Rpt.-06-03-15 Run & Gun Tails at the 150!

PENN

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
Makin it look easier than it actually is again!!! Takin notes over here. Thanks

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
When you cleaned your fish were they all females?We had 9 yesterday all big fish and everyone filled with row.Seemed strange not one male.Tom

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
When you cleaned your fish were they all females?We had 9 yesterday all big fish and everyone filled with row.Seemed strange not one male.Tom

Three were males, including the biggest, loaded with mating ammo!

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Great write up as always Cory! That was some epic fishing for sure! Best local Yellowtail fishing Ive ever seen and it was honestly as if we were at Cedros! It was that good. Really enjoyed chit chating with you and Lau. Incredible day! Way to capture its essence Cory!

Likewise, great job on your catch!

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Reactions: Bwood
Upvote 0

Darryl Smith

Jan 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Roofer Darryl
Boat
Boat less
I went fishing Wednesday 6-03-15, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am, our beginning destination being the 150 spot.

Planning to go offshore for Bluefin Tuna, the weather Monster once more jumped up and kept us closer to home. We stopped at Nachos for a ½ scoop of giant Sardines, which looked quite healthy. Knowing that the Yellowtail were on the large size, big Dines should be no problem.

The area forecast called for 9 to 12 knots of wind in the morning, with a 4 foot swell at 11 seconds, while the afternoon forecast called for 7 to 10 knots of wind and 5 feet swells at 9 seconds. At 5:30am, when we cleared the harbor, there were grease conditions inside the harbor, yet a washing machine condition existed outside.

The water temps were up to 64 degrees, and increased to 65.2 as we approached the 150 spot. The seas were already gnarly, with lots of popcorn by 7am. We went past the first rig and headed out to an area about three miles beyond the rigs where Lal had caught several Yellowtail on Saturday.

We began fishing around 7 am, with only a couple of other private boaters challenging the conditions. Lal checked our bait and all was dead, we thought the bait pump had died, although it turned out the intake hose had come loose.

Oh well no bait and it would be lures only. We were ever alert for the telltale signs of diving birds. We saw lots of birds and metered a ton of bait, although there was no sign of any predators, IE: Yellowtail!

Running uphill was a pain, and we often got splashed and on one big swell, we got soaked, a rarity on the Ducky. At 9am a bunch of Sport boats started arriving. They were not far off the first rig. We saw them on all on the move searching for signs of fish, and then about five stopped. We headed that way and saw birds diving everywhere and anglers on the boats were hooked up. Just in front of us the Yellowtail were boiling and I cast my surface iron and got bit instantly.

Gad these fish are healthy, and my fish did the hunker down for quite some time. He was a load, and worked me all the way up. Finally I brought the fish to gaff and Lal stuck him. A solid 24 pound Yellowtail:

100_4014%201024x768_zpsclqsl2sx.jpg

About two hundred yards away we saw birds going nuts and slid up on them. I got bit almost instantly and got tooled by another big Tail. Using a Scrambled Egg Kicker light surface iron on 30 pound line on a Truline D8 these Tails taught me a lesson on fighting style. After a tough fight Lal again put the gaff to the fish.

100_4016%201024x768_zpsal3fnscs.jpg

Not far away a private boater fishing solo, said Hi, and proclaimed that he had already landed 8 Tails on Iron and was done. Wow.

It was run and gun fishing and this time we ran up on boiling fish and Lal got hammered on his Tady 45 Scrambled Egg lure. I threw right into crashing fish and didn’t get bit? Wild. Lal also got schooled on a good sized Yellowtail, 24 pounds:

100_4017%201024x768_zpsyqnpgj7s.jpg

Sorry the camera lens apparently got splashed?

We continued our run and gun scenario for several more hours. I caught one more Tail at 18 pounds and so did Lal. We can’t count the number of opportunities we had to catch Tails. We saw the Sport Boats catch numerous fish on bait. Had our bait lived we know we would of caught double the amount we ended up with on the Iron. The Tails didn’t seem to have any interest in the iron in the afternoon.

We kind of crossed paths numerous times with Rueben and Todd who managed to catch 8 big Tails. Here is a picture of Todd fighting a 22 pound Tail and the both of them holding fish:

100_4023%201024x768_zpsbzyoo3dj.jpg

100_4024%201024x768_zpsheotwpeh.jpg

The weather improved after high noon and made for a surprisingly pleasant ride back to the dock at 3pm. Water temps rose to as high as 67.8 degrees as we passed the Shoe, wow?

Some pictures back at Lal’s home:

100_4034%201024x768_zpsiz9lq7vs.jpg

100_4036%201024x768_zps9n7fyfrz.jpg

100_4037%201024x768_zps7bh0cd5b.jpg

Thanks Lal, another fantastic day on the Ducky.

Hook up! Cory
That's fun fishing doesn't get much beter

Upvote 0