Rpt.-09-11-16 Sun. SCI Missed On the targeted species, but!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Itching to get back into the Bluefin Tuna game, I went fishing with Craig and Morris on their 26’ diesel powered Skipjack, the “Jugular”. We left Saturday evening at 5:30 pm out of Huntington Harbor.

Stopped at Nachos for 1.5 scoops of Sardines Gigantus! Had about 40% roll overnight. The wind was howling and the seas were not friendly at all. It would be a long ride over to San Clemente Island, much longer than we had hoped.

Traveling often at only nine knots, we still got beat up, arriving at Pyramid Cove at 11:30 pm, a monumental 6 hour “E” ticket ride. We anchored up in the cove, as the 6 to 8 foot swells and 20 knot winds meant there was no early positioning on Desperation Reef, where the big Bluefin have been hanging out for several weeks.

We only saw one lonely Sport Boat out on the Reef. By early morning there were 30 to 40+ boats on the Reef. We put out the squid lights, although Craig had forgotten the long handled dip net, he did have a Crowder. The squid refused to float, and every time they began to the seals came rushing in.

Sunday morning, 09-11-16.

Lights out at 1:15 am and back up at 5:45 am. We pulled anchor, while watching the Pacific Quest next to us pull in some large Yellowtail. They had squid and we didn’t think the Tails would be feeding on the Sardines? I threw one out for shits and grins for nothing.

We joined the armada, anchoring up in 263 feet, next to several sport boats, The First String and several others. We were soon joined by more private boaters, although most were 25 foot boats or larger with the rough seas. Oh yeah it was already capping with 12 to 15 knot winds and by 8am blowing 20, with 8 to 10 foot swells, how sweet!

We watched several private boaters use the kite, one was at anchor, while another was trolling. The wind did not allow for the kite stay low enough and both seemed to abandon their kite efforts. We had one two and would of used it had we observed some success.

I tried fly lining a Sardine, butt hooked on 40 pound, however, the wind was against the current which was very strong uphill, and each time the bait ran toward the bow near the anchor. Craig put out a balloon to get the bait away from the boat. I rubber banned an 8oz. Torpedo sinker to my 60 pound outfit and pinned on a sardine. We had marks between 90 and 120 feet, so that’s where I stopped the descent approximately.

We also threw flat falls and Colt Snipers to no avail. We watched a private boater about two hundred yards away land a big Tuna off the balloon. That was the only hookup we observed the entire morning. At 9:30 am most of the Sport Boats pulled anchor and moved on. By 10am, they were all on the move.

It appeared the seas were even getting nastier, so we decided enough is enough and time to get out of Dodge. We headed toward Pyramid where a number of Sport Boats were anchored up just outside in 180 feet of water. We saw boiling fish around the boats and numerous hookups. They were catching both Yellowtail and Yellowfin Tuna in the 15 to 20 pound range.

We had great marks on the meter and it was only a minute before Craig got hammered on his sardine on 25 pound test. ZZZZZZZZZZZ and Craig was nearly spooled as the big fish didn’t want to stop. Craig said he could not lift it and gain any line back. Another run and Zing POW, goodbye! I was also bit, however, it was only a five pound Bonito.

I was soon bit again on my 20 pound outfit, and fortunately this big fish stayed on the surface for a 100 or more yards, then did the Kamikaze straight back to the boat. Then it sounded and oh boy, I might be in trouble? I guess I had gained enough line back and with that long first run the fish tired just before reaching the rocks. I gained some line back, yet it still made several more runs straight down.

This fish did not want to give up and stayed at deep color for quite some time, before I finally got him to the surface and Craig stuck him. A big Yellowtail in the 23 to 24 pound range:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile Morris had been bit on 25 pound and faced similar results as did Craig, several very long runs, and no stopping the fish before reaching the rocks. Then Craig did a repeat performance.

We were chumming with chunks of Sardines and some Mackerel. As we were running somewhat low on bait, Morris elected to throw out a chunk bait on sixty pound line. Sure enough he got bit and the darn fish took out some serious line and then headed to the bow and got tangled in the anchor. Crap, that was a big Tuna for sure, never sounded!

I also got rocked on my 20 pound outfit, gad these big Tails were not cooperating! Morris threw out another chunk and was bit again. Oh boy here we go again, a big long run, then sounding. Morris made some headway and I continually heard the reel screaming off drag. Finally Morris is on the board. A nice 25 pound Yellowtail, where in this case the pictures do not do it justice, a bit bigger than my first one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I said what the heck, I have caught Tuna before on chunks, why not? I switched to 25 and was bit almost immediately. That extra poundage paid off as I stopped the fish before reaching the bottom. It was another good fight to the surface. This Yellowtail was under 20 pounds:

[​IMG]

Three on ice:

[​IMG]

Just 15 seconds later I am hammered on the chunk. Darn, I wish I had switched to 30 pound. This was definitely a Tuna and took a 200 yard run right on the surface. It also did a Kamikaze, and I gained about a 100 yards back, before the fish sounded. However, it quickly returned to the surface and took run after run. I gained line and lost line. After more than 30 minutes the big Tuna simply played with me at about 80 to 100 feet deep.

Well bent:

[​IMG]

Another 15+ minutes of tug of war, where again the Tuna came to the surface and sounded numerous times, always some 100+ feet from the boat. I got to see him only once at about 20 feet deep, thinking I now had him, surely looked 50+. Not sure if Yellowfin or Bluefin.

Just then a seal comes up on him and the Tuna goes absolutely berserk, ripping off another 150 yards of line. Gad how is that possible after all this time? Hanging on for dear life and totally exhausted, the Tuna sounds and rocks me! Pulled in 20 feet of shredded line. Damn seal, an hour wasted!

It was about 1pm and the bite dried up for us, no hookups during my long fight, although the boats around us were still hooking a few, most looked to be Yellowfin Tuna, with a few Tails. The First String had hooked a big Tuna and had pulled anchor to chase it. Don’t know if they got it?

As we attempted to pull anchor, which was stuck, I continued to fish with my 30 pound outfit. I went back to live sardines, as the chunks had quit producing. I got short bit several times and then got a solid hookup. Wow this Tail was headed to the high country, must have peeled off 150 yards of line on its initial run.

Oh boy, trouble again, if it found some structure. However, I pulled hard and continued to play the big Tail with care and gained on him. Got it to deep color, but it wasn’t done yet, and took another run. Worked him back up, and almost into gaffing range and wanted no part of the boat and down he went again. They say patience is a virtue, whew I’m working up a healthy sweat! Finally I guided him within range of the gaff and Craig sinks it in, a beast.

Closing in on 30 pounds, again the picture does not do it justice, as Morris weighed his at 25, this was bigger, although we didn’t weigh it:

[​IMG]

After an hour of pulling and tugging at the anchor, had to cut it off! Not the way you want to end the day. Winds were howling and the seas were angry! Another long bumpy ride home arriving in 4 hours.

Slowed down in the harbor to clean fish:

[​IMG]

Well if it wasn’t for bad luck we would have no luck at all, as when we arrived at the dock the truck would not start. Another boater Joe, volunteered to tow us to Craig’s house a short five miles away. Left the truck for a tow tomorrow?

Thanks so much for the invite Craig and Morris, it’s been a tough year for you guys. We missed on the targeted species, but salvaged a decent day despite the awful conditions. Hope you have gotten all the bad luck out of the way for 2016 and the truck is an easy fix?

Hook up! Cory

2. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Nice report Corey, those are some healthy looking tails. We were out there Thursday and Friday and only saw a few fish boated, we tried everything with no luck. I would have killed to get hooked up on a Yellowtail or anything for that matter...

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. ediggity

ediggity Newbie

Name:
    Edwin
    Great report! Way to make a great day out of it even though you didn't get into the big BTF.

So the Navy didn't kick you out at 6.00 AM? Did you hear from them at all?

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Perfect!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    No sign of the Navy! Radio on 16 all morning. They were doing live fire somewhere else! At least 30 miles away!

6. jjdynomite

jjdynomite Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    n/a
    Great report and nice YTs....surprised you went to SCI. My charter originally planned to go there but was told it was off limits due to military training or something to that affect.

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    We watched the live fire and tracers and could hear them going off the first night, the second night they kicked us out and we had to anchor off White Rock. The weather was building Friday night and by Saturday morning we were glad that we were leaving. We saw some really small boats out there and couldn't imagine them making the crossing safely...

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yeah we saw the Navy closure, took the chance, then again there were 50 other boats that did also! No Navy!

Gil Marlin likes this.
  9. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Alright Corey! Good job sticking it out and boating fish in tough conditions and bad breaks. Those are some beautiful yellows!

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Great report Cory! Bummer about that dang dog, beautiful yellows!

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Great report Cory, I was rooting for you. Definitely worked for those beauties. Hopefully see you in October on the Relentless.

Gary

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    Yikes, you guys earned those yellows!

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. SD Fish Guy

SD Fish Guy -Patrick the aquarium pro

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Triumph 17' CC, Seapro 190wa
    Nice report Corey and yeah it was rough out there, I was at the 182 in my 17' cc and it was too much, had to head in almost as soon as we got out there.

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Nice slugs there,considering conditions,wtg!

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. Sciaenops

Sciaenops Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    way to stick it out. those tuna are brutes. took 2 people and more than 1.5 h to land an 80+ bft on Aztec yesterday, but it was on 30#.

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. Sonny100

Sonny100 Member

Name:
    Sonny
    Boat:
    Mako 184 CC
    Great report!

Tunaslam likes this.