Rpt.-07-26-18 Cat. The 3 B's and a Tail!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Having returned from a vacation in Cabo San Lucas and having my fishing plans canceled I was hoping to get in on the Yellowtail action at Catalina. So I went fishing with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky” with friend Marc. We launched out of Davies in Los Alamitos at 4:45 am, our beginning destination being the East End of Catalina.

We stopped at Nachos for a scoop of lively sardines. The water temp just outside the break wall was 69 degrees, and as we approached the rigs, the water temp decreased to 66, then off the east end rose back to 70, eventually hitting a high of 71.7 along the front side of the island. The seas were calm and glassy, however, there was a residual lump from the windy seas the previous day, forcing us to stay at about 18 knots occasionally increasing our speed to 20+.

We arrived at the east end of the island at a little after 7am. The swells were up and the 3-4 footers were too close together to make it a pleasant ride to the backside of the island, so we stopped first at the rock quarry. We marked a lot of bait and caught a few Calico Bass slow trolling our sardines. Then a fur ball showed up and boom, boom, boom, all three of our baits were bitten off at the head. Time to move on, we were dealing with a pro sardine thief.

Passing Avalon and continuing on we didn’t see any Sport Boats in the area. A ½ mile past Avalon Barracuda and Bass were crashing on the abundant bait supply. We tossed Tady 45’s and Colt Snipers and caught a Bass or Barracuda on almost every cast. However, our targeted species did not make an appearance and we moved on.

Shockingly at 9am the wind started howling, white caps everywhere just a ¼ mile off the island out of the south. It lasted a few hours, made for fast drifts, but still fishable conditions tucked in close to the island.

Everywhere we stopped the Bass, Barracuda and a few Bonito wanted to play. We left them biting and when passing Empire Landing we began to see Sport Boats, all the usual suspects, Pursuit, Native Sun, Enterprise, Tradition, Sport King, Triton, and Gail Force.

We finally settled on Eagle’s Reef inside the Isthmus. We saw a few Yellowtail landed and watched a couple of private boaters fight some only to lose them at gaff? The Sport Boats played musical chairs moving from spot to spot and Chris crossing each other. Most of boats had an off day, with counts from several Yellowtail to 15, nothing like the previous two days of 50+.

Fish and game stopped by and checked everything out. We thanked them for doing their duty.

At a little after high noon Marc almost had his rod pulled out of his hand as a Yellowtail caught him half a sleep and ripped the line off the reel. We had drifted into 66 feet of water and of course the Tail headed towards the island pulling us into 40 feet. Lal fired up the engine and we dragged the fish out to deeper water. Marc was using a 30 pound leader with 65 pound spectra backing. A good fight and Lal sunk the gaff into a 14 pounder. The leader was shredded, but did not break, that Flouro sure has good abrasion resistance.

We hung out until 1:30pm, seeing no more action in the area and most boats clearing out. The crossing was bumpy, but mostly downhill and we made it to the San Pedro light before 3pm, not bad. On the trailer at 3:30 pm. All fish were released except the Yellowtail.

Lady luck continues to plague me so far this year, I just can get out on a good day or go to the right place. Sure am paying my dues this year. Soon, soon, I will break the curse!

Thanks Lal, you tried everything and everywhere, the Tails just eluded us again today. Hook up! Cory

tree3, Geronimo21, djd35de and 20 others like this.
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Great report Cory. At least you guys did get the target species on the boat! It seems like for most it has been slow on the tails over there, with a few guys getting lucky and getting 5+ fish in an outing. The more you go, the more better days you will have to balance out those slow ones! ;)

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Hey Cory!
    I saw you at the launch ramp on your return. You pulled up in front of us and let Lal and his friend off at the dock. Apologize for my lack of salutation. Your weather report was spot on. I thought my temp sensor was way off when I had temp readings around 66 to 67 degrees by the 150. We motored out past the Elly/Ellen rigs just to run the boat and a little fishing. It was too rough to fish so we left after 30 mins. Saw many big schools of fin bait in that area breaking water and birds working it. Didn't meter anything that looked suspicious.
    Saw you talking to the guys with the Parker by the restroom. My kid said they had a really big YT. My kid guessed it was about 30sih pounds.

Thanks for the report!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Tunaslam likes this.
  4. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    The guys in the parker stopped at the fuel dock and weighed the 2 they got. They were 25 and 40 lbs. we weighed them on my accurate boga grip and they were 4 lbs less, but still very nice fish.
    We must have got well over 100 calicos-sometimes they were boiling on bait !!! Lots of fun but only one yellow-slow day .

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Thanks Cory,cool and detailed report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yep an old friend of mine Rocky caught it on 20 pound line, quite a feat? He claimed they weighed it at the fuel dock and it registered 40 pounds, they also weighed in a 26 pounder. Lal put the 40 pounder on the boga grip and bottomed out, it only goes to 30. The 26 pounder only weighed 21 on the boga, which is very accurate. So we figured the 40 pounder was 36+. It was a beast for sure and really an accomplishment on 20 pound line. Way to go Rocky.

7. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Landing the 30ish pound YT on 20# line takes skills and patience. Good for them in getting it done. You guys will get your share of fun with the yellowtails soon. Did you guys spot any whales on your way back to the federal wall?

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. Ed Y

Ed Y Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    BW Montauk 170
    Sounds like a nice day on the water!

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Tunaslam

Name: