Boccaccio.

We had drifted off the hard bottom area and Bill said wind them in. I was winding up at about a 150 feet out of the 280 we were fishing and got stopped dead. My line then went slacked and while I began to reel again my rod went serious bendo. The head shakes clearly indicated it was a Yellowtail. Several good runs later and a nice fight Bill stuck this decent sized Yellowtail:

[​IMG]

My Jax jig was gone and I caught the Tail on the Shrimp fly, which told me I had a double hookup of Tails and the Jax jig broke off? Wow!

[​IMG]

We worked the area for another hour for not much, concentrating on catching Yellowtail. Still we caught more Coppers and other Rockfish. Bill moved us in to the area we had caught Tails the day before. No signs of them and we began a drift a little deeper where there were good marks. The bigger Johnny Bass were on the chew as well as Calico Bass and Sand Bass. Of course a few more Boccaccio were on the chew. No Tails showed up and it was time to call it a day at 10:45 am.

Day two catch, not including all the Boccaccio:

[​IMG]

Bill, we had a great couple of fun days on the water, having a blast and catching fish. I can’t begin to thank you enough! Looking forward to our next adventure together, and within a few weeks, the Lord willing?

Hook up!

Cory

2. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
  3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    What a nice escape Cory. I enjoy your Baja posts with Bill!!!

4. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Way to go Cory, love your Las Salinas reports. What color and size flat falls?

5. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    200 grams. the color blue, green, purple, all kinds!

6. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    That is some good eating fish there!!! Congrats on another successful trip.

7. Mikefromlb

Mikefromlb Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    "Cali Dreamin" 33' Tiara Open
    Cory:
    Nicely done!

8. tree3

tree3 Member

Name:
    FL Jeff
    Boat:
    Pathfinder 24 Tournament
    You need a tv show Tunaslam!

Paddyman1 likes this.
  9. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Anti - Tuna trip. :cool:

10. Bradyxxx

Bradyxxx Member

Name:
    Braden
    Boat:
    Catchalot
    Nice report Cory!! Thank You!!

11. muletrain

muletrain Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Nice read as always. Thanks for sharing your adventures

12. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Sometimes a change of pace is needed. Sounds like a blast of a trip!! I envy you Cory....I only hope I can still fish when I retire. Damn that's a long way off!!! :D

13. galen

galen gfunk

Name:
    galen
    Boat:
    15' inflatable "Pirate's Life"
    Great trip. On a side note, looks like that calico got a little excited when he came over the rail if you know what I mean. I thought the calico spawn was past, gotta love El Nino.

14. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    I had written La Salina off as a possibility but may look into going if the entrance is passable! Is Victor Campos still fishing his black CC out of there?

15. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    different boat now but yes.......

Bottom Line likes this.
  16. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Nice report as always, Cory... and what a load of edibles to take home.

17. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Don't rush it Jeff, getting old has it's consequences! Enjoy everyday as if it is your last one! All the best!

jeffdalton likes this.
  18. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    That would have been pretty amazing sight and fight! Two yt's on your rock fish jig... They probably shot off in opposite directions. Rockfishing sounds like a great change of pace right now!

19. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good eats, Cory! Thanks for another envious report!

20. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    Nice Report Cory!!!
    Its funny I invite guys to La Salina all the time and all I get is excuses and "yeah sounds good" but no action…..Back down again Friday!