Rpt. 09-03-18 Cat/SCI The beat goes on!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Fished on the 26' Skipjack Jugular with Captain Morris. I met Morris at his slip in Huntington Harbor at 4:30 am, locked and loaded and headed to Nachos for a ½ scoop of Sardines (4-5 inch and feisty). We also stayed in the area to make a couple of dozen beautiful Mac’s. We had the ammo, now we needed the victims to use them on.

Our plan was to head outside the east end of Catalina, continue past the island for 5 miles and head west to where the Bluefin have been spotted off and on. I brought a 60, 80 and 100 outfit for sport! Flatfalls, Poppers and Glow sinkers for fishing bait. I wish I could of used them on something?

We looked for and found a few kelp paddies on the way out, but all dry. Water temps reached 71.7 degrees at the east end. We stopped at Farnsworth to soak a few baits, lots of stuff on the meter, a few other private boaters working the area, although saw nothing. We stayed for a ½ hour and made several drifts over the high spot’s.

At 9:30 am we left for the west end of San Clemente Island. About half way there the water temps began to fall and the water turned an ugly brown/grey green. By the time we were within 4 miles of the west end the temp read 67.5 degrees. Of course there were so many kelp paddies in this cold dirty water you couldn’t go a ¼ mile before coming across another one as big as a house in some cases, what a crying shame, good old Murphy working his charm! Not even bait wanted any part of this area. Although plenty of the paddies had birds on them, lots of birds!

Reached SCI at 11am, there were four other private boaters. Water temps returned to 69 and down the front of the island reached 73.6, at White Rock. The water was still a blue green color, even up the front side. On the west end we did some fun fishing for Calico Bass, Whitefish, Sheephead and Rockfish. Caught and released some 15-20 Calico Bass to two pounds. Lost a few bigger ones to the kelp. The smaller sardines are outstanding bait for Calico Bass. We also had squid and I fished the bottom to catch and release a dozen Whitefish and small Rockfish. I did keep a 3 pound Sheephead and several whitefish for dinner. Morris kept two 15+ inch Calico Bass for dinner.

The reports said that the Yellowtail white on the front side was a late afternoon bite. So at 1:45 pm we headed east. Looked at a lot of usual places where we used to fish, the kelp is all gone in this warm water. Reached White Rock just as a sport boat was leaving I think the Fury? Several other private boaters were pulling anchor and also leaving. Guess we were late. The wind was picking up and made drifting a very fast paced item. Didn’t meter anything, no birds working and I certainly didn’t like the looks of the water color.

Continued on to Pyramid, but upon reaching the point the wind was howling, and it made no sense to continue. Funny thing a mile off the island it became sleet glass! We ran four miles off the east end towards the 277 to look for paddies. I took a nap, and Morris never spotted a paddy until we reached the east end of Catalina. Still nice weather with a little one foot wind chop. Little capping to the rigs. The channel was a bit of a washing machine yet we were able to make 20 knots comfortably.

We hoped for some saving grace at the rigs, but the off color water was a disappointment despite being 72.2 degrees. No signs of life and proceeded to toss all the bait.

It was a long day and boat ride, from 3:30 am to back at the dock at 6:30 and home by 8:30. Spoke to three private boaters at the dock, one boat caught two Dorado mid Catalina channel, the other two caught only bass and rockfish like us.

I know I am going to break out of this slump sometime soon?

Hook up!

Cory

2. PacificPredator

PacificPredator Captain

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Thanks for the report.\
    2018 has been disappointing for sure.

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. flyliner

flyliner @thereelflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Thanks for the report Cory. Like I have said before, when someone fishes as much as you do, they are bound to have bad trips once in a while.

We were out there on Monday as well. We stuck around Catalina looking for the right paddy and got lucky.

mhanson59hb, clevel and Tunaslam like this.
  4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    You can always find them Jonathon, had I known you were out I would of begged to buddy boat with you!

clevel likes this.
  5. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    Nice try...putting in the work

Sometimes having sex with a fat chick can be the ultimate slump buster, just a suggestion.

Tunaslam, princefredo and clevel like this.
  6. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :D
    FlounderMermaid.jpg

Tunaslam, clevel and stella marina like this.
  7. FloMar

FloMar Hired Gun!

Name:
    John Collar
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Some are built for comfort and some are built for speed, applicable to both boats and chicks, I suggest you get a moustache ride from the same girl.

Tunaslam and stella marina like this.
  8. FloMar

FloMar Hired Gun!

Name:
    John Collar
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Cory, over time you've done just fine, take a deep breath, things will fall into place for you, you just can't have carnage every single trip. John.

Tunaslam and clevel like this.
  9. jughead

jughead Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    24 Seaswirl striper
    Corey with your skill and knowledge of fishing it will happen soon. As always a great report. Thanks......Jughead

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. NaClLife

NaClLife Fish whisperer

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Good deal. You’ll get them.

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Keep at it Cory! Thanks for the report.

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    I always keep a one pound bag full of my dines and freeze them for chumming up macs at a later date and time. I've also been saving up for you know what season coming up.

Tunaslam and mrkrabs like this.