Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
It has been a year since Bill sold his boat and I was invited down to his personal paradise, a Trailer home on a cliff overlooking Descanso Bay, just south of Rosarito. We use to destroy the fish out of Las Salinas and was so disappointed when the fishing opportunities ended a year ago.

So I told Bill, fishing or not it was still an unbelievable experience to spend some time down at his place and share memories of our adventures together. He suggested I come down on Monday 7-29-19 and spend a few days there. I have recently cut my work days down to two days a week from three. My Boss does not want me to quit all together. that's cool, always nice to be wanted? So I could stay three days instead of the usual two.

We still talked about fishing sometime during my stay. Bill did some research and decided that Ensenada was dead. The WSB were biting in San Quintin, so we agreed to book a boat with Pedro's Pangos with owner Hector.

I spent Monday night at Bill's, arriving at 6pm from work in San Bernardino. We shot the shit for an hour, had a few libations and headed over to Charly's, one our favorite places to eat. The wine and beer were good, the shrimp Tacos fantastic, and the price more than fair.

Woke up Tuesday morning and packed our gear for the journey to San Quintin, leaving at 9:30 we stopped and we enjoyed a fabulous breakfast at La Fonda's on our way to San Quintin, Tuesday 07-30-19.

Expecting a four hour drive to San Quintin, we left the restaurant at 10:30 and would arrive just before 2:20. Traffic through Ensenada is horrible, and not so good through any of the other cities heavily populated, including Colonett, Camalu, etc. We also got lucky traveling through the mountains past Endira, (Castro’s Camp turnoff) where they have road construction that can be up to a 40 minute wait. Just as we arrived the line started to move, so we caught the tail end of the wait. With trucks headed uphill in treacherous dirt and uneven pavement conditions, it was quite the task to endure?

We observed the various boats coming in from the day’s fishing off the Old Mission dock. I have to say, the launch ramp was in incredible shape from the last time I was here. We started to drool, as boat after boat brought in huge WSB, the smallest being in the high thirties and most being in the 45-55 pound range. Wow!

We booked a very comfortable and clean room at Don Eddie’s, after looking at several at the Old Mill which did not meet our expectations. After unloading our gear, and putting together our tackle aimed at WSB fishing, including the favorite, Crocodile lures we cleaned up for dinner at Jardine’s.

It has been years since either of us had eaten here, yet our expectations were high. The place was very busy for a Tuesday night. I ordered the surf and turf, Filet Mignon and Shrimp, Baked Potato, Rice, vegetable, and a choice of soup or salad. Bill ordered a Chicken and Pasta meal, with all the goodies. The food was extraordinary, the Margarita I had was great and Bill had a few Tecate Beer’s. The bill was way too cool. You would pay more than twice that amount in the states.

Up at 5:30 am and on the Panga at 6am and in the water shortly after. Miguel was our Captain and the Coyote was our Panga. We cleared the harbor in about a half hour and headed south with all the other boats, about twenty. The word was out, WSB were biting!

We arrived to fish the area some 30 minutes later. Nothing, nothing and more nothing. The birds were not working and the fish did not show for the whole fleet. As far as I know no one caught WSB today. It was a total shutdown of WSB.

Very disappointing. We saw Juan Cook out there who had a great day on Tuesday, five big Seabass! Don’t know how he ended up, but I didn’t see a report either. We caught 40+ Sand Bass, some Calico Bass to four pounds and a few Rockfish. That was our day!

We called it at 12:30, knowing the long drive home ahead. We cleared San Quintin at 2:30pm and arrived back at Bill’s place at 7:30 pm, totally exhausted. Sure was glad I didn’t have to drive home tonight.

Had a great breakfast at one of Bill’s favorites and headed home. The border wait at Otay Mesa was expected to be 1.5 hours+, so I headed to Tecate where it took 27 minutes to cross. Granted it is 30 miles out of my way, but I would rather be driving than inching forward in line. It took me 3 hours and 45 minutes to get home to Diamond Bar, not bad, considering the detour?

That’s my story and I am sticking to it. Thanks for all the hospitality Bill, sure hope I get another invite soon?

Hook up!

Cory

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Good work!

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
You mentioned la Salina. What happened to the fishing there?

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I have had a place in San Quintin for about 25 years and just a little secret that I have observed over the years fishing there.

The white seabass bite shuts down the day of either a full or new moon. Don't ask me why but we have been charting it for a number of years. We have seen many times the boats loaded up with seabass the day before the full and new and go out with high expectations the next day, only to get zero'd. The week before the full and new moon can be spectacular.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
You mentioned la Salina. What happened to the fishing there?

Las Salinas is even worse on the harbor exit/entrance with sand bars everywhere, and no dredging going on. As I said Bill sold his boat and we don't fish out of there any longer. There are so many gill nets out there now, that most fishing is poor.

Reactions: stuman and fishbuck
Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I have had a place in San Quintin for about 25 years and just a little secret that I have observed over the years fishing there.

The white seabass bite shuts down the day of either a full or new moon. Don't ask me why but we have been charting it for a number of years. We have seen many times the boats loaded up with seabass the day before the full and new and go out with high expectations the next day, only to get zero'd. The week before the full and new moon can be spectacular.

Timing is everything and we were one day off, as were the other 20 boats out there! Bummer.

Reactions: fishbuck
Upvote 0

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
In the US the WSBs were non-existant until they changed the regs for no gill nets inside three miles...
SBI had limits of White Sea Bass for a month, everyday almost... on a big party fishing boat.
The well regulated California fishing waters have been improving every year since they started the closure areas.
It's working!
And then here where they net the fish right up to the beach.
That wipes out the fish... permanatly...
Spend your money where the fish are now...
if I was you mike i'd go spend my money at santa monica seafood......there youre fishing troubles are done for ever.
BUT if you can tell me eggzacly were to go find fish everday,be a good friend and don't keep me waytting,i want to go there every day for ever.thanck you.

Upvote 0

clean n up

Jun 7, 2009
Alta Loma, CA USA
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Parker 2520
if I was you mike i'd go spend my money at santa monica seafood......there youre fishing troubles are done for ever.
BUT if you can tell me eggzacly were to go find fish everday,be a good friend and don't keep me waytting,i want to go there every day for ever.thanck you.
Nice one Juan....lmao!

Upvote 0

BajaGringo

Say what???
Jan 11, 2008
San Quintin, Baja Mexico
www.facebook.com
Name
Ron
Boat
Dos Amigos
Mike - fishbuck - I tried to politely listen to you rage on about "NO FISH IN SQ" for awhile this afternoon at Jardines until I could no longer take it.

In your mind Mike, you are convinced that just because your captain took you out after Tuna - based on your insistence (and got skunked), instead of following his advice to follow the better local action currently going on, translates into there must be no action in San Quintin???

Believe it or not Mike, the fishing action here is much bigger than what you see through your little window and all you have to do is take a look at the San Quintin Fishing Report page on facebook which is showing a lot of action over just the last couple of days and probably doesn't even represent 10% of what was actually landed.

Here's some sincere advice Mike - learn to do a better job of keeping your cool and make sure of what you are talking about, especially before mouthing off about some very experienced and well respected local captains. San Quintin is a small town and they have really long memories down here.

Consider it some free advice to go along with your beers I paid for tonight when you literally were making an ass out of yourself...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fishbuck

Catch of the day!
Sep 30, 2008
costa mesa,ca and SanQ
Name
Mike
Boat
?
I have some free advice for you too Ron.
If you want to see an ass... look at your face in the mirror...
And I do mean that literally.

And thank you for that free beer.
It was cold and refreshing.
Atleast you got that part right...:cheers:

#RonHoffLiar

Last edited:
Upvote 0