Islands RPT-08-13-21 Tuna limits at Cat!

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Tuna Tuna! Finally. It has been a long summer and although I have done some fishing, I have not done much catching. I have been to the Coronados, SCI, offshore Tuna hunting and a few private boater trips for nothing. The 1.5 day Tuna trip I went on with 34 anglers where we caught 5, a full day trip where we caught zero, on Sport Boats. Very perplexing and my fishing mojo has been a definite setback. I have caught several Yellowtail this year, a 14 pounder, and several 6 pounders, whoop de doo! Sad.

So, I went fishing with Morris on his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” leaving his slip in Huntington Harbor at about 5:15am Friday morning 08-13-21.

We stopped at Nachos, where we bought a full scoop of Sardines, which were dynamite, few died during the day. The seas were calm, but the fog was miserable. We dodged big ship after big ship and a few private boaters until it cleared up about two thirds of the way to Catalina. Thank God for radar?

We arrived the east end shortly after 8am. My first bait in the water was bit on 30 pound and a 100+ yard run was made by the Tuna. I worked it back to the boat and when I got it to deep color the hook pulled, darn, my Tuna luck still in disarray? It was definitely our biggest hooked fish of the day. Morris was then bit and after a valiant fight suffered the same fate, a pulled hook.

I could not get bit on 30 and dropped down to 25, while Morris hooked another fish on 20. This time the line broke. He was bit again and finally there was blood on the deck.

The seals moved in and were stealing one bait after another. Then a 400-pound monster decided to camp under the boat and hijack one Tuna after another. We decided it was time to move, but not far, just enough past some other private boaters to let the seals harass them. We managed a double hookup and landed both Tuna. I gaffed mine and then Morris. My slump was over, no more skunk.

I hooked another nice fish and same story Mr. Monster was back. Morris managed to hook one and get it to the boat, where I gaffed it. Limits!

Ok we were 4 for 14, the seals 7 for 7!

It was fun, but frustrating. We ran down the frontside of the Island all the way to the Isthmus looking for Tails, no such luck. Then ran offshore looking for kelp, as Dorado were being caught, could not find any. Still a great day and after the fog, sensational weather.

Four 15-20 pound Bluefin, my phone picture was sent to both my emails and for some reason, nothing? Should of used my camera. Sorry no Pic’s!

Arrived to his slip at 4:00 pm.

Thanks, so much Morris, what a fun day.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/read and GOOD JOB guys. Limits a good thing. Damn seals and sea lions. Too many!
    Boggels the mind anchored boats off the quarry near the usual bonito hole catching bluefin now...and the shelf. LOL Dream fishing!!
    Glad you finally scored. I'm still in a cast after surgery.

Reactions: Tunaslam
    Upvote 0

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
    Jul 14, 2004
    Alta Loma/Huntington
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Tuna Tuna! Finally. It has been a long summer and although I have done some fishing, I have not done much catching. I have been to the Coronados, SCI, offshore Tuna hunting and a few private boater trips for nothing. The 1.5 day Tuna trip I went on with 34 anglers where we caught 5, a full day trip where we caught zero, on Sport Boats. Very perplexing and my fishing mojo has been a definite setback. I have caught several Yellowtail this year, a 14 pounder, and several 6 pounders, whoop de doo! Sad.

So, I went fishing with Morris on his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” leaving his slip in Huntington Harbor at about 5:15am Friday morning 08-13-21.

We stopped at Nachos, where we bought a full scoop of Sardines, which were dynamite, few died during the day. The seas were calm, but the fog was miserable. We dodged big ship after big ship and a few private boaters until it cleared up about two thirds of the way to Catalina. Thank God for radar?

We arrived the east end shortly after 8am. My first bait in the water was bit on 30 pound and a 100+ yard run was made by the Tuna. I worked it back to the boat and when I got it to deep color the hook pulled, darn, my Tuna luck still in disarray? It was definitely our biggest hooked fish of the day. Morris was then bit and after a valiant fight suffered the same fate, a pulled hook.

I could not get bit on 30 and dropped down to 25, while Morris hooked another fish on 20. This time the line broke. He was bit again and finally there was blood on the deck.

The seals moved in and were stealing one bait after another. Then a 400-pound monster decided to camp under the boat and hijack one Tuna after another. We decided it was time to move, but not far, just enough past some other private boaters to let the seals harass them. We managed a double hookup and landed both Tuna. I gaffed mine and then Morris. My slump was over, no more skunk.

I hooked another nice fish and same story Mr. Monster was back. Morris managed to hook one and get it to the boat, where I gaffed it. Limits!

Ok we were 4 for 14, the seals 7 for 7!

It was fun, but frustrating. We ran down the frontside of the Island all the way to the Isthmus looking for Tails, no such luck. Then ran offshore looking for kelp, as Dorado were being caught, could not find any. Still a great day and after the fog, sensational weather.

Four 15-20 pound Bluefin, my phone picture was sent to both my emails and for some reason, nothing? Should of used my camera. Sorry no Pic’s!

Arrived to his slip at 4:00 pm.

Thanks, so much Morris, what a fun day.
    Similar results. It's a strange season. We seem to be able to zig when they zag. Went out to the 499 and they bit a mile off of the beach.

Reactions: Tunaslam
    Upvote 0