Rpt.-05-28-18 Monday Good Bass'n!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, May 28, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Lal and I were hoping for a repeat performance from last Saturday. We know that was unlikely, however you never know what the day’s results will be.

So I went fishing Monday 05-28-18, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:15 am. The skies were thick with a deep marine layer, the wind was calm, and as we exited the harbor, the seas were fairly flat, with only a small swell.

We headed towards our southern direction of last week’s carnage. Water temps were up a bit, reaching 61.6 degrees. It was very slow for our first hour, covering numerous structure and hard bottom spots for a few Calico and Sand Bass. Changing depths and looking for more current, the bite went off in the slightly deeper water.

We had a WFO bite for only about 30 minutes, yet this set the day up for good results overall. We worked a ton of different spots for significant meter readings, although the Bass did not climb on our selected plastic offerings on a sustained basis. We picked some Bass here and there, primarily Sand Bass, with about 20% Calico Bass. The fish this day were much smaller in size, as opposed to last week where 50% were over 2.5 pounds up to 5 pounds. Today the big fish barely reached 3 pounds, caught by Lal.

Lal-Bass-05-28-18 2008-01-04 001 (1024x767).jpg Lal-Bass-05-28-18 2008-01-04 002 (1024x768).jpg

Our count of between 55 and 60 Bass, all released to fight another day, was certainly acceptable, as compared to earlier efforts over the last few months.

We headed north to try our luck on the northern stones, where we metered unreal amounts of fish, although they all had lockjaw? We yelled uncle at about 12:30 pm.

We were on the trailer by 1:30 pm, and we finally realized sun in the harbor, with the air temps rising to a pleasant temp, as we shredded our jackets.

Thanks Lal, it was another fun day on the Ducky!

Hook up! Cory

2. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :jig::jig::cheers::appl:

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report Cory. Glad to see you did pretty well today. Yellowtail, Tuna and WSB hopefully will get going soon close by.

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. bassmeister

bassmeister Member

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    17ft astro
    Awesome job fellas! I deeply regret not being able to ride out with you guys. It was just a bit late last night to get my self together and definitely didn't want to show up not 110% bright eyed and bushy tailed and focused on the mission. To Lal. Thanks again for the most gracious invite to stretch some string and hope that a rain check session materializes in the future!!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. War Horse

War Horse Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    War Horse
    Great report Guys

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Gad if we could only get rid of this wind and deep marine layer for a week, maybe the water temps will improve enough to bring in the desired species?

7. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Not alot of toads but certainly alot of action,sometimes I enjoy catching a lot of fish rather than just a few big ones,it’s just nice to have some action without hours a nothing happening,thanks for the report! Wtg

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Had some good fishing up here on Monday as well. Slow bite overall but really good on the quality.

j

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Nice going. Has Roddy been doing much catching? He has sucked big time the last couple trips.

Tunaslam likes this.
  10. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    Nice job Cory! I'd love to fish with you someday. And by that, I mean follow you around and just watch you fish.

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Absolutely useless this time and last time one rod was all we could handle, with a bite every ten seconds!

12. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    One never knows, I believe Lal is up for buddy boating, with certain conditions.

Shewillbemine likes this.
  13. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Glad to here it, our quality was off, lots of little guys and lots more short bites!