Rpt-04-28-19 Sun-SCI

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    I will make this quick and dirty, as we didn't catch anything worthy of a picture. I fished with Captain Morris and Craig on the 26' Skipjack "Jugular". We left Huntington Harbor at 2:30 pm Saturday, 04-27-19 and stopped at Nachos for two excellent scoops of Sardines, The San Diego fleet would love this quality?

It was very overcast, but the seas were fairly calm, especially for this time of day, a 1 foot chop and maybe 8-10 knots of wind. We arrived Pyramid Cove at 6:15 pm, and too a look at the very end where we have caught Yellowtail and Tuna here. The water was 61 degrees and a little off color. There were some good marks down about 180 feet, but nothing developed and very a soon a seal was on us eating every bait.

We turned the corner and ran right into lots of white caps and 2-3 foot seas. Ran to inside the caves where other boats were anchored up for the night. We made a Halibut drift for about 20 minutes, with no takers.

Then we anchored up for the night, as it was getting dark. We had all the squid gear and the lights went out. We had heard about no squid, but what the heck, let's take a look? A few stragglers swam through the lights, and were quickly chased by seals. After an hour gave up. No other boats made squid.

Woke up at grey light about 5:40 am and the Thunderbird was 300 to 400 hundred yards off to the left of us. We watched as they metered around and never really settled in anywhere. We looked around and had good marks on the meter, but nothing but a single Calico Bass. I dropped down a double dropper loop with squid strips and caught a few Whitefish, Johnny Bass and a couple of small Calico Bass.

After three hours in the cove for nothing we watched the Thunderbird head to Pyramid Head and setup there. We decided to check it out, and arrived just as they were leaving. We found good bottom structure in 180 feet and some good marks at 50-70 feet. We fly lined baits and dropped down more dropper loops for some good Rock cod fishing.

We caught some Reds, Starries, Johnny Bass, Whitefish, Four Spots, Green Stripes and Boccaccio, nothing over three pounds. Although Craig did catch a four plus pound Calico Bass on the squid strips down about 225 feet, yikes. Didn't live so we kept him.

We ran down the island, talked to a few other private boaters we knew, and they saw a few Yellowtail, but never hooked any. They did catch some Bonito, which we never saw? I can't believe how many Sardines we fished and no Calico Bass bites? Although there was zero current. As we worked our way several miles past white Rock we passed the Thunderbird going the back East. We should of followed as they got into a nice late Yellowtail Bite, fish to 27 pounds.

We called it at about 2pm, when the wind began swirling good. Although once we got away from the island, it flat calm seas all the way home. On the trailer at a little after 5pm.

Weather wise it was great. Thanks Morris and Craig, we gave it our best and certainly had the ammo to smoke them.

colemans224, D.Day, Yella1 and 11 others like this.
  2. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    I think that Fat Calico was lost.

Nice report and I hope you do better next time out, Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Ah yes, the all too familiar dues trip!

One_Leg and Tunaslam like this.
  4. chiefen

chiefen Member

Name:
    jake
    Boat:
    parker 2320sl
    Fished the island yesterday as well. Marked a lot of fish but getting them to bite was a different story. We did manage to get 3 yellows and lost about 3-4 more. All smaller grade fish though, like 8-12 pound fish. We fished the front side of the east end. Also saw the thunderbird near us but around 10-11 noticed them leaving the island away towards the west end of catalina till they disappeared in the horizon which was weird. Thought maybe they got called in to a bite at catalina or sbi or something?? Either way nice job and great report as always!

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    You did well, congrats! Right time and right place, the lack of current was a killer?

chiefen likes this.
  6. chiefen

chiefen Member

Name:
    jake
    Boat:
    parker 2320sl
    Thanks! Yea there was def not much current at all most of the day

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report Cory. Wish I hadn’t been sick all day with a bad stomach bug or I would have been more focused and useful. Its a good thing Jugular has a large holding tank. I did see a couple Bonita flash through the chum while you were napping. We marked YT in multiple places but with no current we were unsuccessful in getting them going.
    Thunderbird running to Cat would make sense as they now have squid and other sport boats got YT at Cat.

Tunaslam likes this.
  8. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Sorry you missed the tails , next time !!!Current will make it work !!

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Glad you got the computer working again Lal! I feel naked without my computer or cell phone!