Offshore Rpt-09-13-21 Cow Bells Ringing, YFT & More!

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
So who gets the kite fish, The boat?? Then you basically pay a filet fee and they will divide it up with who ever pays up???? That sounds like something the Constitution would pull.
600 pounds of fish divided up amongst those that chose to participate. More than half the anglers would of gone home empty? I would of spent the $25 in a heart beat, had I not caught 55 pounds of tuna for myself. I figured there would then be more for those in need!

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    That $25 dollar fee for some fish sounds fishy to me.
    If they pulled that crap with me, That would be the only money I would give them, I would normally give a $100 plus for a tip on a 1.5 day trip. They are cutting their own throat.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Can always count on some drama on BD.

What's a extra 25 bucks in the whole scheme of things. This hobby ain't cheep. and the profit in participating is not monetary. We do this for fun and for the memories.

Tug on a Pig with a couple of other people . . . priceless.

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    Clarify needed are 3 big fish the boats fish if so they can’t sell you fish. I understand a collection of $ 25 person to cut and package fish but all fish needs to be given to the ones who paid. The boat will only benefit if say 15 anglers partake to collect $325 for cleaning. I would do such a thing if I did not land a fish and would be hoping only 10 anglers bit because I feel you might get around 40+ lbs minimum each based on the weights posted. Fantastic deal for fresh BFT but all the fish needs to be distributed or the boat is just selling fish

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Yeah....I'm curious as well... with a "tag team" of 4 or more anglers pulling on that fish... who does the fish "officially" belong to? Can't be the boat..... like you said.... with paying customers... right? Maybe All 4 of the "tag team" anglers split 4 ways? Haven't fished a sportboat on the kite... private boats and the LR fleet only.

Reactions: kevina and Tunaslam
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    Congratulations on a great catch. Last Thursday, I fought by myself a kite fish that weighed 250. I can say for sure that it was not easy. I had Five Stars process the fish at the cost of $281 for 5-mil bags. So $25 to share that quality of meat is a super great deal.
    surprisingly, the weather was fishable considering the boat is relatively small at 65 footer.
    Good team work. Thank you for sharing the story

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Clarify needed are 3 big fish the boats fish if so they can’t sell you fish. I understand a collection of $ 25 person to cut and package fish but all fish needs to be given to the ones who paid. The boat will only benefit if say 15 anglers partake to collect $325 for cleaning. I would do such a thing if I did not land a fish and would be hoping only 10 anglers bit because I feel you might get around 40+ lbs minimum each based on the weights posted. Fantastic deal for fresh BFT but all the fish needs to be distributed or the boat is just selling fish
    Yep, Given to the ones who paid for the trip and caught it, Even if it was 6 people that caught the the fish, let them decide on what they want to do with the fish, Not the boat holding your fish Hostage or for ransom $$.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Yeah....I'm curious as well... with a "tag team" of 4 or more anglers pulling on that fish... who does the fish "officially" belong to? Can't be the boat..... like you said.... with paying customers... right? Maybe All 4 of the "tag team" anglers split 4 ways? Haven't fished a sportboat on the kite... private boats and the LR fleet only.
    The crew hooked the fish and they provided the huge tackle, plus a costly Flying fish for bait. I understand some tackle shops charge $20 each for Flying fish.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Congratulations on a great catch. Last Thursday, I fought by myself a kite fish that weighed 250. I can say for sure that it was not easy. I had Five Stars process the fish at the cost of $281 for 5-mil bags. So $25 to share that quality of meat is a super great deal.
    surprisingly, the weather was fishable considering the boat is relatively small at 65 footer.
    Good team work. Thank you for sharing the story
    Boat is only 55 feet!

Reactions: Abusaade
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    The crew hooked the fish and they provided the huge tackle, plus a costly Flying fish for bait. I understand some tackle shops charge $20 each for Flying fish.
    All boats that have a good reputation will provide boat rods and flying fish ( a lot of boats catch their own flying fish at night and freeze them) to the customers fishing the kite at No Charge, That is a part of doing business. The same would go for trolling rods that the boat provides to the customer with marauders, Yo Zuri's or feathers while trolling, You don't charge for these simple things and say that it's a boat fish that was caught on our equipment that we provide you or we hooked the fish. There are a couple over night boats that do charge for trolling rods and leaders for the kite and the use of their equipment and look at that boats reputation for pulling these Shenanigans for trying to squeeze a few bucks out of passengers. There the ones tied at the dock or looking for people to get the boat away from the dock.

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Corey, I've heard from a couple people that have paid $50 for fresh dead flying fish and $40 for frozen flyers when the Big BFT's were biting locally (off Catalina) from a Bait receiver in L.A harbor.

Reactions: Tunaslam
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Corey, I've heard from a couple people that have paid $50 for fresh dead flying fish and $40 for frozen flyers when the Big BFT's were biting locally (off Catalina) from a Bait receiver in L.A harbor.
    My guess is they have a source, where someone fishes the islands at night? The flying fish were frozen.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Before we left the dock we were told that any kite fish caught would be equally shared for all passengers. Nothing was said about processing fees. Then why would they? Listen 16 anglers walked off that boat as happy campers. I don't know the final weight breakdown, must of been 30-40 pounds each? That's less than a $1 a lb. Great bargain! As I said the 55 pounds of tuna I caught were plenty for me. I didn't need to spend $25 to give fish away, as I have no freezer space at home, and Tuna do not freeze well.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Great report there, Cory! :appl:

Congrats on a good trip. :)

Reactions: Tunaslam